Why all the discontent?

jpeezy

8 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Getting first hand miserable comments, in this forum. On the other hand, it reach you everywhere. You are right, you just can´t be free from it.

You didnt answer the question .

Suggesting that I'm a miserable person isnt a reason as to why you feel its so great living in Thailand 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Who can predict what any country will be like in 10 years?

That is just ridiculous.

Thailand is still the third world anyway you look at it. 

Politicians get into politics to control budgets to make themselves rich. Therefore the country never moves forward. Ever!

Depending on who is in charge of the govt, the policies can either favor or hinder expats.

Right now the policies seem to be anti-expat

Currency? No one that retired to Thailand predicted the currency would depreciate so much and are now forced to live with it.

Who knows what the currency will do in 10 years? Might be more expensive than your home country?

The big question is HOW many people would have moved to Thailand in the first place if NOT for the cheap and easily available women, who will marry almost anyone?

Thailand is overcrowded, pollution is getting worse ever year, traffic is already at nightmare levels, flooding, monsoons, heat and humidity, mosquitoes, etc. What exactly is the big attraction about living in all that?

I really think if people had the money required to retire in comfort in their own countries, they would have never picked Thailand. Go to Thailand a month or 2 to play around, sure, but move there and have no bridge to get back? No Thanks.

However, if you want to rent a 1 room flat in your golden years and chase bar girls, this is probably the place for you.

The government can pass any policy they want, increase financial requirements to stay, mandatory insurance, you name it. Their country, their rules.

Thailand has taken such a dive the past 2 years, cannot even image 10 years from now?

Of course I wasn't expecting for someone to predict what it would be like in 10 years, that would be silly. Just trying to track the trend, whether up or down. I like to plan things out and set goals, I don't like doing things on a whim as it could be costly.

I would assume my experience would be different if I get my Thai passport (being half-Thai) and all that, correct? 

My experience has been only as a tourist, maybe been to Thailand about 20 times since 2013. The food and accommodation is cheap from that experience. But I can definitely empathize with the changing of rules for persons on retirement visas.

My home country is the USA, although there are some good things about it, I just don't really like living there. Crime rate, politics and costs are just not to my taste. Mind you, I was living out of the US from 2007 until 2019, and when I came back to work there it was like a totally different country to me. Maybe the whole world is going downhill lol

9 minutes ago, jpeezy said:

To be honest, and not to offend anyone here, but a lot of it sounds to me like the grumpy get off my lawn type complaints, if that makes sense.

Exactly right.

The days of bow-to-the-farang are over. Blame the Chinese or Japanese or whoever but the glory days of entitled white skin are past. Now it's get in line like everybody else, which of course pisses of some long-timers who were used to being precious.

The immigration-related nuisances are just that, nuisances. Maybe a day's hassle once a year or so. And not even that if you use an agent.

I've lived'/worked in many different countries in Asia, Europe and the US. By far the most fun to be had and the easiest paced life to be had at a reasonable cost is here in Thailand. But do not come here if you have to scrape by. Then it's upside down, a lousy place to be a struggling foreigner, sadly the case for many TV stalwarts who live in a box in Nakhon Nowhere with a fishwife who looked beautiful at the top of a pole 17 years ago.

Btw, to be fair TV is invaluable fount of information. But you have to glide past the nattering nabobs of negativism.

Bottom line, spend a few months here before burning any boats. Living and touring are very different.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Suggesting that I'm a miserable person isnt a reason as to why you feel its so great living in Thailand 

It could be if one delighted in your misery LOL 

When you first arrive in Thailand , it appears to be the land of smiles .

Everyones smiling and happy

After a prolonged time of living in Thailand , you realise that a smile is for all emotions .

A guy on a motorbike going fast at night without headligths and driving on the wrong side of the road will laught and smile when he nearly kills you by running you over as you step into the road when the light is red.

How funny mate

54 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The complaints are valid .

Thailand has changed from a free for all do as you like no hassle free living , to a strict unwelcoming Country  where its akin to living in an open jail .

WALOR. In which open jail did you live please?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Sorry, never suggested that you were a miserable person. Everybody spout some negativity sometimes. It´was regarding all the positive wibes you get everytime you check in att this fine virtual establishment. ???? 

Ohh, the 1 million dollar question. Why I feel so great living in Thailand? It´s just wonderful every single day. The climate, so much o see and do as well as the friendly people that amazes me everyday.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

When you first arrive in Thailand , it appears to be the land of smiles .

Everyones smiling and happy

After a prolonged time of living in Thailand , you realise that a smile is for all emotions .

A guy on a motorbike going fast at night without headligths and driving on the wrong side of the road will laught and smile when he nearly kills you by running you over as you step into the road when the light is red.

How funny mate

Yep, also the last electricians who did some work for me, when questioned about their shoddy work, were smiling broadly :coffee1:

32 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

Sanemax is bang on the money here.

What makes it worse is that many can remember the 'good old days' when all you needed to do to be legal in the country was hop on the train to Penang and return a few days later with a nice shiny METV (or whatever) for a few hundred baht and the only hassle was getting a cab to Ferenghi Beach to use its meter. 

Now they have to 'check in' even if they just pop down to see a pal in another town for a few nights.

I've not yet been back under these 'new conditions' but will have to soon. For the first time in my long (30 yr) working history in Thailand, I'm not looking forward to going back too much. Were it not for the fact that I'm 'tied' to Thailand, I'd certainly be looking elsewhere in SEA but as our only other regional office is in SIngapore or Jakarta. In fact I'm not too sure the new rules apply to me on a non immi B/Work Permit but that doesn't alter the fact the new rules are stringent, not to mention ridiculous. 

I can understand why so many feel like they've been let down. for years they have lived legally in Thailand, made lives for themselves only to be made to jump through increasingly difficult hoops, seemingly at the ever changing whims of the powers that be.

Ditto.  I understand and accept the crackdown, but it was supposed to be just the bad guys.  They have cracked down on the good guys, and every day the bad guys just ignore it all.  If caught they leave and pay 20,000 Baht fine for over-stay.  If one of them stays 2 years - that means it cost them 10K Baht a year, and no 90 day reports, no TM30s, and no Annual Extensions hassles and costs - a bargain if you dont intend to return.  They have completely stuffed this up - unless what they did want to do was to drive out and keep out as many Farangs as they can (like China has over the last few years).  I could not find it, but there was an article recently by a blogger who has been in China for about 15 years, and their changes for Expats in last 5 years are like those in in Thailand.  Leave the house for 24 hours and you have to report - that is a Communist State.

52 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

Don't believe all you read.  Assuming you have adequate savings and income to satisfy long stay visa requirements, Thailand is a great place to live.  Sure, prices are higher than a few years ago.....as they are everywhere.  

My wife and I have been here for 23 years.....no problems at all.  Actually, the country, at least where we live, is getting better all the time

I agree, and I wonder if the OP has looked at expat forums for other countries too. My experience is that complaints from expats are very common elsewhere and I am not sure why. Maybe people dislike change and yearn for the familiar deep down, or maybe cognitive dissonance sets in, once the rose tinted specatacles we all wear on arrival, wear out. 

I can only suggest giving thailand (or anywhere) a try for 3 months to experience living mode rather than tourist mode as the two are quite different. And Thailand doesnt suit everyone clearly!.

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Sorry, never suggested that you were a miserable person. Everybody spout some negativity sometimes. It´was regarding all the positive wibes you get everytime you check in att this fine virtual establishment. ???? 

Ohh, the 1 million dollar question. Why I feel so great living in Thailand? It´s just wonderful every single day. The climate, so much o see and do as well as the friendly people that amazes me everyday.

Dont forget the TM30s every time you go see or do anything away from the wife's village for a day. 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

The complaints are valid .

Thailand has changed from a free for all do as you like no hassle free living , to a strict unwelcoming Country  where its akin to living in an open jail .

Says the man who failed living here and now taken in by his elderly mom in the UK yet still continues to spread the hate. Thats the worst type of Thai basher who just cant cut the chord with Thailand.

Most of the haters are only a handful that bash anything Thai..sad

<deleted> 

That hate has grown legs mainly because their own embassies stopped issuing BS affidavits and now they screwed!!  

It is ultimately a very individual experience. If the OP is half-Thai and qualifies for a Thai passport I have to believe that his experience will be radically different from most on here. The OP mentions all the changes in the US that have occurred, and it's important to realize that changes are occuring around the world. Housing affordability, racial and political tensions, the opioid epidemic, income inequality are just a few of the problems anyone considering repatriation back to the West needs to consider.

To answer the OP's question as directly as possible, I think there is a widespread perception that the Thai military government is less hospitable towards expats than previous governments. While many argue that the changes in financial requirements and address reporting were justifiably needed to clean out the so-called riff-raff, there are also many people who feel a great deal of resentment about these changes because they have been made rather abruptly and with callous disregard for the realities of being retired and generally being on a fixed income. Many people feel resentful because they see these changes as somewhat arbitrary and fail to consider the realities that people made decisions to move here, invest considerable amounts of money in property, and made family and business commitments based on the rules which were in force at the time. These changes have also generated a fair amount of anxiety and uncertainty about the possiblility of further changes in the future. This arm's length relationship that the Thai government is projecting towards foreigners may also be triggering a broader re-evaluation about whether or not it is as possible as had been previously hoped to fully integrate socially into Thai society.

As the OP is half Thai....he shouldn't have any visa issues, possibly family for support, possibly could work/own a business, own his own property...will be treated as a Thai so no double pricing or scams....most of the negatives that we foreigners moan about won't apply to him....

12 minutes ago, madmen said:

Says the man who failed living here and now taken in by his elderly mom in the UK yet still continues to spread the hate. Thats the worst type of Thai basher who just cant cut the chord with Thailand.

Most of the haters are only a handful that bash anything Thai..sad

<deleted> 

That hate has grown legs mainly because their own embassies stopped issuing BS affidavits and now they screwed!!  

You still continue with the lies .

I needed to return to the UK to sort a few issues out in regards to my UK life which has nothing to do with my stay in Thailand .

My Mum also welcomed me home and suggested that I stay permanently .

I am also not Thai bashing or hating .

I also didnt ever get an affidavit from my Embassy 

.Maybe you just cannot take any criticism and just smile all the time at everything, like the locals ?

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

What is the reason and logic behind it ?

Is it because that if there is a crime commited , the Police know where the culprits will be staying ?

They want to constantly remind expats that placing hundreds of thousands of baht in Thai banks, supporting Thai women, children, and extended family, purchasing homes, furniture, and vehicles...is suspicious activity!  ????

1 hour ago, jpeezy said:

I will acknowledge there are problems in Thailand as there are everywhere. So, is it really that bad?

No, it's not that bad ... but it's day to day life which get's discussed, and changing climates, reality ... etc. etc. etc. It can't always all be roses.

Why always these questions and remarks about complaining?

We all come here, get fascinated at first ... and love it. Then we settle down.

But it's not always everything 100% super sunshine and hunky dory, day in day out ... 

... where to go to and talk to likewise people in similar situations? Discuss the good, the bad and the ugly?

To the local Thai market at 4am in the morning and vent it out with all the Thai grannies?

... or on a forum with Farangs?

It's not complaining ... it's a forum ... by nature, a lot of negative sounding things come up. 

I would say it's more venting ... sometimes ranting ... what's wrong with that?

After living for a few years here, I start to get "most fed-up with Farangs" who perceive every little thing against Thailand and living here as complaining. And often get into a state of denial defending everything Thai.

It get's a bit boring to say the least.

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

am also not Thai bashing or hating

Show me ten happy thai post you made in the last 6 months then ?

I rest my case. ...How will you ever settle down and have a life in the UK if your headspace is permanently in Thailand?

its not healthy but up to you

9 minutes ago, madmen said:

Show me ten happy thai post you made in the last 6 months then ?

I rest my case. ...How will you ever settle down and have a life in the UK if your headspace is permanently in Thailand?

its not healthy but up to you

I have frequently been accused of being a Thai apologist on these forums , although I am neither an apologist or a hater , I just IMO comment fairly on what I see , although in the last few years , I have gone from a staunch defender of Thailand to more center and more critical , although thats because of the way Thailand has changed in the last few years .

I shall hopefully be going to Thailand for Christmas , but thats mainly just to visit friends, rather than wanting to go to Thailand

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

A bit harsh imho, but it's true that some 20 years ago the place was happier.

Don't you agree that the whole world was happier 20 years ago?

Looking back, who do you think is responsible for this misery?

3 minutes ago, ravip said:

Don't you agree that the whole world was happier 20 years ago?

Looking back, who do you think is responsible for this misery?

Surely i agree.

I blame myself for getting old, but the alternative was worse.

More in general, overpopulation is making things harder for everyone, but feel free to disagree ????

22 minutes ago, RedPill said:

No, it's not that bad ... but it's day to day life which get's discussed, and changing climates, reality ... etc. etc. etc. It can't always all be roses.

Why always these questions and remarks about complaining?

We all come here, get fascinated at first ... and love it. Then we settle down.

But it's not always everything 100% super sunshine and hunky dory, day in day out ... 

... where to go to and talk to likewise people in similar situations? Discuss the good, the bad and the ugly?

To the local Thai market at 4am in the morning and vent it out with all the Thai grannies?

... or on a forum with Farangs?

It's not complaining ... it's a forum ... by nature, a lot of negative sounding things come up. 

I would say it's more venting ... sometimes ranting ... what's wrong with that?

After living for a few years here, I start to get "most fed-up with Farangs" who perceive every little thing against Thailand and living here as complaining. And often get into a state of denial defending everything Thai.

It get's a bit boring to say the least.

Fair enough, I do realize the need to vent and discuss issues on the forum, I wasn't trying to be offensive by any means.

But, it was just my observation that there seemed to be more negative sentiments than positive from what I have seen. Now, I can't say I have read every post so it is all anecdotal.

Another poster stated that the negativity may be  on other forums for other countries, which I admittedly haven't really looked into. 

What would be an alternative country to keep an eye on in SEA? Vietnam?

Archived