Baht to further strengthen, expert warns

webfact

I read  many comments on this topic . I look like many people here stack to thailand. There many nice countries in the world. Panama and Costa Rica have very good options. Beautiful nature more cheap than thailand.,very good visa options beautiful woman. Why stick to Thailand like to toalett paper sticks  to some..... 

I understand like many people are old 70 upp and have to much power of movement.

I myself stay in Thailand for 13 years. 6 months in Europe working 6 months in Thailand vacation.

I rent a land for 30 years and build a house for 5.000.000. Now I can not sell a house that's why I have to come and spend some time in Thailand. But I looking forward I will go to vietnam for 3'months, and Malaysia for 2 months. Only 1 months I will spend in Thailand. Future for my pension money can be Costa Rica , Panama or maybe vietnam.

Do I lost a money. Yes I did. Not small money.  I ask my self do I want to stay in house for 5.000.000 bath, surround system for 100.000 bath air conditions for 80.000 bath... My answer is No.

What Thailand has to offer?

1.Junta government who has no respect for people

2. Big traffic. Cars are every where

3. Pollute air and beaches. No jungle just rice fields

4. No freedom of movement for foreigners. Crazy visa issuers

5. Crazy prices (some staff almost  same as in Norway). Bad exchange rate. To transfer the Money now it like throw then out in garbage.

Not for me. South America can be the future

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way thai economic will not get 0.05procent hurt even all experts leave Thailand. It only  around 90.000 experts live in this country. Different story with a tourist. Yes Chinese is the biggest money flow in for thai economy because of numbers. One European to five Chinese. Chinese stays in 4-5 stars hotels ( I see many). It already plus for hotels owners. I spend to as same as European men five Chinese spend more the average north European (Sweden, Norway, Germany...) I do not take in considerations south European because they almost same power as average Chinese (Greece Italy Spain). Chinese get use to pollution and dirt that's why they will be still coming. The thai economy will sure suffer because of lack of European tourists but will not die . Chinese will still come , maybe not as many as before , but come.

Indians will not take in consideration. There are some who have big money but not many. They fit more for sale cheap fake clothes on thai markets.

I don't quite understand this thingy. Airlines in India have recently started more flights to Bangkok. There are more flights from Indian airports to BKK/hkt than there were ever. Also the price is like 200 usd or up for a return. The flights are never empty. They are full.

Does the rising baht really create a difference to tourism? Exporters loose. But those tourists who was the a lady? Where else they will find. No place in the world is like Pattaya.

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, keith101 said:

As the Thai baht gains more strength exports and tourism will fall even further and dropping the its rate by just 25 basis points will do nothing for the economy .

It seems destined for the Aussie dollar to drop below todays rate of 20.6 to into the 19s by next year making it impossible for me at least to continue living here and will probably lead to my divorcing my wife and returning to Aus forever , at least back home a dollar is worth a dollar and wont change .

Thai airways in big trouble!

Tourists from Europe not flying Thai, or coming, TM30 and visa conditions driving expats out, the exchange rate sickening those who can just manage further into despair.

Koh Samui is dead the bars are dead, one of my friends who has run one for 25 years is going to close shop.

The place is a army state, street vendors are being run out of town as the big boys don,t want competition, the flow on effect of the bar trade and street vendor economy will only lead to drug dealing and crime.

Finance companies will be repossessing at an even greater rate.

The only savior may be when big business, the likes of the Flag carrier National airline collapses , then we may see a change.

21 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Thai airways in big trouble!

Tourists from Europe not flying Thai, or coming, TM30 and visa conditions driving expats out, the exchange rate sickening those who can just manage further into despair.

Koh Samui is dead the bars are dead, one of my friends who has run one for 25 years is going to close shop.

The place is a army state, street vendors are being run out of town as the big boys don,t want competition, the flow on effect of the bar trade and street vendor economy will only lead to drug dealing and crime.

Finance companies will be repossessing at an even greater rate.

The only savior may be when big business, the likes of the Flag carrier National airline collapses , then we may see a change.

Thai Airways is not the airline of choice for many Europeans, they prefer their own national carriers and always have, you might as well say that Thai people are not flying British Airways and ask why!

The bar trade has been suffering for years, they were built with western tourists in mind. Now Chinese and Asian tourists are in the majority and they don't do the bar scene, the whole demographics picture has changed and bar owners are only now realising that.

TBH the street vendors needed some culling and better control over quality in some areas. It was a bad move to get rid of them completely but some downsizing was in order.

2 hours ago, ineedadvice said:

I don't quite understand this thingy. Airlines in India have recently started more flights to Bangkok. There are more flights from Indian airports to BKK/hkt than there were ever. Also the price is like 200 usd or up for a return. The flights are never empty. They are full.

Does the rising baht really create a difference to tourism? Exporters loose. But those tourists who was the a lady? Where else they will find. No place in the world is like Pattaya.

You can get a single BKK to Delhi for 1,900 Baht inclusive...return, 3,600.....thats cheap

You can get a single BKK to Delhi for 1,900 Baht inclusive...return, 3,600.....thats cheap
Oh sorry. Del-bkk return tickets start price is around 15000 rupee with low cost airlines. But they all give 20 kg baggage. That's like 6000 baht or so for a return. Thai airways is normally 10000 baht return and u get the hatred from the thai people (airline crew) right at the moment when u board the plane.

Thais in general don't like Indians and u can sense it the moment u board a thai smile or thai airways from India.

6 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Everyone is getting hit with the exchange rate,they know the tourist are not coming and the 3 mth short timers are doing the same.let hope it will not stay at this level for much longer

Its not only the strength of the Baht, compared to 15 or 20 years ago, an array of attractive destinations have opened up tourists or expats wish to explore. Thailand has in a way become a victim of its own popularity. Let's face it, the traditional destinations are hardly idllyic anymore and what originally attracted people simply dosnt exist in Thailand anymore.

3 hours ago, Fireyfish said:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but today $AUD1,000.00 = 20,575 baht  it also = 34,928 PHP (Philippine Peso) and the cost of living in PI is much cheaper ...

But then you would be in the Philippines.  Doh

20 hours ago, Cadbury said:

What about Bt28.5 by September next year as some are predicting. Should that happen it will make a huge dent in exports and put the country into an economic death dive.

What will Khun Prayut Chan-o-cha self appointed Chairman of the Economic Management Committee do then? 

He will do what he has done so well over the past 5 years - NOTHING

21 hours ago, keith101 said:

As the Thai baht gains more strength exports and tourism will fall even further and dropping the its rate by just 25 basis points will do nothing for the economy .

It seems destined for the Aussie dollar to drop below todays rate of 20.6 to into the 19s by next year making it impossible for me at least to continue living here and will probably lead to my divorcing my wife and returning to Aus forever , at least back home a dollar is worth a dollar and wont change .

I was sorry to read about your situation but it has me curious as to how moving back to Australia would make matters better.  When I visited Australia it seemed quite expensive compared to Thailand.  Doesn't your small pension go further here, even with the bad exchange rate?  I am an American and I live a much better life here than I would in America on my monthly small Social Security and pension checks.   Good luck to you.

I do not see the current strength of the baht as sustainable. Tourism numbers are going up, but income is dropping precipitously, as the quality of tourist is a pale shadow of what the nation used to see, even 5 years ago. Ask anyone in the tourism industry, and they all say the same thing. Income is way, way down. People who are coming here are not spending much, unless you are a 7/11, or a Tesco. And with the ever stronger baht, how will exports be sustained? How will Thailand remain competitive? Inflation combined with the rising baht is making life difficult for many. Will people retain their faith in the SET? Will they continue buying Thai bonds? Will the real estate market here remain steady? 

There are a lot of variables on the horizon, including a very real possibility of a major recession, or worse. I see a major correction in the markets ahead, and how will that affect Thailand? Are they really an island unto their own? I do not think so. 

VND has been stable and while I've no idea would suspect Vietnam far more interesting investment for Chinese factories than Thailand. Blaming US China fracas is ridiculous.

I recall reading rice exports down 25% since last year. Nero fiddled...

Just imported a big EUR amount from my Euro account in SIN a couple days ago at an painfully low exchange rate.

This was not meant to be as it is part of my nest egg meant to be inherited by my TGF when I die and it should have stayed in SIN.

TGF and I talked about this. A while back she wanted me to keep my Euros in SIN and wait for the THB to go down before transferring EUR into THB here.

But now we are of the opinion that the THB will not only not go down but probably still go up steadily.

And we have decided that the best for her is me bringing my weak Euros in Thailand now and she'll buy land (in her name, of course).

Land can only go up in price so that it should compensate for the Euro going down if left in SIN.

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

San Miguel !!!....seriously foreign foodstuffs and restaurants are a lot cheaper, buying property can also be cheaper but the same regulations as here...scooters a bit cheaper...clothes cheaper

There is nothing is Philippines of any substance or quality. It's a very sad, desperate place that will only grow more so. Why do you think it's never caught on as an expat destination. The people are absolutely inscrutable. But go ahead.

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I am married with a kid and we lived on that amount quite comfortably for 2 years recently. Think your monthly review is somewhat flawed

Hi Richard you must manage your affairs with great prudence. I get buy with a monthly budget of 48k baht. Of that figure I spend or put aside 8k baht for vehicle expenses every month, we clock up 3000kms a month. Food and toiletries come to 16k baht a month.

Most of shopping is done Big C or Makro with some veggies bought local market so that’s 50% of our budget gone. The rest is some utilities, entertainment, Insurance’s, clothing, putting aside a few dollars for some short breaks.

We have a daughter who works and lives with us too who contributes with some food.

Prior to the current baht exchange rate we had a few extra dollars for new TV’s, furniture, many road trips.

I have adjusted the amount of superannuation I withdraw monthly to ensure it’s longevity.

I don’t want to live like a hermit, not suggesting you are. I live in Thailand because I can have a good quality life but no way on 38k baht.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:12 AM, PJPom said:

The current Australian pension is approximately 37,900 baht, a reasonable sum to live on in Thailand but of course it doesn’t meet the Immigration requirement.

I think that we just have to sit it out and hope that the US and China get their act together and things improve.

It may be that the Aussie dollar is worth a dollar but how much will it buy, for me the only benefit of moving back would be health care and seeing that I believe I will just drop dead one day it isn’t a game changer.

To those of you seeing only a gloomy future don’t give up, always look on the bright side .

Agreed, and my pension is similar if i go back to the Uk what will my pensions buy, after i have paid for everything a couple of beers everyday will be like a dream.

It is only the IO that is the problem meeting the requirement, get your thinking cap on and it is possible !!!! 

My view is if your low on cash you are better here with a wife to look after you than at home in welfare housing if you haven't a house  to go back to, me I'm off to watch England book there place in the World cup rugby final against the All Blacks with a couple of beers, everybody calm down its worrying for us all but it is no good jumping out of the frying pan is it

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

There is nothing is Philippines of any substance or quality. It's a very sad, desperate place that will only grow more so. Why do you think it's never caught on as an expat destination. The people are absolutely inscrutable. But go ahead.

It was quite nice in the 1920s and 1930s.

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Living at one time in a western country.

Then Thailand.

Then lowering a lifestyle to a 3rd world environment.

Wow.

That sounds good to you?  All seems like a negative decay of a life to me.

What would be next?  Africa?

And, what about the health care and hospitals.  Ever been to a Cambodian hospital?  Go to one and walk around...

Good luck my friend.  All seems very very sad.

We all make our own choices in life!

Spent three months in Cambodia this year and find it comfortable, more comfortable than all the constantly changing rules and regulations of the Thai g

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Living at one time in a western country.

Then Thailand.

Then lowering a lifestyle to a 3rd world environment.

Wow.

That sounds good to you?  All seems like a negative decay of a life to me.

What would be next?  Africa?

And, what about the health care and hospitals.  Ever been to a Cambodian hospital?  Go to one and walk around...

Good luck my friend.  All seems very very sad.

We all make our own choices in life!

I spent three months in Cambodia this year and find it a comfortable environment.

More comfortable than the constantly changing, and inconsistent, regulations and requirements of the Thai government for a retirement visa.

And if I need something I can not get in Cambodia it is only a one hour flight to Bangkok.

(FYI: Amazon (US and UK) deliver to Cambodia now.)

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

It was quite nice in the 1920s and 1930s.

I'm sure this is jest. You would know. I'd imagine even in the 70s. It used to have per capita income equal to Thailand. They let their population get clearly out if control. Nation hasn't been able to feed itself for a long time.

Their mindset is more Pacific Islanders than East Asian

Archived