Marriage visa if renting

There is nothing special when applying for a Non O visa based on Thai spouse at a consulate. When applying for an extension of stay on the basis of your marriage, you need to be able to show you are living together at your rented accommodation, but there is really no problem.

46 minutes ago, khaepmu said:

Does the wife have to be with you when you initially submit your first TM 30 or 90 day report I wonder?

Wife may need to be with you in the capacity of owner/landlord/possessor to submit a TM30, but otherwise no requirement for wife to be with you for TM30 or 90 day.

Most offices a marriage extension will involve an immigration home visit to verify you live together.

Edited by Peterw42

3 hours ago, khaepmu said:

Does the wife have to be with you when you initially submit your first TM 30 or 90 day report I wonder?

A 90 day report has nothing to do with being married. You are not asked if you are married. A TM30 also has nothing to do with being married unless your wife owns the condo or is the person who signed the rental contract and you are unnamed on the contract and are just living there with her.a

I rent a condo in Bangkok. My Thai wife has also signed the rental contract. I file 90 day reports at CW without her. My landlord (who is not my wife) files my TM30 for me though I could do it myself at CW.

However, I remain on a one year extension based on retirement. Nothing I’ve experienced with the TM30 or 90 day report process tells me that it would be any different on a marriage visa or extension of stay. Of course, you will always get better advice from your Immigration office.

Edited by Martyp
  • Like 1

If you are applying for an extension, you need a copy of your contract, our one had expired so I just made a new one a week before applying, I don’t know if there is a minimum term.

You need a copy of the landlords ID, and I think his tabian baan, along with the tabian baan of your place.

There is also a form to complete that confirms the landlords details.

All need to be signed by him.

At the time of application, the IO wanted to see my landlord, a phone call to him was enough to explain to her that he was 400km away and had no intention of attending.

if you are applying for a non-O visa, you need a copy of the wife’s tabian baan, it doesn’t relate to the place where you live.

Edited by recom273

10 minutes ago, recom273 said:

If you are applying for an extension, you need a copy of your contract, our one had expired so I just made a new one a week before applying, I don’t know if there is a minimum term.

You need a copy of the landlords ID, and I think his tabian baan, along with the tabian baan of your place.

There is also a form to complete that confirms the landlords details.

All need to be signed by him.

At the time of application, the IO wanted to see my landlord, a phone call to him was enough to explain to her that he was 400km away and had no intention of attending.

if you are applying for a non-O visa, you need a copy of the wife’s tabian baan, it doesn’t relate to the place where you live.

What if there's no rental contract? Because you and your wife are renting from her family member without any contracts who is living overseas?

51 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What if there's no rental contract? Because you and your wife are renting from her family member without any contracts who is living overseas?

A letter stating you are staying their house along with signed copies of their house book and ID would be accepted,

Either that or a basic rental agreement could be done and used. A fill in the blanks one can be found at most statuary shops.

You will find several different lease/rental contracts on the internet, All you need to do is a Google search for "Thai rental contracts" and then just pick one, print it off and fill it in or some of them you can fill in before you print it off and then just sign it and have the witnesses sign it. I have been on a marriage extension for a few years and my first was in a rental and there was no problem. The only thing is that you will probably get a visit from Immigration to the house to check and they will probably talk to some of your neighbours to check that your marriage is not a scam

No idea .. I would guess they would reject your application. Your problem is not their problem.

UbonJoe has posted to the thread now, he will know, I just posting what was required by my local office.

We went armed with an ID card and the lease and we’re presented with another form and requirements.

At the end of the day, our landlord only signed his ID card and contract, his brother signed the other documents. They did compare and question, and then just accepted them.
As mentioned, you will need a copy of his tabian baan and ID card, anyway. Get a standard Thai rental contract, put a close signature on that, next to the tabian baan of the place you are renting. Job done.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks to all who replied; I appreciate the information. I am slowly wading though this process. Went to immigration in Petchaburi...the women there was helpful but only in answering my direct questions. 

I currently have a Non-imm B (teaching) and will change that to Non-O based on marriage in the future. I was told by immigration that before applying for the marriage visa, I must leave the country and enter with an O visa. Does this sound right to you seasoned vets?

2 hours ago, Jimbone said:

I currently have a Non-imm B (teaching) and will change that to Non-O based on marriage in the future. I was told by immigration that before applying for the marriage visa, I must leave the country and enter with an O visa. Does this sound right to you seasoned vets?

That is not correct.

You can change the reason for your extension of stay to marriage from teaching without leaving the country to get a non-o visa. You will need a termination letter to cancel your current extension so you can apply for a new one.

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2019 at 5:22 AM, Jimbone said:

That is not correct.

You can change the reason for your extension of stay to marriage from teaching without leaving the country to get a non-o visa. You will need a termination letter to cancel your current extension so you can apply for a new one.

Thanks UbonJoe. I didn't think this sounded right, so will double check with immigration. Also, I really appreciate your feedback, as well as others.