Big spending Indians - 5,800 baht a day - set to revolutionize Thai tourism!

webfact

On 10/28/2019 at 8:38 PM, Howiehotspur said:

I know , I drives me MAD ! .. I sometimes clip them with my elbow now , you toot toot , and they still don’t get out the way .. morons 

they don’t have paths in India ? 

Yes they do. What they do lack is self entitled numpties who think they are more deserving than pedestrians and think assault is acceptable.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/28/2019 at 1:49 PM, chrisinth said:

Need to have a few more Indians from Bradford visiting long term then. Not sure if you have ever had a curry from India, but they are different than proper British Indian curries.............:thumbsup:

India curry ,  shte.

Bradford british curry , very delicous, proud to be British ..

On 10/28/2019 at 12:31 PM, Thomas J said:

$5,800 thb per day.  They must have forgot to mention that it includes a family of 14.  I owned a retail furniture store in the USA.  They would not spend $5,800 THB on a complete living room sofa, love seat, and coffee table set. 

You are wrong. 

On 10/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, NCC1701A said:

5800 X 14 days = 81,2000

my expenses approximately.  not including one time costs like motorcycle, scooter:

90,000 X 12 months disposable income = 1,080,000.00

1,080,000.00 / by 81,200 = 13.3

so I am worth 13.3 Indian tourists. :clap2:

Why would you want to be classed like an injun??

1 minute ago, Galactus said:

let indians come. 

i mean i dont understand the negative comments.

I guess cheap charlie tourists or long stayers from US and EU is offended when they heard the fact that Indians spend more than them?

Why one should be offended if someone else spend more or less ? Personally i don't care.

However, some people may find hard to believe that Indians, on average, spend more than Americans or Europeans on average.

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Why one should be offended if someone else spend more or less ? Personally i don't care.

However, some people may find hard to believe that Indians, on average, spend more than Americans or Europeans on average.

I fail to understand how one can spend so little per day on a holiday, the average hotel costs at the very least half of that amount. Once food, transport, entertainment added it would be a lot more. Or maybe I am just a spendthrift

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I fail to understand how one can spend so little per day on a holiday, the average hotel costs at the very least half of that amount. Once food, transport, entertainment added it would be a lot more. Or maybe I am just a spendthrift

If i was on holiday in Thailand, i could easily manage with 3000 B. a day, if for "entertainment" you mean go-go bars, easy ladies and the such, i can do without it.

I have some fond memories of holidaying in Laos, years ago, spending some 200/300 B. a day, and having the best of times.

2 hours ago, Galactus said:

let indians come. 

i mean i dont understand the negative comments.

I guess cheap charlie tourists or long stayers from US and EU is offended when they heard the fact that Indians spend more than them?

Even cheapest charlies from US and EU would not share a bed with another man or suck on 2 straws from one bottle of water.

23 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think it's maybe you that lacks basic logical comparison skills as we're discussing comparative spend in Thailand per annum. 

If @NCC1701A only spent the same amount of time in country as a single Indian, then yes he's worth about 0.6 in spend terms

However, he spends that amount 52 weeks of the year so assuming the Indian being compared spends 2 weeks in Thailand then his total spend in Thailand is 13.3 x that of 1 x 2 week Indian vacationer.  Obviously if you want to compare him against 26 x 2 week visitors, then he's still "Worth" 13.3 x any single one or 0.6 of the 26 (Do the maths) 

Is it really so difficult to comprehend? 

Edit: Let me put it another way, a couple of times a year I do a Pattaya visit with 8-9 friends 2 of whom are (British) Indians (living in Singapore for many years) and our average spend across 4 days is around 80-100k (Let's say 20K per day, excluding flights & hotels which are paid upfront) & I can safely say that my Indian mates are more towards the right side of that scale (if not beyond) than us Caucasian Brits... But I can guarantee that if we were to move there full time mine & (a couple of the other guys) monthly budget would be 2-3 times theirs'.

E.g One of my Caucasian mates has recently bought a Pool Villa at the Banyan Tree resort in Phuket, when in Pattaya he spends about 1/2 of what the 2 Indian guys spend when we're on a trip, hates buying ladies drinks but thinks nothing of cocktails & seafood buffet at the Hilton, difference being he would do that every week if he lived there

You need to attend calculation and logic 101 courses.   You really don't know what you are talking about.  A 10 year kid would do better than you.

23 minutes ago, Petchou said:

You need to attend calculation and logic 101 courses.   You really don't know what you are talking about.  A 10 year kid would do better than you.

Why don't you explain the error in my logic... [In language a 10 year old kid would understand obviously]

Edit:

Answer this Maths quiz...

An Indian spends 2 weeks per annum in Thailand & spends 5,800 per day while there, how much per annum do they spend in Thailand?  Let's call this X.

A Caucasian spends 12 months in Thailand & spends 90,000 THB pm whilst there, how much per annum do they spend in Thailand? let's call this Y

Divide Y by X, what do you get?

[Spoiler Alert: It isn't 0.6]

I'll make it a little easier for you to visualize... 

image.png.7bf3d7400469b7676b076daa9e628b86.png

Does that help with your homework?

On 10/29/2019 at 8:12 AM, TKDfella said:

Ha, crystal ball time 'Two million are expected to visit in 2019 - but that will rise to 14 million by the end of the next decade.' And just about as many things could happen (well, slight exaggeration eh?) between now and then to change everything. Where do they get these crazy figures from?????????

Magic Mirror on the wall, what's the Fairest Land of All ?

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Why don't you explain the error in my logic... [In language a 10 year old kid would understand obviously]

Edit:

Answer this Maths quiz...

An Indian spends 2 weeks per annum in Thailand & spends 5,800 per day while there, how much per annum do they spend in Thailand?  Let's call this X.

A Caucasian spends 12 months in Thailand & spends 90,000 THB pm whilst there, how much per annum do they spend in Thailand? let's call this Y

Divide Y by X, what do you get?

[Spoiler Alert: It isn't 0.6]

I'll make it a little easier for you to visualize... 

image.png.7bf3d7400469b7676b076daa9e628b86.png

Does that help with your homework?

Quite. But there are more than 1m Indian tourists and less than 200k farang residents and one is going up and the other are dying off so put that in your spreadsheet and smoke it. ????

19 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Quite. But there are more than 1m Indian tourists and less than 200k farang residents and one is going up and the other are dying off so put that in your spreadsheet and smoke it. ????

I must say , its rather unpleasant to remind older people that they will die soon, even if its true

On 10/28/2019 at 10:25 AM, gk10002000 said:

5800 baht per day?  That is close to 200 USD.  Absurd to believe that the average Indian tourist spends that much.  No maybe a few Raja's will show up, and India certainly by the numbers has many many millionaires.

Strange that you think this is a lot of money spending as a tourist. Must been a while since you made a hotel reservation. More than half the money is the hotel fee. 
One other thing is that Thailand is large on medical tourism. Even though hospital prices is lower. It is not for free.

On 10/28/2019 at 2:38 PM, BestB said:

Keep reading how big Indians are spending, but keep seeing 4 sharing a bottle of water from 7-11 and 2 sharing one bed in hotel.

Keep reading how Indians are buying big but keep seeing Indians trying to get bargain in 7-11

Keep reading how Indians spend big on food and drinks, but keep seeing indians sharing 5 chicken nuggets between 8 men and sharing 1 bottle of Heineken between 5 .

So where can i go to see Indians spending big? Anyone have a suggestion?

Go to a decent hotel.
Last time I visit Sheraton in cha am a Indian couple had rented most of the hotel over the weekend for a wedding. 
several hundred guests. 
nice people.

54 minutes ago, Sattphalat said:

Strange that you think this is a lot of money spending as a tourist. Must been a while since you made a hotel reservation. More than half the money is the hotel fee. 
One other thing is that Thailand is large on medical tourism. Even though hospital prices is lower. It is not for free.

Strange?  It all depends on how much one wants to spend as a tourist.  If I went to Thailand for 30 days on my visa exempt as I often have, I would in no way shape or fashion expect to spend 30x200 = $6,000 USD!  Sure one could spend that.  Anything is possible. 

5 hours ago, Traubert said:

Quite, but this whole sub-thread was about how 1 particular Expat living in Thailand 52 weeks of the year, spends the same as 13.3 x one 2 week visitor from India.

if you want to discuss total spends of 1 Million Indians Vs 200,000 Expats then assuming the average Expat spends 65,000 pm (I have no idea what the number is so use Immigration baseline) then it becomes... 

image.png.a0be247c1dbe39f6b03efe609663da44.png

[NB 1) This also assumes that the average length of visit per Indian is 14 days, in reality I would expect most would visit for 7-10 days max & 2) There are a lot more than 200,000 Expats living in Thailand, but I've used your number]

If this expands to 2 Million visitors per year then it's... 

image.png.2c5d5e59dd73cfaf0a1334d7856c35f8.png

Actually quite close, obviously if this goes to 14 Million then the scales swing completely in favour of the Indian tourists

image.png.6d9efc92c966120f30b44be5042d0f22.png .

Please note, I have nothing against Indian visitors, living in Singapore and working in Changi Business Park (We call it Changalore as it's probably 75%+ Indians working there) I have a lot of Indian friends who are a pleasure to spend time (especially meal times) with, this was purely a discussion around the logic/maths of the situation. 

Oh & I didn't take your "Dying off & going up in Smoke" comment as a dig at my age, I'm "only" 53 so probably younger than most BMs on here and am not being defensive about being an Expat, I have no reason to be so as I'm not yet (& may never be) a fulltime Expat in Thailand, again just a discussion on the logic around the relative spends between 1 Expat & 1 Indian tourist.  

I'll leave it at that now... 

1 hour ago, Sattphalat said:

Go to a decent hotel.
Last time I visit Sheraton in cha am a Indian couple had rented most of the hotel over the weekend for a wedding. 
several hundred guests. 
nice people.

Yes, my mate's son got married (3 day wedding) a couple of years back & he spent > £40,000 on the venue/facilities/catering alone, spent >£5,000 on Photographers/Video!

It really is good business for Thailand if it can tap into that market & IIRC Wedding season runs Oct-Dec, which is usually low season for Thailand + Mid April-May (Post Songkran boost). 

2 hours ago, Sattphalat said:

Strange you would think Indian tourist spend more than 500 baht on a room and this 500 is shared by 2 man at the very least 

also In which universe thailand you found low hospital prices ? And since when thailand was a place for Indian medical tourists? When prices in India are about half of Thai 

1 hour ago, Sattphalat said:

Go to a decent hotel.
several hundred guests. 
nice people.

When was last time and how often do you go? Once a year? Weekly.?

On 10/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, NCC1701A said:

5800 X 14 days = 81,2000

my expenses approximately.  not including one time costs like motorcycle, scooter:

90,000 X 12 months disposable income = 1,080,000.00

1,080,000.00 / by 81,200 = 13.3

so I am worth 13.3 Indian tourists. :clap2:

On 10/28/2019 at 1:26 PM, marqus12 said:

Correct the math.

You are worth 0.6 Indian per month .

I am confused: when you buy a can of coke in 7/11, do they give you 13.3 drinking straws or 0.6 of a drinking straw?

There  are  between 300 million and 400 million middle class in India who are traveling abroad. When an Indian plans a trip they want to have the cheapest hotel and food so that they can go shopping for themselves , friend and families. It’s a big thing in Indian to buy presents when abroad just to let others know that I have been abroad. So a typical tourist budget would be 100,000 bht of which 30% will be for traveling, hotel and food. The rest is all for shopping. Can check in pratunam the types of things they buy. Their logic says that this money have to be spent since it is already budgeted  and they have to go home after spending everything. 
so that is why they live In cheap places and share meals but when it comes to shopping they don’t like made in India so hence the big spender perhaps. The western tourist spend good money on food and hotel but I don’t shopping would be on the priority list

Archived