Bang Bang

maerim

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an accepted fact that many murders are not registered as such; wisely, the police statistics that I saw talked of "murders known to the police".

As we know, the most common cause of death in Thailand is 'heart failure', and if crime statistics world wide are tossed around like the unemployment figures or other data, it is pointless to use them in arguments.

PS: what year were you in the PI?

I was station on Okinawa from 85 to 87 in the army with 1st SFG(A). The P.I was the hot spot at the time and was sent their alot. Plus took all my leave there.

OK, I spent lots of time on Okinawa as well, anchored in Buckner Bay, was all over SE Asia every year from '58-65, back again in '74 and have been mostly here in LOS since. Love this part of the world.

Sure would seem easier to pick up a gun and shoot it at someone than to grab a knife and launch it in........!! Ask Michael Moore ! (is that the name ?)

Yes it's Michael Moore, "Bowling in Columbine". I just watched it last night and thought it was a really good documentary, true to every word in it. I can't believe the minds of these people, you never realize the extent of it when you are living in the states. It's not about the number of firearms, it's the sad fact of plain stupidity and ignorance that's the killer.

It's not about the number of firearms, it's the sad fact of plain stupidity and ignorance that's the killer

In about 30 seconds Kev will tell you its not guns that kill people but people who kill people.

The fact they use guns to kill people seems to have gone over his head somewhere along the line.

maerim;;It's not about the number of firearms, it's the sad fact of plain stupidity and ignorance that's the killer

In about 30 seconds Kev will tell you its not guns that kill people but people who kill people.

The fact they use guns to kill people seems to have gone over his head somewhere along the line.

I just can't understand a guy like you,,you answer a question and then can't even see the answer that you post,,

But if plain stupidity and Ignorance were the killer ,then they would have you locked up for numerous life sentences to run consecutively :o

In about 30 seconds Kev will tell you its not guns that kill people but people who kill people

My apologies it took a bit longer.

That's the way Kev kill e'm all then will be no mistakes.

On the other hand there will be nobody left to make mistakes. Yee Haa.

:o Being new to these boards am rather hesitant to make a reply, However having been around the world & various places, Have seen my share of violence in different forms, And being prepared is the best form of protection & be aware of surroundings, Not knowing the gun laws in Thailand i cannot say just what would be required for a carry permit, So i am inclined to go along with Kevin as that sounds like the best position to take. BTW myself i have had a carry permit most of my adult life and know well how to & when to use it, But having such protection doesn't mean to go looking for trouble. Thanks for listening.

In about 30 seconds Kev will tell you its not guns that kill people but people who kill people

My apologies it took a bit longer.

That's the way Kev kill e'm all then will be no mistakes.

On the other hand there will be nobody left to make mistakes. Yee Haa.

maerim said;;It's not about the number of firearms, it's the sad fact of plain stupidity and ignorance that's the killer"

Then he forgets it and comes up with this..well what do you expect from the brain damaged.

Then he forgets it and comes up with this..well what do you expect from the brain damaged

Not as brain damaged as someone who has a bullet lodged in his brain by some Rambo wannabe.

Way to go Kev, the land of the free and gun culture frightens me to death.

Is your boss Charton Heston dead yet because he looks like a zombie to me when I have the misfortune to see him promoting weapons of mass destruction.

Now go and sit on the back porch and polish your "piece" until you calm down a bit.

Most sensible people when in a foreign country keep their noses clean and avoid trouble at any cost.

Danger in Thailand is not something that is likely to come looking for you - one has to flirt with it.

Well said. best advice I've read yet

the trouble is too many people do 'flirt' with it!!

are u guys for real??

whose brave enough to come visit me just outside of jerusalem; my parents come every yyear and we travel every where w/o crossing the soldier barriers in to the territories (im in israel) because that really is just plain stupidity...

when i went to thailand in february, my daughter messaged me that " she's ok "-- i later phoned when i got to bangkok to find out that a bus she takes everyday got bombed but she had just missed it on the way to school...but a friend of hers blew up; the day i left ban chiang khom, there was a bomb by her school and the maitenance man for the school died. people wake up...

my time in thailand was the most relaxing thing i ve done in years; it took me a week just to re adjust to normal living, like worrying about local crime if i walk at night. when i went to the big c in udon i autimatically stopped for the uniformed worker at the door to check my bag and go over me with a metal detector; my thai friend (who lived lyears in israel) just laughted because i did that over and over again...

when i saw groups of people standing around and more then one uniform, i crossed the street and looked to get away...u dont know what it is to walk in a nice city and not be on guard for some bearded type wearing a heavy jacket in the heat w/wires hanging out shouting allah ahkbar....

i was witness to the bombing a few years ago in SBARRO restaraunt in the center of town with my parents visiting from the states; they still come every year but we do avoid bad neighborhoods that are known for crime (russian mafia, morroccan mafia), not for bombs...

guns kill; people pull the trigger

my judo teacher taught me: if you can, walk away.... in the age of cell phones a call for help to police or whatever is better than running into the fracas and getting killed (a kid on our kibbutz got killed in jenin when he went back in to get his soldiers out), and many times, the first aid people get the second set of bombs that are set up just for that.

sometimes a discreet call on cell phone, or throwing a few rocks thru a window to wake up a group of people is a better and safer way to help fellow humans especially if you're 44 kilo and a woman.

every other person here carries something either private or army issue to every where, from childrens parks to resaraunts and on the bus, big or small; but there is very little of what is called crimes of passion....

among the russian groups here knives are popular and there are lots of 'crimes of passion and drunkeness'... maybe this is the thai style of shootings?

BBQ shooting:-near Henley-on Thames.

Huge press coverage in the U.K. over a jilted boyfriend, killed two women and seriously injured another, absolutely awful and I sympathise with the berieved.

The police also have him in custody.

The original post by me didn't even get a mention in the papers so it tells us something about people getting bumped off here.

I for one am very protective of my life so I don't get involved here.

Well I gotta give my 2 cents worth here.

I have been to Thailand many times, and also been to other countrys. And I really do think this post is <deleted>. Firstly alot of the murders in Siam are drug related, considering 70% of the heroin from the golden triangle is smuggled through Siam, it's not suprising. Most drug producing countrys, or countrys next to them where the drugs are being shipped out have very high murder rates. I.E. Colombia & Brazil, to name two.

On my travels to Thailand, the only problems I have seen people having is when they drink too much, or take libertys with the locals, or get involved with the hookers and try to mess them around. The Thais have a very high tolerance to farangs. I mean how long would a Thai man last in the UK if he took libertys with the locals, or what would the pimps in Kings cross (notorious area of London) do to a Thai who upset one of their girls??? I guess that answers this post. Thailand I have found very safe, even walked round the back streets of some very dodgy looking soi's @ 3:00 AM wearing over £2000 in jewellery, and even seen groups of Thai men sitting round. At first i was nervous and thought "oh <deleted>", but they didn't even bat an eye-lid. And I know for sure if it was the back streets of London at that time of night I wouldn't have lasted 2 mins.

So Thailand is a very safe country from what I have experienced.

Thais at worst can be extremely bold.I HAD A BARTENDER pull a 45 cal. colt on me two years ago in pattaya late at night.He hit me in the forhead twice with it[not very hard]and told me to get out.My friend and i were loaded but not bothering anyone.I walked out and he followed me with the pistol to intimidate me.He thought he was a real badass..no one botherd to call police and i knew better.A bartender in the states could be lookin at 5 yrs. for this.Honestly it is fortunate this man did not try that it my country..the outcome would have been drastically different for him.I observe that bad Thais can seem immune to consequences when they pull this stuff.They know farangs are unarmed for one.

:o Question: How do you tell the difference between liberals, conservatives, and a Texan?

Answer: Imagine the following situation.

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges. You are carrying a Glock .40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Liberal Answer:

"Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids? Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation? Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children? Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me? Should I call 9-1-1? Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior. This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and try to come to a consensus.

Conservative Answer:

BANG!

Texan Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

click.... (sounds of reloading).

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

click.

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips??" :D

Firstly alot of the murders in Siam are drug related
This one was over a woman
   And I really do think this post is <deleted>.

Why do you ? I think some very valid points have been made.

Mae Rim is correct in noting that Thailand is indeed a very violent country. The government and the Royal Thai Police try hard to insure this violence does not impact the tourists, including the ex-pat community. And since the local constabulary has such intimate connections amongst the dark forces, those who harm foreigners are quickly brought to justice.

But the bottom line is that you simply must walk away from any possible altercation with a Thai male. Thai culture does not allow for the outward expression of anger, and thus when a Thai man becomes angry he has little experience in coping with that anger and he is very likely to become violent and homicidal, even over minor matters. Mae Rim was, coincidentally, the home of one of the better known ex-pats in Chiang Mai, one of the very, very few Farangs to obtain permanent residency in the Kingdom. And even he, despite his decades of experience, failed to avoid an argument in a bar with a Thai and was killed a few years ago.

I lived full time in Thailand for perhaps a dozen years, never amongst ex-pats, and I can count at least 10 Thai friends or acquaintances who have been killed. Of the many dozens of years in the US and other countries I can only name one acquaintance who I knew to be a homicide victim.

I do not consider Thailand to be dangerous as far as random violence. I feel comfortable walking the streets at any time of night in Thai cities or towns. But I have many times made an expedient exit out of eateries and bars when Thai men start getting boisterous or when Thai men begin arguing.

Thais at worst can be extremely bold.I HAD A BARTENDER pull a 45 cal. colt on me two years ago in pattaya late at night.He hit me in the forhead twice with it[not very hard]and told me to get out.My friend and i were loaded but not bothering anyone.I walked out and he followed me with the pistol to intimidate me.He thought he was a real badass..no one botherd to call police and i knew better.A bartender in the states could be lookin at 5 yrs. for this.Honestly it is fortunate this man did not try that it my country..the outcome would have been drastically different for him.I observe that bad Thais can seem immune to consequences when they pull this stuff.They know farangs are unarmed for one.

You must have committed some bad juju to get him so pi##ed off. Come on now!

Wrong did not.First, if u will accept that i was unarmed,what would justify pulling out a WEAPON on an unarmed man and committing an aggravated assault..the answer:nothing.No matter what, asking me to leave would have been quite enuf..yeh?The sob looked like he was on drugs.Personally,i thought about shooting the little pr..k.No gun unfortunately.Where i come from pay back for pistol whipping is indicated...i let it go.

Maerim,

You and I don't agree on a few things, but I am 100% in agreement with you on this Post.

I have seen a Thai guy with a gun stuffed in his mouth by another Thai all because of road rage.

A friend witnessed an English guy wade into an argument in a bar in Pattaya (Second Road oposite Big C). The Thai guy shot the English guy dead - the cause of the problem 'argument over late payment of rent'.

KevinN

ANY PLACE IN THE WORLD IS NOT SAFE IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR TROUBLE,AND MOST PLACES ARE SAFE IF YOU DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN A PLACE OR SITUATION THAT YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN.

The gun death statistics for the USA reveal that the majority of people shot dead are actually shot with a gun that is owned in the household they live in.

It therefore follows that keeping a gun at home immediately introduces you and your family to the highest risk of gun death.

And the safest city in the world is?........... Sinapore

And Singapore has 0% Civilian Gun ownership!

CMT QUOTE;Not this guns don't kill people argument again....

In that case, I want a couple M-16's, a few Apache helicopters and an F-16. Don't worry, highly sophisticated military weapons don't kill people, people kill people! Feel safer now?

Wake up people."

Equipped with the intelligence to make a post like that must mean one of 2 things,, You are severely brain damaged or a soap dodger one or the other.

Just give everyone guns and we'll all be safer.