Baht to further strengthen, expert warns

webfact

well for those considering leaving Thailand you might consider the Philippines for a better exchange rate, currently 1 GBP = 65.6581 PHP and 1 USD = 51.0530 PHP ..I know there are many who will say the P.I. is not for them, but every foreign country has it's positive & negative arguments.. I rent a very nice apt. there for 9k php a month & the owner hasn't raised the rent in over 12 yrs now.. the utilities are low as well as food & other expenses are very reasonable compared to some other Asian countries.. also dealing will local & govt. officials is so much easier as most of the population there speak English..

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, anicon said:

well for those considering leaving Thailand you might consider the Philippines for a better exchange rate, currently 1 GBP = 65.6581 PHP and 1 USD = 51.0530 PHP ..I know there are many who will say the P.I. is not for them, but every foreign country has it's positive & negative arguments.. I rent a very nice apt. there for 9k php a month & the owner hasn't raised the rent in over 12 yrs now.. the utilities are low as well as food & other expenses are very reasonable compared to some other Asian countries.. also dealing will local & govt. officials is so much easier as most of the population there speak English..

Why do western expats retire in Asia?

Who can help me with the basic math?    I'm guessing it means expats are losing like 50,000 baht a year in spending power, and i really hope people don't get stressed over only 50k.  don't retire if your plan is to just survive until death.  

ok, if you are losing 5000 baht a month and then 60000 a year, i don't see the big deal.  10,000 baht a month, well, that i can imagine can change people's spending habits, but, imo, not 5000.

so who has the hard math?  hasn't affected me, ever, but i'm still curious why the baht getting x percent stronger is ruining all these expats.  

Just now, Ventenio said:

Who can help me with the basic math?    I'm guessing it means expats are losing like 50,000 baht a year in spending power, and i really hope people don't get stressed over only 50k.  don't retire if your plan is to just survive until death.  

ok, if you are losing 5000 baht a month and then 60000 a year, i don't see the big deal.  10,000 baht a month, well, that i can imagine can change people's spending habits, but, imo, not 5000.

so who has the hard math?  hasn't affected me, ever, but i'm still curious why the baht getting x percent stronger is ruining all these expats.  

Let me help you. I used to have 76,000 baht a month. Now I have 38,000 baht a month.

Beer was 32 baht a bottle in 7/11. Now it is 56 baht a bottle.

Could say a lot more, but will keep it simple.

15 minutes ago, Jrbamc said:

Let's see $6500 baht a month for 40m condo 1km from Jomtien Beach, $2000 baht a month for motorbike, $3000 baht for eating out for 2 at food court everyday. Yeah I think I could swing it.

No food courts Jomtien , You gonna travel all the way to T21 3 times a day at 50 baht a head + plus baht bus fees?

link to 6500k a month, and a map cheers

• 3 weeks later...

The western nations, except maybe the USA but they have regional strategic concerns, do not have the gumption to say no to Thai exports keep your stuff because you don't import much of ours. However, the mercantilist model is surely going to run into trouble eventually.

On 10/30/2019 at 8:12 AM, icymanipulator82 said:

I'm all for it, as I work in Thailand and get paid in THB like a local. Means my holidays are cheaper, YES!

Then I feel sorry for you. How much people can make in Thailand. Not big money. Working 48 hours per week. 

I think you must not be happy but sad.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:58 AM, greeneking said:

Let me help you. I used to have 76,000 baht a month. Now I have 38,000 baht a month.

Beer was 32 baht a bottle in 7/11. Now it is 56 baht a bottle.

Could say a lot more, but will keep it simple.

That one of the most reasonable comment I find in this forum. Yes that how became expensive.

Pulse air pollution, immigration problems, to much cars, no forest.

From the beautiful country , Thailand became one of the most industrial and dirty polluted country. Destroy all forest and build fast train. Enjoy to ride fast train and look devastated landscape. 

The government in issan have many projects. The destroy the forest or what left of it and try to build parks. But the never finish the projects. They do 30 procent. Mountain of sand and dirt people can see when they travel around north east

On 11/2/2019 at 9:57 PM, Ventenio said:

I can tell you basic mathematics. I spend around 80.000 baht per months. I do it since 2009.

Now l lose every months  41.000 baht per months. Because of Norwegian irons fall down by 51 procent. I do not calculate the general prices rise by 70 procent. It will make 121 procent. More than 90.000 people months.

I do not go much to restaurants and drink beer most home.

Electric 5.000 per months.

Water ,big garden 1200 per months.

Dog, bird , fish food  5.000 per months.

To take care of one car and 3 motorbikes + petrol 5000 per months.

To take care of house and garden small things 3000 per months.

Food cook home buy Marko 2 people me and my girlfriend 6000 per months.

I do not take care of any children because I do want to spent one baht on them.

Much more ....

See little man if you want to have nice house how much it is cost.

Or if you stay in small apartment and eat chicken and tuna fish everyday than you can live less.

What of the meaning of the life in Thailand then. Come from Getto and live in Getto?

1 hour ago, Trolleen said:

I try to sell my house and move from that sk... The only problem I have that no one want to buy it. Even then I have modern and very nice house. Find some other place in central America or maybe Filipins or...

Selling a house anywhere in Thailand thats not a prime location spot is really really hard now. You might have to cut your price drasticaly just to sell. Sometimes its better to eat a loss and move on. People here in Hua Hin try to sell their house for years without success.

True. I try to maintain it nice every years. Thailand have very strong sun. Paint .... . The cost of building  in Kalasin 140'meter modern house with car parking, boarder, garden .... land( 700.000)

Around 4.000.000 baht. I can not get 3.000.000 now. House was build in 2015/2016.

Big Windows. Nice bath with Jacuzzi.... European kichen ( 200.000) ....extra to 4.000.000.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:04 PM, Sticky Wicket said:

Yes i was in one the other day!

Got to add 17% to those prices too!!

20190918_171518.jpg

So glad I moved back to Australia.  It means I can enjoy a good Feral War Hog much cheaper than in Thailand. A$11.50 for a midi and A$22 for a pint (that most likely won't be filled to the top) is a joke.  Value for money is no longer a good reason to visit Thailand so that just leaves the pollution, scowlling faces, road toll and dual pricing as the only valid reasons.

9 minutes ago, mngmn said:

So glad I moved back to Australia.  It means I can enjoy a good Feral War Hog much cheaper than in Thailand. A$11.50 for a midi and A$22 for a pint (that most likely won't be filled to the top) is a joke.  Value for money is no longer a good reason to visit Thailand so that just leaves the pollution, scowlling faces, road toll and dual pricing as the only valid reasons.

How,s the female side of the equation ?

1 hour ago, Trolleen said:

Electric 5.000 per months.

Water ,big garden 1200 per months.

Dog, bird , fish food  5.000 per months.

To take care of one car and 3 motorbikes + petrol 5000 per months.

To take care of house and garden small things 3000 per months.

Food cook home buy Marko 2 people me and my girlfriend 6000 per months.

I'm going to turn you in to Greta.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:57 PM, Ventenio said:

You are lucky man that you come from Australia

14 minutes ago, Olmate said:

I'm in a relationship so that's identical to how it was in Thailand. Plus my partner is on track to get PR and eventually citizenship which means we have more security in our relationship compared to my 'year at a time' visa to stay in Thailand.  Getting an Australian visa for her was expensive at A$7k but then again even that is cheaper that depositing A$20k in a Thai bank for my lifetime to get an extension of stay based on retirement.

You might be surprised to find out that Australia can even be competitive for 'horizontal relaxation'.  Checking with the website of a random Melbourne brothel it seems that one can get '30 minutes $80 nude relaxation and hand relief'.  So about the same as a current bar fine in most Thai tourist areas.  Bet the girls are better looking as well!

On 10/25/2019 at 11:44 AM, Yinn said:

Thailand ok. If world slump, we will be ok.

The country and the rich folk who own most of it will be. The average Thai household, that's already heavily in debt, will have a harder time of it. 

32 minutes ago, mngmn said:

21 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Why. What is problems with female. He can return go to vietnam and find nice woman for less money.

You think that that prostitutes are different?

Archived