Re-entry visa in old passport. Valid or not?

I recently got a new passport form my home country. Consequently my old passport was cancelled. But in my old passport I have a re-entry permit that is valid for another six months.

Will Thai immigration accept that I use the re-entry permit in the old (cancelled) passport when exit/re-entering this year, or do I have to apply for a new re-entry permit to be stamped in my new passport? No such information available on the immigration website.

I'm presently in Thailand so first use of new passport will be when exiting Bangkok.

Anyone who has practical experience on this?

Edited by Naroge
Update

Your re-entry permit in your old passport is still valid.

Show both passports on entry to the country to use it for entry to the country and immigration will stamp you into the country to the date it expires in your new passport/

• Like 2

I have no idea if this is relevant or not - please advise Ubonjoe.

When my Thai wife got a new Passport, because she had a Visa into Australia in the old Passport,  she was required by the Thai Immigration office to get a seperate 'notice' document that stated something like :  (Name) has a new Thai Passport number xxxxx valid from xxxxx to xxxxx and this replaced Thai Passport number XXXX on (date).   At Customs in Australia she gave both Pasports and the Notice to the IO and was allowed to enter no problem - she and I have no idea if it was required or not (he would not answer any questions).  

I say that because this raises the question - will Thai Immigration expect any similar 'notice' about the two Passports.  Was I scammed another 500 Baht??  

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your re-entry permit in your old passport is still valid.

Show both passports on entry to the country to use it for entry to the country and immigration will stamp you into the country to the date it expires in your new passport/

Thank you for your quick response. But to clarify I'm already in Thailand so first use would be on exit. Thai immigration could therefore claim, if they want, that I would have had the possibility to go to Chaeng Wattana and get a new re-entry permit. Just playing devils advocate.

14 minutes ago, Naroge said:

Thank you for your quick response. But to clarify I'm already in Thailand so first use would be on exit. Thai immigration could therefore claim, if they want, that I would have had the possibility to go to Chaeng Wattana and get a new re-entry permit. Just playing devils advocate.

If you received a new passport while in Thailand you need to go to immigration and get your stay permit (extension) stamp transferred to the new passport before leaving. They may not transfer the Re-entry permit to the new passport in which case show both passports when you re-enter.

• Thanks 1

I called the Immigration Hotline 1178. After waiting 50 minutes I talked to a guy with very good English who insisted I cannot use the old passport/re-entry but need to go to Immigration and get the re-entry permit transferred to the new passport.

Seems I have no other choice than to spend a day transferring the permit. Cannot risk to be stuck at the airport when leaving next time.

I’ll report back about what really happened.

6 minutes ago, Naroge said:

Cannot risk to be stuck at the airport when leaving next time.

You do not need a re-entry permit to leave the country.

But you should get your stamps transferred at immigration before leaving the country.

If your re-entry permit was not issued by the immigration office where you got your extension they will not transfer it. No problem to use your re-entry permit for entry to the country until it expires.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Naroge said:

They won't do that.

50 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

Just go to your local immigration office. No cost and quick. Have done many times.

Small additional note. My local imm office CW would not transfer mine because the permit was issued at airport. I had traveled with both passports many times no problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunKenAP said:

Just go to your local immigration office. No cost and quick. Have done many times.

Maybe quick to transfer, but going to the immigration office could take the better part of a day, for nothing (as they already have all relevant information). Anyway, have to play safe now.

The exact same thing happen to me. But I was advised by the US Consulate to take both my old & new passports with their letter to the local immigration office and have them transfer everything from the old to the new passport. Which I did and they did transfer my re-entry stamp too. I would suggest you do that, so you don't have any issues when it comes time for you to use it. You never know what they will do when you try to use it on your old passport. Better to be safe then sorry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

The exact same thing happen to me. But I was advised by the US Consulate to take both my old & new passports with their letter to the local immigration office and have them transfer everything from the old to the new passport. Which I did and they did transfer my re-entry stamp too. I would suggest you do that, so you don't have any issues when it comes time for you to use it. You never know what they will do when you try to use it on your old passport. Better to be safe then sorry.

Yes, this is my only option as their is no firm confirmation that the old passport/re-entry can be used "as is". 

About two months ago, I had my retirement visa, extension and re-entry stamps transferred to my new passport.

Australia puts a stamp in the old passport to indicate it has been cancelled. Other countries, an embassy letter may be required.

Your old passport is NOT valid. You must have the re entry permit transferred to your new passport. You will need a letter from your embassy to explain. If you leave without doing so you will have no valid visa when you re enter Thailand.

4 hours ago, claffey said:

Your old passport is NOT valid. You must have the re entry permit transferred to your new passport. You will need a letter from your embassy to explain. If you leave without doing so you will have no valid visa when you re enter Thailand.

Depending on where you received the re-entry permit, it may not be possible to have it transferred. The same issue exists with multiple entry unexpired visas. Although the old passport, by itself, is not valid for travel, any unexpired visas and re-entry permits in the old passport (whether from Thailand or other countries) remain valid.

After having visited Immigration at Chaeng Watthana (CW) I can summarize as follows.

At CW I was as usual met by a very polite Immigration Officer (IO). She took my two passports (old and new), put a rubber-band around them and told me to bring them both to the airport next time I travel. At the airport the IO will transfer the re-entry permit to my new passport. They DO NOT transfer re-entry permits at CW. It took about two minutes.

On 10/30/2019 at 3:28 PM, Naroge said:

After having visited Immigration at Chaeng Watthana (CW) I can summarize as follows.

At CW I was as usual met by a very polite Immigration Officer (IO). She took my two passports (old and new), put a rubber-band around them and told me to bring them both to the airport next time I travel. At the airport the IO will transfer the re-entry permit to my new passport. They DO NOT transfer re-entry permits at CW. It took about two minutes.

I had no problem using both passports. However, at one re-entry, they took me their office at the airport and transferred my RE to the new passport.

iIRC, I could use just the new passport after that.

• Like 1