Tourist numbers well on track statistics show

webfact

4 hours ago, dimitriv said:

You ask 100 people from 1 country how much they spent, and assumethat all people from that country behaved the same.  I don't think there is another way to do this.

That's exactly how they do it. Tourism Malaysia did a detailed survey with me at KL airport a view years ago: "How long did you stay, and how much did you spend for this and that...?" - I hadn't kept track and I didn't really want to do it, so instead of saying: "I don't remember.", I made up the numbers right there and then, exaggerating most figures by about 300 or 400 percent...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Selatan said:

(...) The sexpats at Sadao are mostly Malay (Muslim) Malaysians and the number is not that big. Chinese Malaysians also like to visit Hat Yai, but also mostly for the food and shopping.

Actually, karaoke lounges and brothels are a major income source in Hat Yai, and the clientele is mostly Malaysian.

• Like 2

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

Actually, karaoke lounges and brothels are a major income source in Hat Yai, and the clientele is mostly Malaysian.

Yes, of course, Malaysians do visit karaoke lounges and brothels in Hat Yai. But sex is no longer the top attraction for the Chinese Malaysians. Used to be the top attraction, maybe 20 years ago.

Good to read that Thailand has many tourists.
I don't travel to countries like that.
Countries that have more than 5 million tourists are not a good country to travel to.
If you like to stand in lined, is Thailand ok countries traveled. Overweight sweaty tourists that pushes you forward.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 300sd said:

I arrived here from China a couple of weeks ago. The aircraft was mostly empty. Go figure.

Anyway I was happy to stretch out on four seats in the middle instead of three at the window. Oh did I mention there was no lineup at immigration.....go figure.

I arrived from Singapore in Chiang Mai 5 weeks ago. The plane full. At the same time 2 plane from China arrived. The immigration was packed.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Have you taken an AirAsia flight from DMK to KUL before? Most of the passengers are Chinese Malaysians. I believe many farangs have a hard time differentiating between a Chinese from China and a Chinese from Malaysia. And most of us Chinese Malaysians are into food, shopping and sightseeing, just like the Chinese from China. Of course some are into sex tourism, but nowadays, they are a tiny minority.

Many ethnic Chinese from Malaysia and Singapore fly to Bangkok as often as once a month to spend a weekend there.

The sexpats at Sadao are mostly Malay (Muslim) Malaysians and the number is not that big. Chinese Malaysians also like to visit Hat Yai, but also mostly for the food and shopping.

Just out of interest, what can you buy in Hat Yai you can't buy in Malaysia? 

17 minutes ago, baboon said:

Just out of interest, what can you buy in Hat Yai you can't buy in Malaysia? 

Thai food, clothes, handicrafts and souvenirs. Go to Big C Rajadamri in Bangkok and you would notice many Chinese Malaysians buying a lot of Thai food by the boxes. We have a tradition of giving food and gifts to relatives and friends after returning from holidays.

Edited by Selatan

1 minute ago, Selatan said:

Thai food, clothes, handicrafts and souvenirs. Go to Big C Rajadamri in Bangkok and you would notice many Chinese Malaysians would buy a lot of Thai food by the boxes. We have a tradition of giving food and gifts to relatives and friends after returning from holidays.

With respect, I asked what you can buy in Hat Yai rather than in Malaysia? Not Bangkok. 

Just now, baboon said:

With respect, I asked what you can buy in Hat Yai rather than in Malaysia? Not Bangkok. 

The same things. I gave you the Bangkok example just in case you happen to be around the place to confirm for yourself.

2 minutes ago, Selatan said:

The same things. I gave you the Bangkok example just in case you happen to be around the place to confirm for yourself.

So you can buy the same items in Bangkok as you can in Hat Yai? Why fly to Bangkok, then? Hat Yai is a big place.

9 minutes ago, baboon said:

So you can buy the same items in Bangkok as you can in Hat Yai? Why fly to Bangkok, then? Hat Yai is a big place.

Hat Yai is more for those from northern states in Malaysia, such as Kedah, Penang and Perak because can drive in. Bangkok is more for those from Kuala Lumpur because of the many cheap flights.

• Like 1

When I came through last week Suvarnabhumi was packed (October). Never seen it so crowded.

People from developing countries and middle east on one week holidays.

Throngs of conservative Malay men. Chinese up from N Malaysia. I bet nearly a million annually. Up for weekend.

Quality tourists: when you leave look at the people you are queing with. None look especially monied or sophisticated. Simple wage earners.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Hat Yai is more for those from northern states in Malaysia, such as Kedah, Penang and Perak because can drive in. Bangkok is more for those from Kuala Lumpur because of the many cheap flights.

But you can't take much with you.

And I must say, forget your racial differences. Malaysia is a lovely place. I have been treated well there by both the Authorities and the common folk.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stigar said:

Another bs from TAT.

<deleted>..agreed..WHO CARES..Its those that keep telling others or themselves lies when deep down they know the facts, just dont want to admit them. In other news water is wet, and the north will be smoky AF soon...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Calculator at TAT office broken!

Always chuckle at Profile name..555 Why No sleep?   Gin Khao?  Where u from? How long u stay thailand?  You speak thai?  You have thai lady? beer? Boom boom? want massage?....lather, rinse, repeat...

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Su-ngai Kolok is nothing more than a Malaysian brothel. Amazing place.

• Like 1

Who exactly on this forum wishes to be constantly kept informed (almost daily) as to what the Tourist figures are. 

I used to feel the same about the BBC and it's weather forecasts every 30 minutes but at least I can see how some people might benefit from knowing what the weather is going to be like somewhere?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, LOS1 said:

Quote: "Laos with 1,383,410, up 12.16 per cent, generating Bt39.61 billion, up 12.70 per cent."

So, almost 20% of the Laos population so far this year has vacationed in Thailand. Believe that??

Many people from Laos cross at Nong Khai to shop at Tesco Lotus at the weekend, then go back. Some make it down to Central mall at Udon. The super car parking often has cars with Laos plates in it. So those people come and go within a day, every weekend.

judging by people on the border bus when I do my annual visa at Savannakhet, many Laoations cross daily to go to Mukdahan. That seems more for work or visiting relatives. Again, numbers that add up on a daily basis.

but are these strictly speaking tourists? Depends what you want your figures to say I guess.