Why all the discontent?

jpeezy

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Most females have them the World over and its also about the same price in other countries and you get more variety

Most females? That's a paradox in itself.

So, getting your assets split 50:50 under most Western jurisdictions is about the same price? Don't ever try to be a financial adviser.

Thailand has plenty of variety. Perhaps you lived a very quiet, impecunious life here.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Most females? That's a paradox in itself.

So, getting your assets split 50:50 under most Western jurisdictions is about the same price? Don't ever try to be a financial adviser.

Thailand has plenty of variety. Perhaps you lived a very quiet, impecunious life here.

We are talking about prostitution, rather than marriage and 50-50 split is better then a 51-49 split anyway .

Small and brown isnt much of a variety

1 hour ago, kokesaat said:

Assuming you have adequate savings and income to satisfy long stay visa requirements, Thailand is a great place to live. 

And I think that says it all... 

In the West it is difficult to save enough for retirement and an unhappy situation is created where a large % enter elderly years broke... 

I think many of the complainers here would not feel as discontent and 'discriminated' against if they had more income. If the posters here put their income levels and savings, I think it would tell you the story... 

I am sure very few of us here could have predicted such a currency depreciation as many have experienced... but, calling a 200 baht national park fee 'racism' speaks of a much deeper discontent... 

Just now, sanemax said:

We are talking about prostitution, rather than marriage and 50-50 split is better then a 51-49 split anyway .

Small and brown isnt much of a variety

Well, I'm talking right across the spectrum. There's small and brown, very white and tall. Busty and slim. Thai Yai, Lisu, Akha,

Lahu, Hmong, Lanna. About 24 ethnic groups.

You obviously didn't get around a lot.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Well, I'm talking right across the spectrum. There's small and brown, very white and tall. Busty and slim. Thai Yai, Lisu, Akha,

Lahu, Hmong, Lanna. About 24 ethnic groups.

You obviously didn't get around a lot.

^Thats not getting around very much is it ?

Thats just slight variations of the same thing .

There are females from all over the world in Western cities

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I was getting way less sex 20 years ago, when I was 40 and married in the UK.

Ignorance is bliss!

Yes, then your wife left you and took your house and kids and you went to Thailand to bang as many 20 year olds as possible to get revenge and to make up for all your sexless years , you have mentioned that before

7 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

The inconvenients:
 - Invasive plastic waste.
 - Local relations based on money.
 - Local cuisine far below its reputation.
 - The language difficult and repulsive.
 - The price of wine

It's a funny old life, I don't suffer from any of your 'inconvenients'

You missed parking large wads of your money in Thai banks, reporting your address every night, corrupt immigration officers, VISA regulations changing every year, double pricing ..... who gives a flying fig about plastic waste?

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Who can predict what any country will be like in 10 years?

That is just ridiculous.

Thailand is still the third world anyway you look at it. 

Politicians get into politics to control budgets to make themselves rich. Therefore the country never moves forward. Ever!

Depending on who is in charge of the govt, the policies can either favor or hinder expats.

Right now the policies seem to be anti-expat

Currency? No one that retired to Thailand predicted the currency would depreciate so much and are now forced to live with it.

Who knows what the currency will do in 10 years? Might be more expensive than your home country?

The big question is HOW many people would have moved to Thailand in the first place if NOT for the cheap and easily available women, who will marry almost anyone?

Thailand is overcrowded, pollution is getting worse ever year, traffic is already at nightmare levels, flooding, monsoons, heat and humidity, mosquitoes, etc. What exactly is the big attraction about living in all that?

I really think if people had the money required to retire in comfort in their own countries, they would have never picked Thailand. Go to Thailand a month or 2 to play around, sure, but move there and have no bridge to get back? No Thanks.

However, if you want to rent a 1 room flat in your golden years and chase bar girls, this is probably the place for you.

The government can pass any policy they want, increase financial requirements to stay, mandatory insurance, you name it. Their country, their rules.

Thailand has taken such a dive the past 2 years, cannot even image 10 years from now?

Spot on.

2 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Don't believe all you read.  Assuming you have adequate savings and income to satisfy long stay visa requirements, Thailand is a great place to live.  Sure, prices are higher than a few years ago.....as they are everywhere.  

My wife and I have been here for 23 years.....no problems at all.  Actually, the country, at least where we live, is getting better all the time

Prices not going up everywhere.

I think the country is getting worse, not better.

31 minutes ago, sanemax said:

^Thats not getting around very much is it ?

Thats just slight variations of the same thing .

There are females from all over the world in Western cities

Mostly beached whales, from what I have observed. But if rolling in flour is what turns you on, be my guest.

Tell me, did you even bother to learn any Thai?

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

They want to constantly remind expats that placing hundreds of thousands of baht in Thai banks, supporting Thai women, children, and extended family, purchasing homes, furniture, and vehicles...is suspicious activity!  ????

It saves Thailand from having to implement a social service net/welfare system.  The farangs bear that cost of taking care of the needy.

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Mostly beached whales, from what I have observed. But if rolling in flour is what turns you on, be my guest.

Tell me, did you even bother to learn any Thai?

Eh ?

All Thai females are slim and all Females from every other country in the World are fat ?

And you think that I dont get around much !!!!!!

No, I didnt bother to learn Thai

6 minutes ago, wisperone said:

It saves Thailand from having to implement a social service net/welfare system.  The farangs bear that cost of taking care of the needy.

It saves husbands and boyfriends who have abandoned their women and children...from having to act responsibly...????

3 hours ago, jpeezy said:

Maybe I have a skewed view, I been living outside the USA for the past 11 years from places like Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain and South Korea. I have only been to Thailand as a visitor so I haven't dealt with the residency headaches etc. That being said, I think some of the countries I have mentioned are way more like an "open jail".

To be honest, and not to offend anyone here, but a lot of it sounds to me like the grumpy get off my lawn type complaints, if that makes sense.

Is it possibly because it could be so much better but very frustrating that it isn't?

Also, me being half Thai, would that make a difference quality-of-life wise, when I go through the process to gain residency/citizenship?

If you are half Thai, then surely you know more about Thailand and the frequent gripes than you are letting on, no? ????

Indeed, you should be acutely aware of how racism plagues the country, for example. 

Thailand is a country where it's nice only if you never look too closely. The whole society's dealings with the outside, non-Thai world is modeled on superficiality and tourism type of exchanges.

If you never look past the many plastic smiles, and as long as you are paying (transacting), everything is fine. But, outsiders will never find true Thai friendship or interest in them. 

I've lived and worked on and off in Thailand for 30 years. And, I know only a tiny number of foreigners who ever have true Thai friends. These are all types of foreigners - guys working in government, guys earning 1MM THB a month leading multinational companies, guys in religious missions, profesional teachers at top universities here, others. 

Mostly very nice guys, unlike me. But, like me, almost not a single Thai friendship among them. 

Why? 

It's a transactional country with attractive people. That's it. 

Spend months observing how many genuine expat/Thai interactions (not sexual ones) you see, and ask why so few. I've not been to a single other country anywhere in the world where this lack of true exchange is so apparent. Although, Saudi comes close. 

2 hours ago, jpeezy said:

To be honest, and not to offend anyone here, but a lot of it sounds to me like the grumpy get off my lawn type complaints, if that makes sense.

Kinda agree......20 years ago EVERYTHING was better - because I was 20 years younger. That goes for Thailand, the US, Europe, long flights, delays, bureaucratic hassles, and girls (who were prettier and found me more handsome).  

Plus I think inflation and the currency exchange rate, has hit people more than they want to admit. If I don't want to talk about my financial struggles, I find other things to blame, such as added immigration rules.  

in the next 10 or so years

Dreamer

Without a doubt everything was better 20 years ago. If I had to put a date on it maybe 2000-3. Certainly after 2006 coup things started to slide. Now we're just frogs in a kettle.

yoda.jpg

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

It truly can be a wonderful place to retire. Secret to happiness, is dont have any interaction with Thais...

....and with foreigners.  Don't forget that!  Just lock your doors, order food by phone.  If anyone knocks at your door, just shout FC*K OFF!

8 minutes ago, La Migra said:

Plus I think inflation and the currency exchange rate, has hit people more than they want to admit. If I don't want to talk about my financial struggles, I find other things to blame, such as added immigration rules.  

The only thing wrong with Thailand is the bad exchange rate for foreigners ?

Everything is wonderful and its only poor foreigners who complain and anything because they are poor?

The pollution is wonderful and foreigners only complain about it is because they are poor ?

Righto

1 hour ago, jpeezy said:

Fair enough, I do realize the need to vent and discuss issues on the forum, I wasn't trying to be offensive by any means.

But, it was just my observation that there seemed to be more negative sentiments than positive from what I have seen. Now, I can't say I have read every post so it is all anecdotal.

Another poster stated that the negativity may be  on other forums for other countries, which I admittedly haven't really looked into. 

What would be an alternative country to keep an eye on in SEA? Vietnam?

The past 5 years of gov and future outlook definitely left a big trail of issues and dissatisfaction behind ... not only for Farangs.

I hear a lot of Thai's around me complaining much more than they did a few years back. The Thai's themselves changed a lot, too.

People who say Thailand is the best and all is super perfect and so nice and free and easy and cheap and and ... I think they missed the past few years of changes ...

Alternative country, I don't know ... I loved the Thailand from a few years back. But to be honest, that is all slowly fading away ...

... a big game changer was for me to get a 'real' and closer look behind the scenes, the education system, the classes, why things are as they are, the 1-2% on top etc. 

It's still easy and nice to live here ... but I would definitely not be as sad to leave as I would have been, let's say a few years back.

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Says the man who failed living here and now taken in by his elderly mom in the UK yet still continues to spread the hate. Thats the worst type of Thai basher who just cant cut the chord with Thailand.

Most of the haters are only a handful that bash anything Thai..sad

<deleted> 

That hate has grown legs mainly because their own embassies stopped issuing BS affidavits and now they screwed!!  

It's hardly 'spreading hate'. Let's keep things real.

For the record, the headaches and hassles have doubled. Bangkok is far dirtier, things are much more expensive (big c things not farang things). Very disappointed in the politics here. Most of all just disappointed in Thailand. The waste, lack of progress. I expected more and want more for my adopted home and my wife. It seems to becoming more not less a sh1+hole not less. Corruption and dysfunctional govt...

But life is good and TM30 aside nothing changed in daily life. Making good money. Have a good life. Healthy and so is wife.

We holiday outside of Thailand until TM30 is dropped.

14 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

It's hardly 'spreading hate'. Let's keep things real.

Problem is, when you say what is 'real', you become automatically a basher ... so that's a catch 22 

Aside of the fact that you really can't speak out what you really want to say ... freedom of speech is a bit of a problem in Thailand.

One thing I have noticed is the general discontent of being in Thailand from some forum users.

Its this forum and a goodly amount of wingers and moaners.

Its famous for being the biggest Thai-centric moaning, depressive, glass half empty forum on the net.

Ignore them and check it out for yourself.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

The complaints are valid .

Thailand has changed from a free for all do as you like no hassle free living , to a strict unwelcoming Country  where its akin to living in an open jail .

See what i mean?

Utter tosh.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

What is so great about living in Thailand ?

Why are you here?

3 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Don't believe all you read.  Assuming you have adequate savings and income to satisfy long stay visa requirements, Thailand is a great place to live.  Sure, prices are higher than a few years ago.....as they are everywhere.  

My wife and I have been here for 23 years.....no problems at all.  Actually, the country, at least where we live, is getting better all the time

Thank you.

Some sanity, peace, happiness and tranquility.

8 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Its this forum and a goodly amount of wingers and moaners.

Its famous for being the biggest Thai-centric moaning, depressive, glass half empty forum on the net.

Ignore them and check it out for yourself.

See what i mean?

Utter tosh.

Why are you here?

Thank you.

Some sanity, peace, happiness and tranquility.

Posters shouldnt complain about anything ?

Just smile and convince yourself that you are happy and content and everythings wonderful ?

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Living here causes discontent.

It's not something I can explain to you, you have to live it for yourself.

On  my shopping trips to Big C, Tesco lotus , etc .

What i see on the faces of most faralangs is doom and  gloom ..

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Posters shouldnt complain about anything ?

Just smile and convince yourself that you are happy and content and everythings wonderful ?

Do you complain in English or Thai?

36 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, I didnt bother to learn Thai

See where i'm going here?

The common denominator.

The bottom line.

I find the countryside, and countryside, small provincial cities and town folk still wonderful.

I don't live in an expat ghetto or tourist trap.

Yes i speak the lingo, inter act and integrate with the locals.

Like i have wherever i've been.

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Yep, nobody likes that.

If i have a friend sleeping in the house, i am supposed to report that. And the opposite.

Mind boggling if you ask me.

Immi  is  knocking on  your door ...

Archived