Why all the discontent?

jpeezy

1 minute ago, bwpage3 said:

If it is so difficult, how do you explain 10,000's of Thai's living and surviving Financially in Florida in 2019?

Immigrants tend to live together in groups... 

If you are interested, check the statistics about how many over 90 elderly have any funds left... it is pretty dire. Very sad.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, and this thread is about why some people feel discontented in Thailand and such people who feel discounted are stating why they feel discontentment .

The Thai government seems quite hostile to Foreigners at the moment , the Country has become a lot stricter and we stated our reasons for our discontentment , as requested by the OP

But you are in the UK....not Thailand. How are your comments relevant?

My take from the OP is why is there discontent expressed by people actually living in Thailand. Perhaps you should recuse yourself from the discussion.

12 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

People like to get stuff off their chest instead of carrying it around with them and getting depressed so this forum ends up working a bit like a city's sewer system which is very important for maintaining a healthy population and like a sewer it can get a bit on the nose and when you go to a sewerage treatment plant all that stuff is treated and comes out smelling like roses.That's why it can seem a bit negative and it may also seem like some of the posters may seem a bit negative if people meet them somewhere else they might not see or notice these things.

A bit negative? Bit of an understatement I think.

11 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Pollution.  Tell me all about it - we lived in Chaing Mai for years.  Both my health and my need to get the pension, dictated we leave Chiang Mai.  Over a year ago we visited the family and friends and the pollution was very very bad. When back in Aus I was sick for 2 weeks - the clean air here sure suits an ex-smoker's lungs - Thailand's does not.

But it could be worse - China is a shocker - and that is an issue over all 3rd world SEAsia.  However the lack of enforcement and management in Thailand is not acceptable to any rational examination.  Sure <deleted> from Indonesia and China comes into Thailand at times, but what do they actually do to stop farmers and others burning off their old crops and other toxic waste year after year after year? Nothing but talk. Farmers are growing Sugar Cane for the higher returns and getting 3 crops a year - which they burn off afterwards. Others do corn and that also burns off a lot of smoke compared to rice.  Nothing is done. Year after year.  I got sick and was sick of it.

Mate, show me how to grow three sugar crops a year and I will make you a millionaire overnight. I've been in sugar for over 25 years and do know a little about it.

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's a matter of percentages. Compared to the Western world, the average Thai female is much slimmer and much more appealing to me. Take a walk through shopping malls anywhere in the West. The obesity levels, male and female, are disgusting.

I thought so. You never "bothered" to learn Thai. How on earth do you expect to communicate or enjoy the culture and people of any country you are in if you can't even speak or understand their language?

take a walk through the malls in the Gold coast Australia and try to keep your jaw off the floor. 

On 11/4/2019 at 6:17 PM, sanemax said:

In open jails, you are allowed out in the daytime and have to report back at night .

Same as Thailand , although you can stay where you like, you still have to report where you are staying every night

I have to report where I am staying once every five or six years. Might I suggest you try applying for permanent residence......if the Thais will have you, that is.

Rooster

10 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I have to report where I am staying once every five or six years. Might I suggest you try applying for permanent residence......if the Thais will have you, that is.

Rooster

I do believe that you also have to report everytime you stay in a different place , or the hotel does anyway

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do believe that you also have to report everytime you stay in a different place , or the hotel does anyway

A hotel would, but then they would assume I am a visitor to Thailand and I have never found it necessary to put them right on that assumption.

Rooster

On 11/4/2019 at 6:11 PM, sanemax said:

The complaints are valid .

Thailand has changed from a free for all do as you like no hassle free living , to a strict unwelcoming Country  where its akin to living in an open jail .

Great answer. Got it in one.

On 11/4/2019 at 1:21 PM, kenk24 said:

And I think that says it all... 

In the West it is difficult to save enough for retirement and an unhappy situation is created where a large % enter elderly years broke... 

I think many of the complainers here would not feel as discontent and 'discriminated' against if they had more income. If the posters here put their income levels and savings, I think it would tell you the story... 

I am sure very few of us here could have predicted such a currency depreciation as many have experienced... but, calling a 200 baht national park fee 'racism' speaks of a much deeper discontent... 

Anywhere I have travelled in the world I have gone through immigration and moved from hotel to hotel or apartment to apartment, without having to provide any information to the immigration authorities. As long as I don't overstay I'm pretty much free to go about my business within the country.

Not so in Thailand, where your every move apparently needs to be monitored? 

Absolutely nothing to do with your bank balance. I don't want to live somewhere were I feel like a prisoner on parole. 

18 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Anywhere I have travelled in the world I have gone through immigration and moved from hotel to hotel or apartment to apartment, without having to provide any information to the immigration authorities. As long as I don't overstay I'm pretty much free to go about my business within the country.

Not so in Thailand, where your every move apparently needs to be monitored? 

Absolutely nothing to do with your bank balance. I don't want to live somewhere were I feel like a prisoner on parole. 

Obviously you have made your decision. Enjoy your life wherever you are.

I don't share your views but we are all different.

18 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Thais are not as racist as much as some people say.  But definitely their default setting is to not trust any foreigners - from anywhere in the world.  But once you get to know them, and them you, they are usually fine - as individuals. 

You mean more like Xenophobia? I know when I was in Korea, similar thinking and attitude. Basically, if a crime occurred, there was an attitude that it had to be foreigner who did this until proven otherwise, for example. Although in their defense it is a very strict culture and the crime rate is extremely low.

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

And you like the crime rate, politics, pollution, of Thailand?

Well, I haven't been living in Thailand to experience problems with the politics. My intention of this thread was to get some further insight on the negativity I have observed and I have seen a lot of good points made and taken all into consideration.

Pollution is an obvious problem in Thailand. Is it the worse I have seen? Burn pits in Iraq were pretty nasty, the foggy haze from the factories in South Korea weren't too good either. Not taking away the fact that there is a pollution in Thailand of course, I haven't been to any areas where I felt I couldn't breath, but I haven't been all over the country either.

Crime rate? My limited observation is that there isn't a lot of violent crime, at least compared to the US. I don't feel like I have the need to look over my shoulder constantly, unless I am in an obviously shady area/dark alley at 3 am or something. Is this me being ignorant and that crime is more prevalent than I realized? I can handle petty theft etc, pretty much any 3rd world or developing country has those problems.

Side note: At one point in my life I wanted to eventually live in Costa Rica, but I just really enjoy being in Asia and fell in love with Thailand. But maybe that is just me being relatively "new" and that will wear off after doing a longer stay.

It's really a question of perception. The negs on the forum have got into the habit of looking for the bad, and don't let them deter you if you are planning to retire here. For every expat moaner, there is one who is very happy with the life they have created here.

Yes it has changed, the entire universe is in a constant state of change, but that shouldn't be an issue.

39 minutes ago, jpeezy said:

Side note: At one point in my life I wanted to eventually live in Costa Rica, but I just really enjoy being in Asia and fell in love with Thailand. But maybe that is just me being relatively "new" and that will wear off after doing a longer stay.

I fell in love with Thailand 35 years ago and am still smitten!!

On 11/4/2019 at 8:34 PM, BritManToo said:

It's a funny old life, I don't suffer from any of your 'inconvenients'

You missed parking large wads of your money in Thai banks, reporting your address every night, corrupt immigration officers, VISA regulations changing every year, double pricing ..... who gives a flying fig about plastic waste?

if you focus on the bad that that's all you'll see.

10 hours ago, madmen said:

take a walk through the malls in the Gold coast Australia and try to keep your jaw off the floor. 

Even if what you say is true, at my age, why would they even give me any attention? Here, I am still a prospect, even though I have a Thai GF.

I can't think of any of your purported Gold Coast stunners who would consider a male 24 years older than them.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Even if what you say is true, at my age, why would they even give me any attention? '

Why do you want any attention from anyone ?

Is it to improve 

your  ego and make you feel attractive and wanted ?

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Even if what you say is true, at my age, why would they even give me any attention? Here, I am still a prospect, even though I have a Thai GF.

I can't think of any of your purported Gold Coast stunners who would consider a male 24 years older than them.

Only 24 years ?????

I'm looking at stunners 40+ years younger than me.

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why do you want any attention from anyone ?

Is it to improve 

your  ego and make you feel attractive and wanted ?

I think it is preferable to having someone look right through you as if you did not exist.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Only 24 years ?????

I'm looking at stunners 40+ years younger than me.

We have different attitudes on the topic of the age gap. I'm happy with my choice, you're happy with yours. We are happier than some of the miseryguts on this thread.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

We have different attitudes on the topic of the age gap. I'm happy with my choice, you're happy with yours. We are happier than some of the miseryguts on this thread.

I actually encountered a 40 year old English lady last week, attractive and slim, recently divorced and moved to Thailand a few months ago to work. Told me she would like to meet someone but zero attention so far from any males of any age or nationality, apparently she's invisible to men, they just look right through her.

Earning a decent wage too!

On 11/5/2019 at 12:11 AM, sanemax said:

The complaints are valid .

Thailand has changed from a free for all do as you like no hassle free living , to a strict unwelcoming Country  where its akin to living in an open jail .

I disagree. The discontented would probably be discontented in Utopia.

It may be more irksome to extend that it used to be, but it's not impossible by a long shot.

Other than that, if people are discontented it's probably because   they want to live a better life than they can afford.

they live in the wrong place

they are involved/ married to the wrong woman

they didn't know what they were moving to, and expected something different

it's too hot

it's too crowded

the traffic is too dangerous

it's too corrupt

people don't speak English

they can't sell the condo they shouldn't have bought in the first place

an all night disco started next door and they can't move because they can't sell then house they shouldn't have bought in the first place

a rock crushing plant started next door and …………………..

the farmers burn their stubble and pollute the air, but they can't move elsewhere because they bought a house and …………………

the military/ the pro Thaksin party/ the anti Thaksin party runs the country

they bought a car, a house and several buffalo for a 20 year old they fell in love with after a 24 hour sex fest and she kicked them out.

Etcetera

Definitely the country has changed in the past 30 years, but if one can't be happy in LOS, the problem is within one's self, not the country.

Archived