Not feeling welcome

DrJack54

8 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

If I was very rich and not married to a Thai why would I ever come here more than once. That said if it's 5 star hotels , limos and private planes everywhere it would probably be somewhat different. 

But you're not, stop dreaming 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

But is it right to change the rules for people already living in Thailand for a long time?  

Some people are staying for a long time, have a family, there life here. And than suddenly they change the rules making it difficult to stay.

Also considering that in other countries they will give you a passport after some years, or at least a permanent residence.

Would it be right to send someone home after 20, 30 years, if he cannot prove that he has enough money to stay?  Living together with someone you are married to is a basic human right.

Who is to say what is right or wrong. Your insurance policies and coverage changes, your subscriptions change. Times changing so are the regulations.

They are not forcing anyone out, but expect people to comply with new regulations, If unable, there are still ways with "donations" and agents, but if can not even afford that, than clearly can no longer afford just to get by

Not saying is right or wrong, but it is what it is. Just like prices increase over time irrespective if we like it or agree with it, it just changes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

In all countries in the world you will get a passport or permanent residency allowing you to stay when you are married. So nothing to worry about after that.

Thailand is really the exception here.

Yes i agree with you there, it is easier, however in all countries spouse provides  guarantee  to cover all medical and needs to provide evidence have means to cover until citizenship is granted,

In Thailand, when married, you are also allowed to stay on marriage visa with much less requirements, only 400 000 baht needed and no requirement for insurance either. 

How much does it cost to apply for spouse visa and the process in other countries?

In Thailand, you can also apply for citizenship and perm residency if married but need to provide all the docs and all the rest, and it is not cheap either

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dimitriv said:

In all countries in the world you will get a passport or permanent residency allowing you to stay when you are married. So nothing to worry about after that.

Thailand is really the exception here.

If I understand this correctly, you can get permanents residency if you :

"

Thai Permanent Residency

-You must have had a Thai non-immigrant visa for at least three years prior to the submission of your application. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 consecutive yearly extensions in order to qualify.

-You must be a holder of a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting your application.

-You must be able to meet one of these categories to apply for PR status in Thailand:

Investment category (minimum 3 – 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)

Working/ Business category

Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age.

Expert / academic category

Other categories as determined by Thai Immigration"  

You can apply for Thai citizenship after holding a permanent resident status   for 10 years. 

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-permanent-residency.php 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

That list is not complete. There is a language test, there are quota, extremely high fees and some other things.

Thank you for that

I am not familiar with the process or interested, but the statement that you can't get permanent residency in Thailand is not correct.

I know I have read thread of posters wo have.

38 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

That list is not complete. There is a language test, there are quota, extremely high fees and some other things.

Married and working can skip and go directly for citizenship where none of the above is needed.

But even if not working, not much different than any other country, not too sure why you think it should be cheaper and easier here than anywhere else

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

But even if not working, not much different than any other country, not too sure why you think it should be cheaper and easier here than anywhere else

Very much different from Switzerland (very easy - never seen Thai ladies with Swiss passport?), Norway,  Germany,  to name a few.

Lol rules getting enforced, laws getting stricter. Sad for those wanting to stay long term. But its pretty normal, Thailand is not so desperate anymore to just want to let anyone in.

Personally i hate it, i wanna stay forever on tourist visas. But it makes sense. In my country u can only stay for 3 months as a tourist. Other long term options are either being married to a citizen or work. Kinda the same like Thailand tho, but my country also accept refugees. In my country most people dont like immigrants. So i think Thailand is still very tolerant. As most westerners are just drunk old guys coming for the rentgirls, or smelly backpackers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, uhuh said:

Do you think Thais like immigrants???

Depends on which Thai. Some dont think anything, some like immigrants, some dont. Generally i think they have a bad attitude towards Khmr, and Burmese, and Chinese. They also think we westerners are dirty, rude, and degenerate.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nakluapattaya said:

Yeah "most" about you? or "most" about myself? Did u even read the full sentence? Why did u got emotional?

Did u feel spoken to?

I just figured you must be taking about yourself. Whomelse?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, uhuh said:

I just figured you must be taking about yourself. Whomelse?

I think i typed "most westerners" didnt include myself yet. The fact that u had to respond in such obvious sarcastic way, makes me suspect you in falling in one of those categories. I suspect the first one. The old drunk with prostitutes.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1