Saksayam backs down over mandatory GPS in private vehicles

webfact

Hi hope this idiot of Minister of Transport will be relocated to a dump place with his idea of following all private vehicles to control what: Road safety????????????????????

They should start to have driving schools and trainings for the thais to be able to use cars and motorcicles on the roads as that are not the buffalos from the rice fields, slowly and hamles. As long this is not done there is no road safety in Thailand at all.

Just the next nail into the coffin of a democratic country and not rules and controles from a junta that call themselves a government voted by the people of Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetings from Orwel!!!!!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife has a forward warning collision indicator fitted in her SUV, it has worked extremely well a few times and she has avoided rear ending through it.

The system gives an extremely loud audible warning as the distance to the vehicle in front closes. That’s when I shout “hit the f#@+%”? brakes”.

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Innovative idea. Maybe a business opportunity for the temples as logistics depots :smile:

Most of the Thais know the name and location of all of the local temples so they can ask and get directions from them.  I basicallytell them the name of the Temple and to call me when they get there.

1 hour ago, Brer said:

My wife has a forward warning collision indicator fitted in her SUV, it has worked extremely well a few times and she has avoided rear ending through it.

The system gives an extremely loud audible warning as the distance to the vehicle in front closes. That’s when I shout “hit the f#@+%”? brakes”.

How close do you have to get if you are going 120 and the vehicle in front is stopped?

He claimed that modern GPS systems could help reduce road accidents by alerting drivers of the safe distance between their cars and the vehicles in front of them, and could prevent car theft while enabling owners to keep track of their vehicles’ location.

Far out...   what a load of BS

Don't quite understand how GPS could monitor safe distance between cars, etc. For that you'd need sensors/cameras on the car, not GPS. GPS locates vehicle position to not a very great precision (plus/minus 10m at least) then uses available data to provide navigation and usually (at least on Mazda's GPS) driving assistance, which consists of showing the traffic signs on that little transparent display above the steering wheel (CX3), beeping when exceeding speed by 5 km/h, and very little else. The data is updated annually (just downloaded a week back and it's Feb 2019 package, but lots of it is wrong or at least 3-4 years out of date). Online GPS (like Google Maps) are far better updated and from what I remember now support speed monitoring and comparing with speed limits as well.

But none of these has anything to do with maintaining safe distance. The only "safety feature" is beeping when you exceed speed.

The safety distance monitoring is possible to get from advanced car DVRs, basically cameras that can process image, recognise vehicles, measure distances to them, and warn if they get too close. While many have GPS function, they are not GPS devices that this is being referred to. Making these devices mandatory in vehicles (in some countries you get a discount on car registration when one is installed) or insisting that car manufacturers build them into new vehicles - now that I support. So we could enjoy some wonderful Thai driving on the Youtube also, not just from Russia...

Oh man, Russian dash cam videos are awesome. Dodo awards handed over every minute!

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Ministry of Transport has backed down over plans to mandate that all private cars and motorcycles be equipped with GPS devices, pending further study on real-time connectivity with the database of the Land Transport Department and the costs of that connectivity.

Why didn't you check it before? Even if there is nothing to check, even a three-year-old could have told you that the costs would have been too high, of the connectivity we don't really talk about it!
Did anyone ever tell you? Before opening your mouth, think carefully about what you mean!

10 hours ago, manhood said:

Hi hope this idiot of Minister of Transport will be relocated to a dump place with his idea of following all private vehicles to control what: Road safety????????????????????

They should start to have driving schools and trainings for the thais to be able to use cars and motorcicles on the roads as that are not the buffalos from the rice fields, slowly and hamles. As long this is not done there is no road safety in Thailand at all.

Just the next nail into the coffin of a democratic country and not rules and controles from a junta that call themselves a government voted by the people of Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetings from Orwel!!!!!!

Orwel 1984 = Prayut 2019!

7 minutes ago, 30la said:

Why didn't you check it before? Even if there is nothing to check, even a three-year-old could have told you that the costs would have been too high, of the connectivity we don't really talk about it!
Did anyone ever tell you? Before opening your mouth, think carefully about what you mean!

Costs are the wrong thing to focus on. It'll be car owners paying for it anyway. If they say it is mandatory to use xyz in your car from Jan 1 next year, or you'll be fined for not having it - who do you think will pay for it? Well, you will. If GPS or dash cam or winter tyres or jet engine are made mandatory for your vehicle - you're paying for it. Government people or their friends just might invest into some mandatory equipment factories or suppliers...

On 11/4/2019 at 11:08 AM, RotBenz8888 said:

He claimed that modern GPS systems could help reduce road accidents by alerting drivers of the safe distance between their cars and the vehicles in front of them, and could prevent car theft while enabling owners to keep track of their vehicles’ location.

Why would you put GPS in every car.  Every cell phone has GPS capability and though virtually every driver, certainly every GRAB driver has one, I have yet to see a single Thai driver actually using GPS.  The GRAB drivers all "think" they know where every location is. More often than not, I have to use my phone to navigate them. 

On 11/4/2019 at 12:57 PM, wayned said:

but if they had GPS all that they would have to do is put in the coordinates and they would get an instant map!

LOL, they're talking about a small black box style tracking device which would be installed deep inside your vehicle, not a GPS navigator with a screen.

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

LOL, they're talking about a small black box style tracking device which would be installed deep inside your vehicle, not a GPS navigator with a screen.

I was talking about a proper GPS in all of those eCommerce delivery vehicles.  Where I live getting a delivery from anybody other than Kerry Express or EMS is a real chore and if they had a GPS and I gave them the coordinates of my house 60% of the problem would be over.  The other v40% is attributed to shear laziness.

IMHO, all delivery Companies should have mandatory GPS.  I live up country on a rural dirt road and if I order anything online and it is delivered by anybody but Kerry or Thai Post it's a real [problem.   Over the past 22 years I've had experiences with Kerry, Thai POst, CJGLS, DHL, NINJA, YUSEN and the latest TP LOGISTICS.  I send then emails with GPS coordinates, directions from the nearest main highway junction and a google Map and they still have the driver call when he gets in the area.  I speak a little Thai and the driver usually  speaks no English.  I usually manage to get them to the nearest Temple and meet them there, but if they had GPS all that they would have to do is put in the coordinates and they would get an instant map!

The Thai post is the worst for me they wont even phone oh now i'm going of topic

On 11/4/2019 at 2:26 PM, KhunBENQ said:

usually manage to get them to the nearest Temple and meet them there,

Innovative idea. Maybe a business opportunity for the temples as logistics depots :smile:

And you would trust a monk ?

On 11/4/2019 at 2:37 PM, Classic Ray said:

The Thai Government always trying to introduce technology (with potential for high commission) rather than telling the police to do their job of enforcement, or funding education of drivers in proper behaviour. I always feel that this is a country with a vacuum of a police force which the Government try and fill with all sorts of rubbish. 

Its full already and the filter is blocked.

On 11/4/2019 at 3:20 PM, recom273 said:

No mate, you got the wrong type of GPS, this is a tracker that big brother can track our movements - not a GPS navigator.

i read your post and I sympathize too - Same story, Kerry and the post office are the only people who know my place. I refuse to go and meet other couriers, I just let them spend 2 hours looking for my house. It’s their job to navigate and know where streets are.

Not to mention those conversations that start with “hello” repeated 30 times and then “farang” followed by a nervous laugh that precedes putting the phone down.

anyway .. well off track now. 

Post office know where my house is but still cant be bothered to deliver or phone tracking says failed delivery (3 times) even when i have been home all day

On 11/4/2019 at 10:49 PM, Brer said:

Does she have bad eyesight ? i have been driving all sorts of vehicles for 53 years and never rear ended anyone. well their was that lady but.....

8 hours ago, wayned said:

I was talking about a proper GPS in all of those eCommerce delivery vehicles.  Where I live getting a delivery from anybody other than Kerry Express or EMS is a real chore and if they had a GPS and I gave them the coordinates of my house 60% of the problem would be over.  The other v40% is attributed to shear laziness.

Again, it’s the same problem, people aren’t paid enough to do a decent job - there are hundreds of carrier companies all jumping onboard copying the same man with a van idea, A good courier should be paid well, inavigation and local knowledge a skill. Kerry seen to be organized with enough business and Chinese experience and tech to provide a decent service with regular routes and drivers.

Anyway, we are well off topic 

On 11/4/2019 at 11:08 AM, RotBenz8888 said:

And keeping track potential criminals=all people.

Yes because Thai drivers know absolutely nothing about safe driving distances between cars. The only way to keep safe distance from them is to get the fxxk out of their way when you see them coming up at 160 kmph. GPS aint never going to improve safety here

1 hour ago, KBS999 said:

Yes because Thai drivers know absolutely nothing about safe driving distances between cars. The only way to keep safe distance from them is to get the fxxk out of their way when you see them coming up at 160 kmph. GPS aint never going to improve safety here

Surely they do - it's unsafe to leave more than 2 metres gap due to fast boys trying to squeeze in when you leave any more than that. 

Archived