Video: "My flip flops got wedged under the brake pedal" - driver offers pathetic excuse

rooster59

21 hours ago, CLW said:

In Thai news it was reported that the driver is under police watch because he mentioned suicide. A bit harsh but whatever happened in his car, first he should come out with the truth and not some pathetic excuse. And secondly, he needs to be accept his fault, punished, locked up for a while and not be able to drive a car for some time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Agreed

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CLW said:

Barefoot probably better than with slippers / flip flops but still...

According to the Driving Standards Agency – the body that regulates the UK driving test – “suitable shoes are particularly important behind the wheel. We would not recommend driving barefoot because you don’t have the same braking force with bare feet as you do with shoes on.”

And those driving standards were written long before power brakes became standard equipment 

22 hours ago, CLW said:

By the way I'm always astonished how many Thais are driving barefoot (and probably leave the shoes in the lower compartment).

Is there any logical explanation why someone should drive barefoot?

Haven't you noticed that Thais take off their shoes at every opportunity. In Bangkok you'll often see it on public transport, and I've seen it countless times even in restaurants or fast-food places, Even if they wear shoes, women in particular often walk with the back of the shoe flattened so they look like flip-flops. It probably stems from the fact that the vast majority of Thais are one generation away from being country dwellers, or they still are, and such formality of wearing shoes isn't seen as necessary or being comfortable. I'm not being condescending. It's a fact, and understandable to a degree.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CLW said:

Is there any logical explanation why someone should drive barefoot?

Yes; for the same reason they kick off their shoes at restaurants - it's more comfy! It also makes it easier to pick their toes.

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 5:37 PM, rooster59 said:

A 37 year old National Parks employee reportedly told police that his flip-flops got wedged under the brake pedal

It's not a valid excuse.  Why on earth was he wearing flip flops to drive, the idiot!  In the UK, although it's not illegal to wear flip flops whilst driving, if involved in an accident wearing flip flops, you will be charged with careless driving, whether the flip flops were to blame or not.

• Like 1

Haven't you noticed that Thais take off their shoes at every opportunity. In Bangkok you'll often see it on public transport, and I've seen it countless times even in restaurants or fast-food places, Even if they wear shoes, women in particular often walk with the back of the shoe flattened so they look like flip-flops. It probably stems from the fact that the vast majority of Thais are one generation away from being country dwellers, or they still are, and such formality of wearing shoes isn't seen as necessary or being comfortable. I'm not being condescending. It's a fact, and understandable to a degree.
It obviously depends where you are and where you come from.
As it is polite to remove shoes before entering homes, temples and some businesses / shops I can understand it's more simple to wear slippers and not proper shoes.

However, in Bangkok I hardly have to take off my shoes during a normal day and in air conditioned rooms my feet get cold pretty quickly so I wear sneakers all day.

Little men with little brains and little ***ks driving around in big trucks.  What happnned there happens every day all over Thailand.  Ban big Utes and 4WDs and the road toll would drop more than 50% I reckon.  Not possible I know, but they are the problem more than anything else. Unless of course Thailand introduces a modern and regulated system of driving licencing and motor vehicle registration with a professional management of that system and a vigilent enforcement focussed police force ????  

On 10/26/2019 at 5:58 PM, bluesofa said:

My bullsh!t got stuck up my backside. That sounds more believable.

Actually it used to be a very very regular occurrence in Australia (Oz) until a few years ago when everyone became wise to the danger of wearing "thongs" (flip flops) when driving! The back of the thong folds under the foot and jams the foot under the brake pedal, try it out (while parked) it'll frighten the sh*t out of you as to how easy it can happen!