settings for over/under voltage etc

Chazar

Following the recent jihadi against my electric  system by lightning nearby Im installing surge protectors and over under volt protectors.

This is the over/under voltage protector,  note the factory settings  "default"  my question is.....would  you change any of these  settings? Are  they ok or some too high low? Ta in advance????

sino.jpg

sino1.jpg

I'd leave them at the defaults unless you see anything struggling.

What's your normal voltage?

170V is -23% of 220V, 187V is -15%.

Possibly move the low limit to 187V but watch for nuisance tripping when big loads come on (water heater). 

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I'd leave them at the defaults unless you see anything struggling.

What's your normal voltage?

170V is -23% of 220V, 187V is -15%.

Possibly move the low limit to 187V but watch for nuisance tripping when big loads come on (water heater). 

Ive got one of them plugged in at the moment its 230 goes up and down slightly sometimes 231 229

42 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Great idea if this really works. I had power strips with surge protection. Didn't work at all and I had a lot of damage. Does this really do the job? It is not even expensive what I could see. 

I accidentally ordered a 40A by  mistake, I also have a 63a the 40a is for sale if anyone wants it but they are so cheap..........300 baht odd.

One is an lcd  display the other led, the lcd although from the same maker has <deleted> instructions, the led  one is  better  heres  the current voltage as of  right  now, temporary  plugged into a  socket............yeah the black indicates my neutral hahhaaha  on the two red   cables

20191103_100134.jpg

44 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Great idea if this really works. I had power strips with surge protection. Didn't work at all and I had a lot of damage. Does this really do the job? It is not even expensive what I could see. 

Ive done some of these for surge at the main board again pretty cheap now (orange plug in surge protection device spd) and replaceable, had to modify the main box a bit although i saw CEO do a board with just ONE pole protection.

20191103_100736.jpg

What are you hoping for it to do for you?  Over/under voltage protection is important for large motors, but residentially you aren’t likely to ever see an over voltage (lasting several seconds) that will damage anything. 

Under voltage might impact your AC units or fridge, but do you prefer to protect that (relatively cheap) equipment, or the maintain function it provides?  You really  need to know the tolerances of downstream equipment to make a rational decision. 

Surge suppression is ver different, and always a good idea.

As one of the few who has had problems with chronic high voltage, 245v seems to be the edge of where my equipment will act "strangely".  Over 250v will have my TV's and receiver shut themselves down and that put my old refrigerator down twice.  I now have AVR's to avoid the situation, but if me, I would lower the high value.

3 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

What are you hoping for it to do for you?  Over/under voltage protection is important for large motors, but residentially you aren’t likely to ever see an over voltage (lasting several seconds) that will damage anything. 

Under voltage might impact your AC units or fridge, but do you prefer to protect that (relatively cheap) equipment, or the maintain function it provides?  You really  need to know the tolerances of downstream equipment to make a rational decision. 

You do get over voltages lasting, well long enough to make a stabalizer go crazy and start to emit a brown smell. It took out many TV etc in the village so I heard. It was after a power outage and on reconnection. Crossy recons that they probably reconnected neutral and the phase voltage back to front. So it's worth having over voltage protection.

Be mindful that if the over/under thinggy is installed on a feed to your water pump, if the 6pm supply goes below the low threshold you won't have water.

13 minutes ago, carlyai said:

You do get over voltages lasting, well long enough to make a stabalizer go crazy and start to emit a brown smell. It took out many TV etc in the village so I heard. It was after a power outage and on reconnection. Crossy recons that they probably reconnected neutral and the phase voltage back to front. So it's worth having over voltage protection.

Be mindful that if the over/under thinggy is installed on a feed to your water pump, if the 6pm supply goes below the low threshold you won't have water.

I too had an older CRT TV that even started to burn and also the power supply of my computer was dead. The fans were spinning like crazy for several minutes. The engineers here in my condo complex did some electrical work but of course were not guilty... I had the TV and the computer plugged in in such a power strip with surge protection and in addition a further surge protection at the wall sockets. Didn't help at all. 

1 hour ago, tjo o tjim said:

Whats do you  call a "large motor" I  have  a  pump down by the pond  and also two  well pumps I  think if  I remember rightly 1.5hp each

52 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I had the TV and the computer plugged in in such a power strip with surge protection and in addition a further surge protection at the wall sockets. Didn't help at all. 

That's because "surge protection" isn't intended to provide over/under-voltage protection (which is what the OPs unit does), one of those would have saved your kit.

Archived