"Visa Number" to be entered on TM6 arrival slip

When I did my last extension of stay based on retirement, I asked the I/O CNX which would be the right number to be entered on the visa-field of TM6 when re-entering: the number mentioned next to the striking "extension of stay" stamp (in my case 5732), or the number of the multiple re-entry permit (in my case 1279/62, or maybe 1279/63). He clearly answered that it should be the one next to the "retirement-stamp", and he even marked it yellow (5732). When I reentered at Swampy today in transit from Singapore to Chiang Mai, the not very senior, female I/O insisted that the right visa number to be inserted on the arrival card should be 1279/62, i.e. the number of the multiple re-entry permit. I pointed out that that is the number of the multiple re-entry permit and has nothing to do with any visas (or extensions of stay), and I argued that the yellow mark was done by a CNX I/O upon last extension. In the end I wrote down both numbersa on the TM6-form, but still wonder what is correct. For me, it's another case where not only each Immigration Office applies their own rules, but also each officer in there. So far I always re-entered with the number next to the extension stamp, and never had any problem or discussion about this. Any knowledgeable comment on this is appreciated.

image.png.844725463edf7118ac6813faf6abdd76.png

image.png.14c7ae5d1d549e1baff1f4a91585083a.png

Edited by ubonjoe
reduced image size
  • Thanks 1

The permit (visa) giving you the right enter is the re-entry permit so IMO that is number you should put on the TM.6. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter as long as the IO sees and uses the re-entry permit.

The "visa #" from original entry might be many years ago and perhaps few passports ago.

You enter the reentry permit number. 

Think about it...if you did not have a reentry permit you could not even enter. Your non o or whatever expired. 

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I always put the re-entry number and also write “ re-entry permit “ in the box to avoid confusion.
Never had a problem this way.

NB: always check the length of your “admitted to stay until “ stamp before straying too far from the IO.

Ditto, ditto!

Also never had an issue doing it that way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Ditto, ditto!

Also never had an issue doing it that way.

Ditto also. Due to flying out every couple weeks I put paperclip on my reentry permit to help airline boarding pass and also imm control los. If I had my original non o visa in same passport and put paper clip on that it would mean ZERO as it would be expired. In 7 years I have only had ONE mistake from io pp control. Even then while I was checking my pp for correct "until date" she had already called me back. 

The post above about ALWAYS check your stamp is good advice. Given io work load I'm surprised more mistakes are not made. 

• Like 1

Not strange, if IO CNX means the IO receiving the TM6 then you got the right answer in his case.  I used to wonder so left it blank I presume that the IOs filled in what was necessary or more likely, scribble in the space or leave it blank. I enter once a year and think that I still leave it blank. 

Don’t ask questions of IOs If you want a definitive answer, only here are definitive answers available!  

I entered yesterday (29/10) at Don Muang - my TM6 had my visa extension number but I was told "next time" use the re-entry permit number. A sensible response to my mistake of thinking "visa number" meant visa extension number. Now I know I shall do it right next time.

PS I assume I dont have to go to my local immigration to confirm my address as it is on the TM6 I completed for entry.

18 hours ago, Negita43 said:

PS I assume I dont have to go to my local immigration to confirm my address as it is on the TM6 I completed for entry.

Sorry, you assume wrong. 

If you are staying at a location that will not be submitting a TM30 on your behalf, you need to do it within 24 hours of arriving at the address.

Edited by jacko45k

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Sorry, you assume wrong. 

If you are staying at a location that will not be submitting a TM30 on your behalf, you need to do it within 24 hours of arriving at the address.

Again this depends on which Immigration office you use. I always go to Udon office to report my return and everytime they tell me as long as you are returning to the same address you do not need to report your return.

I will still do it though as you never know when they might start enforcing it there.