Has anyone been forced to leave who obeyed the retirement rules?

Perhaps a silly question, but is there ANY reason why you would be forced out of Thailand if you met the retirement requirements? ????

I assume that if you meet the financial requirements and follow the rules, you can live the rest of your live, no matter your age or medical/health status (given that you've got health insurance) in Thailand.

Not counting:
- Breaking the law or a past criminal record catching up with you (I'm not talking about myself... I'm clean ????)
- Having or getting one of the listed diseases that are not allowed (again, not talking about myself... I'm clean ????)

I'm weighing the actual benefits if PR or citizenship, which is rightfully tedious and expensive to obtain (meaning, I don't blame the gov for making us jump through loads of hoops) vs simply going the standard retirement visa/extension route.  I don't really need the special treatment or perks of citizenship as I find what I have to do now at immigration and when traveling to be perfectly acceptable.  Maybe I've answered my own question... 555, but I'd appreciate some positive input and/or anecdotes.   Thanks in advance. ????

PS: I've been with my Thai wife for 26+ years. If she died before me I'd be so heartbroken that I wouldn't want to stay anyway most likely, but I assume by law I could just change my immigration (visa/extension) status and stay.

Edited by Galong

2 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

The situation could change and maybe you wouldn't meet the new requirements. PR or citizenship would be safer.

Fair statement... they'd have to change quite a bit for me not to qualify. I imagine any changes would be to the financial requirements and that wouldn't be a huge issue for me... not that I'm rich or anything close to that, but I'm doing OK. ????

I've got Thai Social Security for life as I've more than met their 180 month pay-in requirement.  They'd somehow need to change that too and take away any 'grandfathering', which would go against their past history of being reasonable about stuff like this. 

Thanks for your input. 

21 minutes ago, Galong said:

Having or getting one of the listed diseases that are not allowed (again, not talking about myself... I'm clean

That is not a reason for you to be deported from the country. It is only a requirement to apply for certain visa applications and to get a work permit renewed.

You would have to be charged with a serious offense of the law to be deported.

9 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

The situation could change and maybe you wouldn't meet the new requirements. PR or citizenship would be safer.

PR or citizenship is not an option for many people. You have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for 3 year to do a application for them.

10 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Or, I guess I could go the Thai Elite visa route as a very last resort... not keen on handing over a stack of money, but it would beat being forced out. 

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not a reason for you to be deported from the country. It is only a requirement to apply for certain visa applications and to get a work permit renewed.

PR or citizenship is not an option for many people. You have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for 3 year to do a application for them.

I meet almost all requirements for both (I have had a work permit for my company for over 20 years and I do everything by the book)... but in trying to organize either one recently I keep getting wildly different requirement answers.  Meaning, online I'm getting certain answers, agencies are giving me other answers, and the police in both BKK and Phuket are giving me yet other answers.  The main 'turn-off' is my salary requirement... answers range from 40K/month (online), to 65k/month (a couple of agencies), to 75k - 85k/month from the police!!!  I would consider it unethical to pay myself that much given that we're a small tour operator (the company where I work/own)

Plus, they want a heep of proof of charitable contributions.  I do a LOT of charity work.  I never ask for receipts.  I consider that rather tacky... Here ya go orphanage, here's some money... BTW, I'll need a receipt for that. ???? ????

I am NOT saying that the requirement are unfair or unrealistic, but I find them personally challenging and just want to see if going that route is even necessary given my other retirement options.  I'm SURE that a Thai trying to get citizenship in my homeland would make this look like a cakewalk. 

Edited by Galong

15 minutes ago, Galong said:

The main 'turn-off' is my salary requirement... answers range from 40K/month (online), to 65k/month (a couple of agencies), to 75k - 85k/month from the police!!!  I would consider it unethical to pay myself that much given that we're a small tour operator (the company where I work/own)

Being married to a Thai  means for PR you need 50k baht of income and citizenship only 40k baht.

I think you may of been asking the wrong people for info.

A PR application does not require you prove charitable donations. For citizenship a receipt for one donation of about 5k baht is enough.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Being married to a Thai  means for PR you need 50k baht of income and citizenship only 40k baht.

A PR application does not require you prove charitable donations. For citizenship a receipt for one donation of about 5k baht is enough.

Thanks Joe... I thought that was the case as well... and yes, I've apparently been asking the wrong people.  However, that would include the Royal Police Dept. in BKK too.  They're the ones who came up with the highest salary figure... go figure. 555

I run a small tour company and though it is successful, I ain't paying myself a big salary. I don't need it or want it.  It seems to me, the fact that I pay my crew top wages should be more important to the authorities.

I'll keep checking.  Thanks a LOT for your input, sir.  ???? ????

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Would you perhaps have someone (agency) that you recommend I talk to about this? I have absolutely no problem paying for help.  Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Galong said:

Would you perhaps have someone (agency) that you recommend I talk to about this? I have absolutely no problem paying for help.  Thanks.

No I do not. Many people have done both of them without an agent.

For PR contact the section that handles it at Chaeng Wattana immigration.

For citizenship there is an office at the Special Branch police in Bangkok that can assist with it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

No I do not. Many people have done both of them without an agent.

For PR contact the section that handles it at Chaeng Wattana immigration.

For citizenship there is an office at the Special Branch police in Bangkok that can assist with it.

I live in Phuket. My wife has called the Special Branch Police a few times.  They tell her to see the police down here (which I know is not correct) and the police down here say call them back in Bangkok. ????

22 minutes ago, Galong said:

I live in Phuket. My wife has called the Special Branch Police a few times.  They tell her to see the police down here (which I know is not correct) and the police down here say call them back in Bangkok. ????

I suggest you look for some info in this topic or do a post asking for info. There are members with knowledge about it that follow that topic. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application/

You could also look at these guidelines. Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization77.51 kB · 202 downloads 

2 hours ago, Galong said:

Thanks Joe... I thought that was the case as well... and yes, I've apparently been asking the wrong people.  However, that would include the Royal Police Dept. in BKK too.  They're the ones who came up with the highest salary figure... go figure. 555

I run a small tour company and though it is successful, I ain't paying myself a big salary. I don't need it or want it.  It seems to me, the fact that I pay my crew top wages should be more important to the authorities.

I'll keep checking.  Thanks a LOT for your input, sir.  ???? ????

I am currently finalizing my PR application at CW, based on supporting a Thai national (my wife).

No need to pay an agent, just me and my wife. Costs THB 7.600 application fee and THB 95,700 once PR has been granted.  Cost for translation, verification by embassy, etc. on top.    

Details at http://bangkok.immigration.go.th

Maybe its worth to see the IO handling PR at CW. Very friendly and helpful.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the law- one that carries a sentence of 6months or more if I remember rightly but that is just the law, we had the last but one head of Imm (BJ) threatening to deport a foreigner because she/her landlord had not filed a TM30 (the Temple bells affair).

• Sad 2