Ad-hoc panel formed as GSP suspension looms

webfact

Ad-hoc panel formed as GSP suspension looms

By THE NATION

800_d8a10690a04e1e1.jpg?v=1572336936

An ad-hoc committee to tackle the upcoming US suspension of Generalised System of Preferences (GSP) to a variety of Thai products was formed at a special meeting called by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha today (October 29). The suspension will apply within the next six months.

Deputy PM Jurin Laksanawisit said the panel comprised representatives from Commerce Ministry, Foreign Ministry and Labour Ministry, adding that it would promptly inform the US on labour issues in Thailand.

However, Jurin said, the suspension would not impact on Thailand's attempt to explore new markets in the US.

Kobsak Pootrakool, Deputy Secretary General to the PM for Political Affairs, said that the meeting also touched on the slow progress of the Thailand-China high speed train project.

The meeting identified obstacles to the project which will be discussed between PM Prayut and China's Prime Minister Li Keqiang at the next Asean Summit, to be held in Thailand from November 2 to 5.

According to the Office of the United States Trade Representative announcement on October 25, US President Donald Trump is suspending $1.3 billion in trade preferences for Thailand under the Generalised System of Preferences (GSP) based on its failure to adequately provide internationally-recognised worker rights.

The announcement said that despite six years of engagement, Thailand has yet to take steps to provide internationally recognised worker rights in a number of important areas identified in a 2015 petition from the American Federation of Labour and Congress of Industrial Organisations (AFL-CIO), such as providing protections for freedom of association and collective bargaining.

GSP eligibility will be revoked, effective six months from October 25, for approximately one-third of Thailand’s GSP trade, which totaled $4.4 billion in 2018.

The list of products to be excluded from GSP for Thailand is focused on products for which the United States is a relatively important market for Thailand, but where Thailand accounts for a relatively small share of US imports.

Additionally, due to longstanding worker rights issues in the seafood and shipping industries, GSP eligibility will be revoked for all seafood products from Thailand. The GSP market access eligibility review of Thailand will remain open.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30377854

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-30

5 hours ago, webfact said:

However, Jurin said, the suspension would not impact on Thailand's attempt to explore new markets in the US.

It has always been a mistake to focus on some large markets (customers), look for small customers who ultimately give you more and don't blackmail you!
Then what's the problem? A word from the general to the president, and everything is solved! ????????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The only way to 'win' this is with a panel-beater.

(sorry!)

I think you spelled panel-beater wrongly!........................................

the 'e' is in the wrong place.

there's no 'a'.

The 's' is missing.

There should be an 'i'

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

I think you spelled panel-beater wrongly!........................................

there's no 'a'.

The 's' is missing.

There should be an 'i'

It took me a good few minutes I must admit 

Edited by NightSky

9 hours ago, webfact said:

and as always total denial, they make bad news look like great news.... they are all from the same gang, (TAT, AOT, BOT, PM) nothing wrong in Thailand, tourists coming by millions every day, economy doing great, we worry to much

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

An ad-hoc committee to tackle the upcoming US suspension of Generalised System of Preferences

A common old garden variety Thai committee is usually formed so an important decision can be avoided.

A special Thai ad-hoc committee chaired by PM Prayut will make it absolutely certain nothing will be decided and nothing will be done to solve the problem. 

These people who sit on Thai government committees are the ones who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a committee.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bundooman said:

there's no 'a'.

The 's' is missing.

There should be an 'i'

Ah the Spelling/Grammar Police are out again. Get a life! It's conversation and quite often done on small devices. You obviously understood so shhhhh or people will start thinking you just passed your TEFL course or whatever. 

• Haha 1