How much tax on imported spirits?

Orton Rd

I like Bombay Sapphire gin but at around 1.170 baht never buy it here, until yesterday. Although on Big C website it says 1.170 and it's about the same in other shops they had it marked up at 761 baht. Bought one and expect they just priced it up wrong, would the 409 baht less be the tax they forgot to add on?

Edited by Orton Rd

5 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I have just checked the Big C on-line site and it shows up as 1170 baht.

Hope you managed to get a large order in before they realised their mistake (assuming there was a mistake).

I have a feeling the OP bought in at a Big C shop but did not make this clear in his post.

11 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

You sure you weren't looking at 1 liter v 70cl bottles ?? 

No not seen any 1 litre bottles here, took pics and it's 1.170 in Tesco as well, ridiculous price. Big C only had two bottles at 791, makes a change to get a bargain in there.

12 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Why not make your own gin. There are lots of botanical kits available on-line (not sure how easy to slip them in by post to Thailand). You can buy cheap vodka, or even cheaper is Thai neutral spirit (40pc ABV only) for about 150 baht a bottle, and infuse your own juniper etc flavours.

I tried doing the same with toasted French oak chips that I bought in the UK to make whisky, but the results were undrinkable. Too much nasty wood taste. I will have to try again.

Can't be bothered with DIY, kulov vodka is not bad and being Thai low tax and 300 baht a bottle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Can't be bothered with DIY, kulov vodka is not bad and being Thai low tax and 300 baht a bottle

Black Cock is just as good, but it's only 150baht a bottle, it is a 40% odourless spirit. I buy 3 or 4 lemons and peel the zest from them, very little pith as possible then soak the zest in the spirit, leave for about a week and the remove the lemon zest, add half a cup of sugar, a cup of water and you have about a 35% Limoncello. Also good for making your own Baileys, Baileys costs about 1,200 baht, but be made for for about 200 baht, you cannot tell the difference.

Plenty of recipes on YouTube.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, vogie said:

Black Cock is just as good, but it's only 150baht a bottle, it is a 40% odourless spirit. I buy 3 or 4 lemons and peel the zest from them, very little pith as possible then soak the zest in the spirit, leave for about a week and the remove the lemon zest, add half a cup of sugar, a cup of water and you have about a 35% Limoncello. Also good for making your own Baileys, Baileys costs about 1,200 baht, but be made for for about 200 baht, you cannot tell the difference.

Plenty of recipes on YouTube.

250ml cheap whiskey (or rum) 70bht

250ml condensed milk 20bht

2x-3x Nescafe red cup sachet x4bht

Shot of "teapot 7-11" chocolate sauce + shot of vanilla flavouring 

Around 100bht a bottle. 

Edited by BritManToo

Reminds me of somebody I knew who asked what the difference was between two Nokia phones one expensive one cheaper- answer in shop was this one red that one black! Those tarts in tight skits in the booze sections of supermarkets are about as clueless, ask them what the difference is between single malt and blended and you get one cheaper one more expensive! Red cock next time then.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Why not make your own gin. There are lots of botanical kits available on-line (not sure how easy to slip them in by post to Thailand). You can buy cheap vodka, or even cheaper is Thai neutral spirit (40pc ABV only) for about 150 baht a bottle, and infuse your own juniper etc flavours.

I tried doing the same with toasted French oak chips that I bought in the UK to make whisky, but the results were undrinkable. Too much nasty wood taste. I will have to try again.

Slightly off topic I know, but when I was in Saudi we used to get Jack Daniel wood chips from Bahrain and soak them in Siddiqi....Very good alternative.....:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Reminds me of somebody I knew who asked what the difference was between two Nokia phones one expensive one cheaper- answer in shop was this one red that one black! Those tarts in tight skits in the booze sections of supermarkets are about as clueless, ask them what the difference is between single malt and blended and you get one cheaper one more expensive! Red cock next time then.

It has given me the idea of to try and make my own gin, can get all the herbs off Lazada, not too sure if all of them are available in the supermarkets though. Not very keen on the cheap Thai gin, there is a vast difference between a quality gin. Here is the recipe if anyone is interested.

750ml good quality vodka
2 tbsp juniper berries (more if you like juniper-forward gin)
1 tsp coriander seeds
2 cardamom pods
2 peppercorns
Half a cinnamon stick
A small piece of dried orange peel (remove the white pith as it’s very bitter)
A small piece of dried lemon peel (again, no pith)

https://www.craftginclub.co.uk/ginnedmagazine/how-to-make-your-own-gin-at-home-no-still-required

• Like 1

Wow..... I read this with interest...........

I live in California in the USA and we can buy Baileys and and BOMBAY and Smirnoff for about $7 (About 230 BAHT) a 750 bottle (when on Sale-- Often at one shop or the other)....... California has cheap liquor as does Nevada..... I travel to Thailand often (6 or more times a year). So needless to say, at my house (in Pattaya) I have a well stocked Bar.....may I invite you over????...... The 'Dakside in Pattaya'..... (Eastside) 

Also in California a '5 liter' box of wine.... the best Merlot or Cabernet (sp), REDS, or Chardonet (sp) (whites) are about $14 (460 Baht) a box.....(5 liters)..... In Tesco and BigC I see 2 and 3 liter boxes for much more than that..... Once in a great while Thai Customs will get me with a bottle of whiskey and a box of wine (But seldom) so they always choose to confiscate my whiskey and let me take the wine....... "Not a great loss.. at California Prices".....

17 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Over 50 years ago I was with my Dad for the summer in a small town in Germany. Since he couldn't get bourbon, he got schnaps and put it in a 20-liter glass bottle with charred oak sticks, then slow cooked for 24 hours or so. It was pretty good.

1 hour ago, sawadeeken said:

Wow..... I read this with interest...........

I live in California in the USA and we can buy Baileys and and BOMBAY and Smirnoff for about $7 (About 230 BAHT) a 750 bottle (when on Sale-- Often at one shop or the other)....... California has cheap liquor as does Nevada..... I travel to Thailand often (6 or more times a year). So needless to say, at my house (in Pattaya) I have a well stocked Bar.....may I invite you over????...... The 'Dakside in Pattaya'..... (Eastside) 

Also in California a '5 liter' box of wine.... the best Merlot or Cabernet (sp), REDS, or Chardonet (sp) (whites) are about $14 (460 Baht) a box.....(5 liters)..... In Tesco and BigC I see 2 and 3 liter boxes for much more than that..... Once in a great while Thai Customs will get me with a bottle of whiskey and a box of wine (But seldom) so they always choose to confiscate my whiskey and let me take the wine....... "Not a great loss.. at California Prices".....

Good thing some of us are not in CA, we would drink ourselves to death pretty quick at those prices, we never go to Pattaya, thanks all the same.

Edited by Orton Rd

On 11/1/2019 at 7:47 PM, rak sa_ngop said:

You do realize wood alcohol turns people blind?

A 4 l cask of Cabernet Merlot at Aldi store Australia cost $10.00

So, 20 Baht for a dollar is 200.00 baht?!

The cheapest 3 l wine cask I can buy in Thailand is roughly 900.00 baht.

Talking about tax, to my eyes, this is legalized robbery!

"Wine can make you fat, what will it be, red or white?

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

You do realize wood alcohol turns people blind?

You obviously do not know about the process of whisky making, and the difference between methanol (wood alcohol) and ethanol (distilled spirit, moonshine drinking alcohol)

Edited by rak sa_ngop

My sister has just been to visit and I asked her to bring me a bottle of Wild Turkey. She purchased it at arrivals in Bangkok at a cost of Bt990 for 1 litre of 101 proof spirt. 

I hate to think how much this would have cost with all taxes added on.

On 11/2/2019 at 1:46 PM, Orton Rd said:

Good thing some of us are not in CA, we would drink ourselves to death pretty quick at those prices, we never go to Pattaya, thanks all the same.

It costs the same in Germany but not the original brands...

On 11/1/2019 at 7:47 PM, rak sa_ngop said:

Try Jack Daniels wood chips, they are produced from the casks in which their bourbon is aged.

Adds that Jack Daniels flavor without being simply wood.  I had good results from them with less than desirable basic spirits like we normally had access to in Saudi Arabia. 

Not sure if you can find them here though.