Prayut praises China for keeping region stable, prosperous

webfact

5 hours ago, garyk said:

Funny, I have good friends from China that work and live in Thailand. The don't like to government there. And hate the restrictions. Vietnam is another country where the people hate the government. Or at least the hotel owners and people I talked to. Not saying it is better than the western politicians. But, The common working people do not like communism. Also in Vietnam they were scared to death about being heard talking about the party.  So?

Do you want a capable government or a popular government? These guys didn't like China too, but they had to admit to this:

Anyway, show me a Western government that has a 100% approval rating. After all, you came to a conclusion from the opinion of a few friends.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Against who ?

Communist China ? :cheesy:

In French this is called "wishful thinking"or more familiar "always speak, you interested me" = I don't care ...

Prayuth does not know it yet but he is already colonized by communist China;
Thailand - as well as Laos and Cambodia - will be in the near future of new Chinese provinces .

A coup is usually within a country against the existing Government.  A coup against China is a war.

9 hours ago, zydeco said:

Kind of difficult to be a "true ally and partner" with a country that sided with Japan against the Allies in World War II and now has sided with the Communist dictator in Beijing.

The Thai government "blows with the prevailing winds". They did it during WWII when it looked like the Japanese were going to rule all of Asia, they did it after the war when the Allies won and a communism takeover was a threat, and now they're siding with the newest power in the region (regardless of any previous alliances).  They would sell their souls to the devil if need be.

10 hours ago, Traubert said:

I dont really know what 'fanboi' means but I have little respect, no, lets say none, for self serving lying cheating Western politicians including the failed  chatlatans you name.

I couldn't agree more …..  :jap:   …..  sadly , the western farang here can't see the forest for the trees.

They come here to live and retire because it's South east Asia, it's cheaper to live here than their country generally, it's got less rules & regulations than their home country … 

but they still want to whinge and bitch and carry on because it doesn't have the same rules as the west, things aren't enforced like the west.  Asia is asia and Thailand is Thailand and will always be like this.

You can have your western democracy and it's cheating politicians everyday of the week. 

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

They come here to live and retire because it's South east Asia, it's cheaper to live here than their country generally, it's got less rules & regulations than their home country … 

but they still want to whinge and bitch and carry on because it doesn't have the same rules as the west, things aren't enforced like the west.

Exactly. Foreigners here have no complaints about corruption when it's working in their favour--like helping them get visas they don't qualify for.  And they are fine with the lack of regulations (or the lack of enforcement of regulations) when it makes their lives easier--like building a home or starting a business and not having to apply for dozens of safety or labour permits (as one would have to in the US or UK). But the moment things don't go their way, they suddenly become Western-style, by-the-book technocrats, decrying Thai corruption and lawlessness. You can't have it both ways. 

On 11/4/2019 at 6:05 AM, chainarong said:

No mention of human rights abuse, no mention of restricting freedom, no mention of that disappearing of people trick, no mention of copy right theft, no mention of stealing classified information from the west to build their military machine and lastly no mention of when China will dispense with being an emerging economy.  

You forgot Tibet... 

9 hours ago, garyk said:

Funny, I have good friends from China that work and live in Thailand. The don't like to government there. And hate the restrictions. Vietnam is another country where the people hate the government. Or at least the hotel owners and people I talked to. Not saying it is better than the western politicians. But, The common working people do not like communism. Also in Vietnam they were scared to death about being heard talking about the party.  So?

I'm afraid 'I know some people who..' doesn't really paint a big enough picture for the sweeping statements made here. Most people in the world who are politically engaged are dissatisfied with their Goverments in one way or another. 100% approval doesn't exist. The highest I've seen is Duterte in the Phils at around 80%. 

I'm sure if you quizzed your Chinese friends they would have to grudgingly admit that their Governmemt has advanced the country in its 70 year tenure in a manner never seen and unlikely to be ever emulated again. Otherwise they would not be your friends and they would be eking out an existence in a paddy field.

Vietnam? I dont know, I've only been as a tourist and I found it to be scruffy and poverty ridden which might account for the different brand of Communism they embrace.

5 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

Exactly. Foreigners here have no complaints about corruption when it's working in their favour--like helping them get visas they don't qualify for.  And they are fine with the lack of regulations (or the lack of enforcement of regulations) when it makes their lives easier--like building a home or starting a business and not having to apply for dozens of safety or labour permits (as one would have to in the US or UK). But the moment things don't go their way, they suddenly become Western-style, by-the-book technocrats, decrying Thai corruption and lawlessness. You can't have it both ways. 

This is well written and spot on. Not much more to add to your perfect summary.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:13 PM, marqus12 said:

You should get some objectivity.
American elites have been doing the same for decades.
Instead of talking, you should be very busy right now
hanging high lobbyists and senators in the US 555

I cannot agree more. Do you have a way of getting to them? I and many others would willingly join in. They are beyond useless. Lobbyists should be banned, imprisoned and made illegal. And so should those who bow down to the lobbyists. Trump has never said no to a single lobbyist, since becoming president. 

18 hours ago, Traubert said:

The current 'go to' destination for the Thai haters is Vietnam.

Communist Vietnam. You couldn't make it up. More faces than a dice factory. ????????

When I was on Phu Quac island I was hauled in by police and interrogated for being a spy. I was doing a survey for a fisheries, seafood importer.

It's just a big communist mafia that stole the wealth of the southern people and gave nothing to the nation in return. So many dead, so much misery for what? Crony capitalism.

On 11/4/2019 at 8:40 AM, Traubert said:

S Korea? That's a new one. You're talking two different seas with Japan and the Philippines and Duterte has reached agreement with China to an extent.

That's where most people's thinking is on China on TVF. Cant get past the word Communist and McCarthyism. Chicoms indeed.

Dinosaurs are extinct too.

Image result for simpsons overlord china

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I cannot agree more. Do you have a way of getting to them? I and many others would willingly join in. They are beyond useless. Lobbyists should be banned, imprisoned and made illegal. And so should those who bow down to the lobbyists. Trump has never said no to a single lobbyist, since becoming president. 

Neither did obama or any other politician

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

I couldn't agree more …..  :jap:   …..  sadly , the western farang here can't see the forest for the trees.

but they still want to whinge and bitch and carry on because it doesn't have the same rules as the west, things aren't enforced like the west.  Asia is asia and Thailand is Thailand and will always be like this.

You can have your western democracy and it's cheating politicians everyday of the week. 

Eventually steven100 had to meet traubert - does that mean that sycophants attract?

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

Eventually steven100 had to meet traubert - does that mean that sycophants attract?

That was Roy Bahts comment not mine. May I recommend my optician? He's Chinese but not a party member. 1.32bn Chinese people arent. ????????

On 11/4/2019 at 3:42 PM, Selatan said:

Do you want a capable government or a popular government? These guys didn't like China too, but they had to admit to this:

Anyway, show me a Western government that has a 100% approval rating. After all, you came to a conclusion from the opinion of a few friends.

I love guys like you. I call you cut and post jocks.. haha  

I keep up with China political policies as best I can, it is hard because of the censorship. Reason? I own stock in China.

The latest figures from analysts I trust is 3-5% growth. And I see that as a stretch. And it is dropping like a rock. 

Why? China was a great place for factories to invest and reap the profits. Chinese government is trying to turn the corner and turn it into a service based economy. WAY to soon. And it is showing. The market is in a nosedive. 

A couple of days ago China released a huge stimulus package to try and curb the downturn, For the housing market.

There is a huge disparity between the have, and have nots. Hopefully this will help the working class Chinese people. But, IMO it will only plunge the economy into a deeper hole.  

Chinese are trying to stop the tariffs, it is starting to drain their economy and hurt the party. There is a huge push for Chinese loyalty in China now to try and keep the moral up and spread an anti US propaganda.

Now on the flip side the US market is in a  bull run.  I own some stock in a Dow jones fund and it is delivering over 10% for me. And up a whopping 15-18% for the year. 

Chinese market is on a slide, the mom and pop shops that used to borrow money to put in the market are drying up and the small investors like me are seeking greener pastures. As well as companies getting squeezed by the trade war.

Of course the Singapore riots are not helping China. I believe that eventually China will swoop in and squash the last remaining democracy in the region. It is just a matter of time.

Also no matter who wins the next election in the US, I think the tariffs will be kept in place. Democrat or Republican it doesn't matter. 

The take away is, it is all about the money period. China is not the place to be now and it will sink into a more modest growth model. And, IMO with out open markets, and transparent markets. It will continue to slide.

Not that I really care at this point. IMO it is basically over until they change the way they do business!

As of today those are the facts Jack.. haha

2 hours ago, garyk said:

I love guys like you. I call you cut and post jocks.. haha  

I keep up with China political policies as best I can, it is hard because of the censorship. Reason? I own stock in China.

The latest figures from analysts I trust is 3-5% growth. And I see that as a stretch. And it is dropping like a rock. 

Why? China was a great place for factories to invest and reap the profits. Chinese government is trying to turn the corner and turn it into a service based economy. WAY to soon. And it is showing. The market is in a nosedive. 

A couple of days ago China released a huge stimulus package to try and curb the downturn, For the housing market.

There is a huge disparity between the have, and have nots. Hopefully this will help the working class Chinese people. But, IMO it will only plunge the economy into a deeper hole.  

Chinese are trying to stop the tariffs, it is starting to drain their economy and hurt the party. There is a huge push for Chinese loyalty in China now to try and keep the moral up and spread an anti US propaganda.

Now on the flip side the US market is in a  bull run.  I own some stock in a Dow jones fund and it is delivering over 10% for me. And up a whopping 15-18% for the year. 

Chinese market is on a slide, the mom and pop shops that used to borrow money to put in the market are drying up and the small investors like me are seeking greener pastures. As well as companies getting squeezed by the trade war.

Of course the Singapore riots are not helping China. I believe that eventually China will swoop in and squash the last remaining democracy in the region. It is just a matter of time.

Also no matter who wins the next election in the US, I think the tariffs will be kept in place. Democrat or Republican it doesn't matter. 

The take away is, it is all about the money period. China is not the place to be now and it will sink into a more modest growth model. And, IMO with out open markets, and transparent markets. It will continue to slide.

Not that I really care at this point. IMO it is basically over until they change the way they do business!

As of today those are the facts Jack.. haha

some good points but i think you mean the riots in Hong Kong...

3 hours ago, garyk said:

Not sure when you started investing in China, but it simply doesn't make sense to invest there for the past few years. Didn't you bother to find out about Xi Jinping's many policies? Ever since the Global Financial Crisis, China had realised that it had to change to a more sustainable growth model. Don't tell me you didn't know that China had decided to rebalance its economy and it was willing to accept a slower growth rate?

Maybe you have heard of Xi's huge anti-corruption drive, but that was not the only type of clean-up that he had massively embarked on. China has been making a lot of progress in cleaning up its environment. Although many of its cities still have poor air quality, nowadays the top dirtiest in the world in terms of air quality are often not China cities. 

To clean up its environment, one of the effort is to rely less on exports and China had done a great job in reducing its exports to GDP ratio from 36% in 2006 to 19% in 2018. Compare that to Thailand's (67%) and Malaysia's (70%).

5 hours ago, Selatan said:

Don't tell me you didn't know that China had decided to rebalance its economy and it was willing to accept a slower growth rate?

It is exact, but there is a pebble in the gear;
sales of new cars are in free fall, leading to the closure of many production plants as well as subcontractor factories such as tire manufacturers.

7 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It is exact, but there is a pebble in the gear;
sales of new cars are in free fall, leading to the closure of many production plants as well as subcontractor factories such as tire manufacturers.

I invested in the automotive market there. I have been getting 5.25 % dividends consistently, but the slow down has taken a toll on my investment. Luckily the auto parts market is still in pretty good shape and the price is heading north. I personally am going to wait it out and see what happens. 

13 hours ago, Selatan said:

Not sure when you started investing in China, but it simply doesn't make sense to invest there for the past few years. Didn't you bother to find out about Xi Jinping's many policies? Ever since the Global Financial Crisis, China had realised that it had to change to a more sustainable growth model. Don't tell me you didn't know that China had decided to rebalance its economy and it was willing to accept a slower growth rate?

China was not expecting what is happening now. China got blindsided plain and simple. China got arrogant. And the rebalancing is not going as scripted. 

Regardless I think the EV market in China will take off. Also I think it is one of the few places where exports will increase. So I am in. Now with much, but regardless I am staying put for now.

Archived