400 workers laid off as their tyre canvas factory closes

400 workers laid off as their tyre canvas factory closes

1572009369106.jpg

About 400 workers have been laid off, effective today (Friday), after the of SRF Industries (Thailand) Company’s tyre canvas production plant, in the Map Taput industrial estate in Thailand’s eastern province of Rayong, closed down due to operating losses accrued during the current economic slowdown.

The workers were notified of the impending retrenchments on September 24th by the management, citing the poor economic climate, declining demand for the company’s products and the steady appreciation of the Thai baht.

According to the company, the end finally came after one of the company’s biggest customers decided to stop buying the company’s products, leaving no other choice for the management but to wind up the business.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/400-workers-laid-off-as-their-tyre-canvas-factory-closes/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-10-26

Hurray for Prayuth !

Hurray for the junta !

Hurray for junta lackies !

Hurray for military coups !

Hurray for the strong baht !

Hurray for submarines !

Hurray for friends who lend expensive watches then kick the bucket !

The way things are going the 1%er rich folk will get all their maids , gardeners , cooks and other low paid servants back just like the good old days.

The coup is working exactly as planned.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Denim said:

Hurray for Prayuth !

Hurray for the junta !

Hurray for junta lackies !

Hurray for military coups !

Hurray for the strong baht !

Hurray for submarines !

Hurray for friends who lend expensive watches then kick the bucket !

The way things are going the 1%er rich folk will get all their maids , gardeners , cooks and other low paid servants back just like the good old days.

The coup is working exactly as planned.

Hurrah for Porsche drivers who kill with impunity.  Hurrah for cops who imprison people for petty drug offences. Hurrah for machine gun toting soldier terrorizing tourists. Hurrah for the TM30!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Raw data of electricity consumption for business (industry) is showing the same trend of first stagnation the last 3 years and now a an actual drop Y-O-Y.

Very good observation ! Was not aware that this data was available. The trend is clear....

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The workers were notified of the impending retrenchments on September 24th by the management, citing the poor economic climate, declining demand for the company’s products and the steady appreciation of the Thai baht.

I feel sorry for these workers, doing their daily work for a salary yet knifed in the back by the elite who have millions in the bank, and have no idea of the real life struggles on the street.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I feel sorry for these workers, doing their daily work for a salary yet knifed in the back by the elite who have millions in the bank, and have no idea of the real life struggles on the street.

Who are those people that you speak of ?

Do they exist, or do you just think that  they exist ?

11 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

Very good observation ! Was not aware that this data was available. The trend is clear....

Thanks.

Industry electricity consumption change Y-O-Y:

June: -1.9%

July: -1.7%

August: -3.1%

Will be interesting to see September's number.

Source: http://www.eppo.go.th/index.php/en/en-energystatistics/electricity-statistic?orders[publishUp]=publishUp&issearch=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in Pattaya for two nights in early September. Took the baht bus to the Tuesday market and back to Central Road. Property after property, sometimes two or three in a row, had shutters down and a single sign with phone number and for rent or sale, in English and/or Thai. I've never seen so many of them. I walked Central Road a lot over the years. Quite a few closures and empty eateries out to Sukhumvit, not to forget the hollowing out of Harbor Mall. 

Looks like very poor business conditions on Soi Yume where I always stay, which this year included January, February, April, May, July and September. I always rent a moto from a gal just off Yume. Says business terrible and plans to sell the bikes and  laundry machines and move back to the village. She's been there quite a few years. 

So it seems now the big businesses are showing the stress of a declining economy.  I feel sorry for the workers. Of course, what happens is that the lack of demand radiates out into support businesses, which starts the breakdown of what were once healthy communities. Will we see more protests? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Who are those people that you speak of ?

Do they exist, or do you just think that  they exist ?

Are you saying the post is fake news, if so maybe you should direct your thoughts towards Thaivisa.
I based my post on a written story which at face value I take to be true.

• Like 1