TransferWise - foiled again!

9 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

I've been using them for over two years without any problem. And, with the new income method TI now require TW have improved thing even more and are now very reliable, providing you use the process correctly of course.

I used them a few times before then with no problems, I can assure you that I did not do anything different.

52 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Are you saying that you did not need a bank letter?i

No, I not say that, or imply it. I presented bank statements, T/W transaction slips, pension statements and the standard bank letter.

52 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Maybe you should start a new topic with that as the theme. That would get noticed much more than a mention within a thread ????. Sometimes here, among all the inane remarks, there appears something that is genuinely useful. Well done.

I have done. I laid it all out in full back in August. But maybe I'll try again. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sniggie said:

Thanks, Ubonjoe. I'm glad that you had no trouble with one early payment. I'm probably fussing unnecessarily but I would be happier with a few more members coming forward with examples of minor leniency being demonstrated by IOs. 

Hi sniggle

Had same problem with my extention in july, imm officer quiereid it but once expkained she was happy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I did a transfer yesterday, TW said it would be in my BB Account  in 13 minutes, in fact it was in after 5 minutes.

TW must have changed their system as up until a few weeks ago the funds never arrived in my account until after 14.00 the following day in fact on the odd occasion it was 2 days.

I did a transfer at 4pm 31st (from Germany) the money was on my BBK 4pm 1st FFT

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It is not necessary to have these, much coveted international transfer codes. I received my extension recently without a single one. Krungsri, in common with most, if not all banks other than BBK show a domestic code only.

I simply presented the IO with the T/W transaction slips as evidence. He knew all about TransferWise. 

With the greatest respect that was your experience at your IO

Others may not adopt the same Leniency with regards to the International code as it’s a requirement to show the money originated from overseas for the monthly option. Personally I still wouldnt risk it. 

Edited by Kadilo

Just now, Kadilo said:

With the greatest respect that was your experience at your IO

Others may not adopt the same Leniency with regards to the International code as it’s a requirement to show it for the monthly option. Personally I still wouldnt risk it. 

Immigration require us to prove to them that we have a sustainable monthly income coming into a Thai bank account from a foreign source. I did so to his satisfaction.

I do not think that leniency had anything to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Just put the 800k in the bank. Seriously.

And just how many times have we read than one.

FROM THOSE WHO CAN! Even, almost mockingly, prefixing it with the word 'just'.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2019 at 6:53 PM, sniggie said:

Thanks, Ubonjoe. I'm glad that you had no trouble with one early payment. I'm probably fussing unnecessarily but I would be happier with a few more members coming forward with examples of minor leniency being demonstrated by IOs. 

What reason for the transfer did you choose? That's important if you need the transfers to be foreign = FTT in the bank book. 

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Immigration require us to prove to them that we have a sustainable monthly income coming into a Thai bank account from a foreign source. I did so to his satisfaction.

I do not think that leniency had anything to do with it.

I have read so many posts where people admit they haven't chosen the correct reason for the transfer. That's important if the transfer is needed to be foreign.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I have read so many posts where people admit they haven't chosen the correct reason for the transfer. That's important if the transfer is needed to be foreign.  

So have I. But I have yet to hear of one single person being denied an extension because he did not have this code in his bank book.

And just how are those who DO NOT use Bangkok Bank supposed to get their extensions? Like me for instance!

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

So have I. But I have yet to hear of one single person being denied an extension because he did not have this code in his bank book.

And just how are those who DO NOT use Bangkok Bank supposed to get their extensions? Like me for instance!

I know for sure it happened when the new requirements kicked in January 1, but it was a while ago. I read some posts about people now are using printouts of the TW transfer pdf-files together with the bank letter and bank statements from the bank. Some banks are more helpful when it comes to documents showing foreign transfers. Immigration are learning that transfers don't show up the same way depending on bank. They do show more leniency today. But as always,it depends on the local immigration office. Where are you staying? 

Edited by Max69xl

7 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I did a transfer yesterday, TW said it would be in my BB Account  in 13 minutes, in fact it was in after 5 minutes.

TW must have changed their system as up until a few weeks ago the funds never arrived in my account until after 14.00 the following day in fact on the odd occasion it was 2 days.

Transferwise is simply the best! Use this link to sign up and get your 1st £500 transfer FREE:

transferwise.com/u/terencep15

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I used them a few times before then with no problems, I can assure you that I did not do anything different.

Depends on what you mean by before. The new reason for transfer especially for people staying in Thailand is just a few months old. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Unify said:

Transferwise doesn't work the same way a wire transfer would. They have bank accounts all over the world. You transfer money into their account in your bank's home country (The UK, let's say). Transferwise then takes money out of their bank in Thailand, and sends it to your account in Thailand.

There is no transfer of funds across borders. The transfer would likely show up as a domestic transfer, for that reason, unless some special arrangement were made, or transferwise decided to code it that way.

Officially it's an overseas transfer even if TW just moves the money inside Thailand. The transfer code now depends on the reason for the transfer = "Funds for long term stay in Thailand". That reason is why the transfer shows up as foreign/international. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, billsmart said:

I've quit using Transferwise for any transfers I need to show up as international transfers. My transfers via Transferwise always show up as a domestic transfer from Thai Military Bank. I bank at Krungsri (Ayudhaya) Bank.

Assuredly. If Transferwise do not have an arrangement with your bank they can hardly transfer directly into it. I believe they are limited to Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and TMB.  Does your bank take any SWIFT type transfers directly, or are they also using a Thai based correspondent bank?

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Depends on what you mean by before. The new reason for transfer especially for people staying in Thailand is just a few months old. 

No, it was just a straight transfer from my UK bank to my Bangkok bank, there is no new reason, unless it is something to do with the 400 or 800Bt in your bank which I refuse to do.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

No, it was just a straight transfer from my UK bank to my Bangkok bank, there is no new reason, unless it is something to do with the 400 or 800Bt in your bank which I refuse to do.

No,I mean the "reason for transfer" you have to choose at TW when transferring money. That's what people are talking about. They have added a new reason for people staying in Thailand to make the transfer code show up as foreign = FTT. Still important for the >65k monthly method if you don't have an income letter from the embassy.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Assuredly. If Transferwise do not have an arrangement with your bank they can hardly transfer directly into it. I believe they are limited to Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and TMB.  Does your bank take any SWIFT type transfers directly, or are they also using a Thai based correspondent bank?

My bank does show SWIFT transfers as international transfers. 

Actually, none of this is a problem for me since I get my extensions based on my Thai bank's balance.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The transfer might show up as foreign if using the new "reason of transfer", "Funds for long term stay in Thailand". TW created it a few months ago and that way the code will say foreign transfer. 

4 minutes ago, billsmart said:

My bank does show SWIFT transfers as international transfers. 

Actually, none of this is a problem for me since I get my extensions based on my Thai bank's balance.

May I ask how much you pay for every transfer to your bank overseas when transferring money to Thailand?  

15 hours ago, Black arab said:

Hi sniggle

Had same problem with my extention in july, imm officer quiereid it but once expkained she was happy.

Thanks for this, very helpful.  Still a little concerning that they are examining things in such fine detail, though.

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

My TransferWise transaction on the 31st Oct took 15 minutes from UK to Bangkok Bank at 0715am Thai time.

TW just moved money in Thailand between banks. They didn't transfer your money from the UK per se. That's why it's so fast. 

18 hours ago, Unify said:

The transfer would likely show up as a domestic transfer

Indeed! On my Kasikorn account, transfers show as coming from a 'dummy branch' with no charges. No dummies have  cottoned on to this so far....555! So be careful you dont bring this to their attention in requesting it to show as an international transfer as they may start charging. As others have suggested, just download and print the Transferwise transaction document issued with every transaction to take to immigration.

Transferwise is simply the best! If you register with them using this link you will get your 1st £500 transfer FREE:

Edited by SunsetT

22 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Indeed! On my Kasikorn account, transfers show as coming from a 'dummy branch' with no charges. No dummies have  cottoned on to this so far....555! So be careful you dont bring this to their attention in requesting it to show as an international transfer as they may start charging. As others have suggested, just download and print the Transferwise transaction document issued with every transaction to take to immigration.

Transferwise is simply the best! If you register with them using this link you will get your 1st £500 transfer FREE:

May I ask what "reason of transfer" you choosed when transferring the money? 

Kasikorn Bank is one out of 3 TW banking partners in Thailand. The other 2 banks are Bangkok Bank and Thai Military Bank. I'm banking with BB and every transfer shows up as foreign/international. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

May I ask what "reason of transfer" you choosed when transferring the money? 

Kasikorn Bank is one out of 3 TW banking partners in Thailand. The other 2 banks are Bangkok Bank and Thai Military Bank. I'm banking with BB and every transfer shows up as foreign/international. 

I always select 'general monthly living expenses'.

May I ask you if you are charged by BBK for receiving a TW transfer???

Edited by SunsetT