Baht to further strengthen, expert warns

webfact

2 minutes ago, KenKadz said:

spent three months in Cambodia this year and find it a comfortable environment.

More comfortable than the constantly changing, and inconsistent, regulations and requirements of the Thai government for a retirement visa.

Where Will you go when they to tighten visas which they will! You spend your glory days on the run from one s***hole to another and your kidding yourself , Cambodia is a cesspit.. sad way to live

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, madmen said:

Where Will you go when they to tighten visas which they will! You spend your glory days on the run from one s***hole to another and your kidding yourself , Cambodia is a cesspit.. sad way to live

My life my choice!

If visa restrictions tighten it is easy enough for me to relocate.

Apparently you did not read the part where I said I found Cambodia comfortable.

And if you are talking about cleanliness and infrastructure Cambodia is no more a "<deleted> hole" than Thailand.

Eat ( get ripped off), Shop ( get ripped off ), Spend ( get ripped off). Take a taxi ( get ripped off ) invest in real estate ( get ripped off) , Take an ocean boat trip .....................  They’re not even TRYING to disguise their blaring blatant GREEDY agenda.                   Clearly a few are becoming obscenely wealthy at the cost of the country................Driver fled the scene .  It’s wake up time kids, that light at the end of the tunnel could be a train. Sad.

Many expats will benefit from the strong baht, most of thise who are working and those who were wise enough to invest here when the pound/$ was strong.

Fiat is a thing if the past and willnsoon be useless, and most my savings are in BTC and XRP, soon to be used by the IMF and world bank to solve the debt crisis.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:25 PM, Yinn said:

That at Why is good now we strong, strong baht, strong employment, strong balance.

Sorry, I not understand that.

Pollution?

anyway. All you guy sad because your money weak.

the baht is strong, not weak, so I am happy.

Every exporting company in Thailand is struggling right now, you're delusional if you don't understand how that can not continue without consequences. The incredible baht increase is not sustainable.

2 minutes ago, bergan said:

Every exporting company in Thailand is struggling right now, you're delusional if you don't understand how that can not continue without consequences.

Just change sign in front of shop from export to import. Problem solved

48 minutes ago, mike787 said:

The strength of the baht is only increasing hardship on expats trying to live here. 

You forget the Thai People whom have gone abroad to earn money to send home to their families, Is it not as hard for them, and the poor people of Thailand who cannot afford simple rice

usd_thb.jpg.e5e56ae7a511186f6c000e3abaf9649b.jpg

I did my homework, and got an exchange rate history graph. i wish i bought THB in 1998-2002 ????

Looking at 2009-2016, one can surely see a shadow of what is happening now.

Being an amateur stock trader i guess we will have a minimum of 28 somewhere in january with a rebound to current level in may/june, and later 

it will 'rocket' to 36 in about 2.5 years.

Nothing will happen in just one day, the dynamic is very slow.

I've seen some traders comments, they are waiting for 27-28 to open long positions. a sweetspot to buy in (they actually sell thb to buy dollar).

10 hours ago, mike787 said:

The strength of the baht is only increasing hardship on expats trying to live here. 

well then go home for gods sake.

Im a part time Molly here, but with all the new rules and the exchange, Im not going to be here all winter next year. I love Thailand and would continue to use it as a 7 month "base" for travel but it makes no sense if I have to jump though hoops and take a wallet beating. Im better off splitting my time between here Cambo, and Laos/Goa for next winter. I may do rural too, the air in BKK sucks. I think Im getting my wilderness legs back too, Ive had my urban break. I guess I need to learn to ride a scooter.

8 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

It is hard to imagine the THB remaining below 33/USD long term, but I might be surprised. Either way, price parity is closer to 35-37, and it will limit my personal investment here. 

I loaded up my Thai account at 32 ish so Im not exchanging more right now. 

51 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Well after reading all the experts, it’s pretty clear it will either get stronger, get weaker, stay about the same or continue fluctuating.

Or, the so called experts are idiots, looking to blame others for their mistakes or problems.  Rates move up and down every day.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:11 AM, webfact said:

the baht is expected to strengthen further

Isn't this a good thing?

Capitalism is characterized by financial "booms" and "busts." Everyone is selling their SET shares. So that's good! Invest part of your pension into Thai stocks while shares are low. There's a lot of opportunity if you have the patience. Meanwhile, get an ESL job and exchange your salaries to pounds/euros/dollars. Your not going to live in Thailand forever and you would profit in the long run putting your Thai money in your native countries bank account NOW while the baht is strong rather than later when the baht is weaker.

For example,

• 1 year ago, Oct 29, 2018: 1 AUD = 23THB
  • Today, Oct 29, 2019: 1 AUD = 20.5THB

A year ago, if I saved 15,000THB from my Thailand ESL job, I'd have only 652AUD. However, because the baht is stronger, for that same 15,000THB, I would have 731AUD. That's 80AUD more money!

Don't complain about high baht. Think like a rich man and find out how to INVEST. Only consumers enjoy low prices because they are spenders, not investors.  

Get smart, people! 

On 10/25/2019 at 4:29 PM, aBigSmile said:

The litany of explanations is pure governmental propaganda that attempts to mask the true reason behind the strengthening THB; namely, a relatively high interest rate that attracts foreign capital to park in Thailand. As long that disparity exists, the TBH will keep raising, harming tourism and export alike.

BTW, the interest rate in Thailand is hight as the lending institutes puts pressure on the government to maintain it as such, so they can earn handsomely off their loans. A classic case where the greeds of the few runs roughshod over the many.  

What you (and most people) dont realise is that low rates is (in effect) stealing money off investors, savers and retired folk.

The banks will profit the same margins no matter if the rate is high or low.

But when rates are near zero they get to use investors money for FREE

while at the same time they will adjust the borrowing rate at 2-3% or more, so they can profit handsomely.

In affect, the money stolen from investors "dissapears" out of the economy, in that it gets used to put more people in debt, and that of course means less money spent by those groups which hurts the economy more.

A post containing comments in violation of the following forum rule has been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

well then go home for gods sake.

Im a part time Molly here, but with all the new rules and the exchange, Im not going to be here all winter next year. I love Thailand and would continue to use it as a 7 month "base" for travel but it makes no sense if I have to jump though hoops and take a wallet beating. Im better off splitting my time between here Cambo, and Laos/Goa for next winter. I may do rural too, the air in BKK sucks. I think Im getting my wilderness legs back too, Ive had my urban break. I guess I need to learn to ride a scooter.

Excellent idea, I think I’ll do the same except include Vietnam along with Cambodia....Thailand is not the Elysium that once was an easy and cheap life.  Those days are gone for good.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:24 AM, Cadbury said:

What about Bt28.5 by September next year as some are predicting. Should that happen it will make a huge dent in exports and put the country into an economic death dive.

What will Khun Prayut Chan-o-cha self appointed Chairman of the Economic Management Committee do then? 

Become a monk !

You guys should all be central bankers!!!!  such intelligent insight.  "death dive".   LOLOLOLOLOLOL.   Yes, well, I hope you used your insight and BOUGHT before, and bought real estate in your home country and make sooooooo much money!!!   super easy.    Baht might get to 25, get used to it.  wow, who has sooo little money that a baht going from 35 to 25 will ruin their life?????????????????    Name the country you're from, and I'll tell you how you could have easily have made sooooooooooo much money.  

it's funny because cheap charlie likes to play the victim, and is now mad his 20,000 baht budget per decade might not work out.  so now he predicts the entire world will explode.   he's not pulling himself up out of this hole, so bring everyone down into it.    really funny

On 10/25/2019 at 3:47 PM, keith101 said:

As the Thai baht gains more strength exports and tourism will fall even further and dropping the its rate by just 25 basis points will do nothing for the economy .

It seems destined for the Aussie dollar to drop below todays rate of 20.6 to into the 19s by next year making it impossible for me at least to continue living here and will probably lead to my divorcing my wife and returning to Aus forever , at least back home a dollar is worth a dollar and wont change .

Definitely getting more expensive in LOS however still remarkably lower cost of living than Oz.  I have just been doing some work in a few Pacific countries - again Thailand notably lower cost of living.  Our dollar is not wonderful globally these days.  As suggested by another subscriber - perhaps consider riding out this current situation at least until the US/China trade war and Brexit play out. 

On 10/25/2019 at 4:25 PM, Yinn said:

All you guy sad because your money weak.

the baht is strong, not weak, so I am happy.

Enjoy it while you can. Tourism will drop massively, exports will dry up as your neighbours offer far better alternatives. All this leading to more and more Thai people with less money to spend and less work. But hey, as long as you are happy Yinn.

Archived