Help please

You'll be fine.  Get a tourist visa before you go and then a flight out to Vietnam inside 60 days.  It's a throwaway.  Extend visa in thailand and book a flight you'll actually use to Vietnam more around 90 days.  Then get another tourist visa in Saigon - I've got a few visas there and it's easy and NO QUEUE EVER.  Stay in Vietnam though for minimum 2 weeks coz it's good.  So that will cover you for 200 days.  One more trip to Nam and back after that will be fine as well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

What job do you expect to get when you finish your degree? How will you be funding your time in Thailand whilst not working? Thailand isn't the easy place to live re visas and visa running as it used to be. How old are you, this could be a factor.

it can be done but I think you will be in for a world of pain living on the edge and refusals of entries eventually. Make sure you can afford a ticket home no matter what may happen.

if you are pussy struck, which is quite likely, perhaps consider the Philippines as it may be easier for a US passport holder. The girls are the same.

The girls are very far from the same. The culture is far from the same. 

The visa however is much easier, you can stay for up to 3 years renewing every three months. Then you leave the country and another 3 years is possible. 

Buy a 5 year Elite Visa or consider marriage and then a marriage visa. Elite Visa would probably be much cheaper in the long run.

Thailand have raised the bar with regards to back to back tourist visas recently I wouldn't want to chance tourist visas for long stay,

• Like 2

3 hours ago, randymarsh said:

You'll be fine.  Get a tourist visa before you go and then a flight out to Vietnam inside 60 days.  It's a throwaway.  Extend visa in thailand and book a flight you'll actually use to Vietnam more around 90 days.  Then get another tourist visa in Saigon - I've got a few visas there and it's easy and NO QUEUE EVER.  Stay in Vietnam though for minimum 2 weeks coz it's good.  So that will cover you for 200 days.  One more trip to Nam and back after that will be fine as well.

So you recommend I get a tourist visa in my own country before I come? This is what i did last time - but my flight information I gave them was a 90 day round trip bangkok back to US. If in my visa application at the DC embassy I give them 2 tickets for my flight information: 1 round trip to bangkok, and 1 ticket out of bangkok to Saigon, they'd approve my visa? Could my ticket to saigon be a roundtrip or you recommend I do a one way? And for the saigon ticket, could the ticket going to saigon be 90 days after I arrive in thailand, or would it have to be 60 days or less?

4 hours ago, noodleslayer said:

Please let me know what you think my best option would be for what I want, thanks

A Multi Entry Tourist Visa would be the best option if you can meet the criteria.

Failing that, you should get a Single Entry Tourist Visa that will give you 60 days on entry and can be extended by 30 days once in the country. You should be able to get two further SETV's from countries local to Thailand. It is best to re-enter by land.

You will always stand the chance of being questioned or denied entry when you enter, especially given your age. I suggest you carry a letter from your girlfriend confirming the reason for your long stay is to visit her. Have a copy of her ID too; signed and including her phone number. If immigration call her make sure she doesn't mention your intention to work.

9 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

So you recommend I get a tourist visa in my own country before I come? This is what i did last time - but my flight information I gave them was a 90 day round trip bangkok back to US. If in my visa application at the DC embassy I give them 2 tickets for my flight information: 1 round trip to bangkok, and 1 ticket out of bangkok to Saigon, they'd approve my visa? Could my ticket to saigon be a roundtrip or you recommend I do a one way? And for the saigon ticket, could the ticket going to saigon be 90 days after I arrive in thailand, or would it have to be 60 days or less?

You don't need to supply a round-trip ticket. An onward flight to anywhere would be accepted. Anytime within 90 days should be accepted.

48 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You don't need to supply a round-trip ticket. An onward flight to anywhere would be accepted. Anytime within 90 days should be accepted.

i'd prefer a 1-2 day round trip, just for the border run, as roundtrip tickets are cheaper and i only wanna go to vietnam for a border run. but i mean, it would look obvious that the onward ticket is solely for border running, im not sure if they care or not. i've never done a border run before but i know you go to the office and give them your passport, and you pick it up the next day, so if i did a roundtrip ticket, should i do a 2 day roundtrip, or would 1 day be enough to get my visa and make it to the airport ?

6 hours ago, NightSky said:

Buy a 5 year Elite Visa or consider marriage and then a marriage visa. Elite Visa would probably be much cheaper in the long run.

Thailand have raised the bar with regards to back to back tourist visas recently I wouldn't want to chance tourist visas for long stay,

the elite is overpriced, do you think i'd be safe border running 3 times without being denied entry? i have friends that live in thailand a long time on tourist visas. also, if you get denied entry somewhere, you can try a different border and be successful right?

13 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

the elite is overpriced, do you think i'd be safe border running 3 times without being denied entry? i have friends that live in thailand a long time on tourist visas. also, if you get denied entry somewhere, you can try a different border and be successful right?

Not when they deport you. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, randymarsh said:

I think that would have been a good plan 3 years ago or more, but recent crack downs in immigration suggest that he'll get caught up by immigration. If he's lucky he might get the first border run, but probably not the second.

My suggestion is that he signs up for an ED Visa for the year and uses the time to find suitable employment. The obvious route is the teaching English one and that will require the TEFL or similar qualification. I'm not sure how easy it is for a new degree holder to find professional employment in Thailand ... without some unique skill set I think that will be tough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

The embassy/consulate don’t care. They are only interested in selling you a visa. All they are interested in is that you provide the minimum requirements.

It won’t make any difference if you stay out 1 or 2 days between visa entries. It will be clear to the IO that you are a “visa runner” staying long term as a tourist. Whether or not they let you in depends on the individual IO on the day. Many people still get away with it that have been doing it months/years, while others get denied after a couple of entries.

As I said, your age will go against you. The longer you stay as a tourist the more suspicious that you are working illegally to fund your stay.

Right so tourist visas and visa exemptions are hard to stay in thailand long-term? Any other visas that are hard to stay in thailand long term on? O-visa based on marriage, B working visa, and ED visa, etc?

24 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

Right so tourist visas and visa exemptions are hard to stay in thailand long-term? Any other visas that are hard to stay in thailand long term on? O-visa based on marriage, B working visa, and ED visa, etc?

OP< if you're studying for a degree, you might be able to get a provisional teacher's license that's good for two year.

Best option would be to get in touch with Khurusapha ( Teacher's Council of Thailand/.Bangkok) and send them an email what your chances are.

If you're planning on teaching English, many schools and agencies hire people without degrees, change the title from teacher to "teacher's assistant" or similar and you bypass the TCT. 

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

A Multi Entry Tourist Visa would be the best option if you can meet the criteria.

Failing that, you should get a Single Entry Tourist Visa that will give you 60 days on entry and can be extended by 30 days once in the country. You should be able to get two further SETV's from countries local to Thailand. It is best to re-enter by land.

You will always stand the chance of being questioned or denied entry when you enter, especially given your age. I suggest you carry a letter from your girlfriend confirming the reason for your long stay is to visit her. Have a copy of her ID too; signed and including her phone number. If immigration call her make sure she doesn't mention your intention to work.

I would have gone along with all you say but things they are a changing visa wise . 

Four days ago a UK friend of mine arrived at Suvarnabhumi without a visa for a 3 week stay bwo 30 day visa exemption . He is a regular in / out of Thailand for many years which shows in his p/p and normally has a 60 day tourist visa . He was taken away for questioning by 2 IOs . One question he was asked is why are you visiting Thailand to which he replied , to see my partner . IO said that does not qualify for a tourist visa and you must get a non O visa .  He was allowed in for the final time , on voa and / or tourist visa , by the skin of his teeth .           I spoke to an visa agent  yesterday who told me Thai IO are clamping down big time on the tourist visa as it is being used for non tourist activities . A tourist visa can easily be acquired but does not me rightful entry into Thailand . Down to the discretion of the Thai IOs .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

OP< if you're studying for a degree, you might be able to get a provisional teacher's license that's good for two year.

Best option would be to get in touch with Khurusapha ( Teacher's Council of Thailand/.Bangkok) and send them an email what your chances are.

If you're planning on teaching English, many schools and agencies hire people without degrees, change the title from teacher to "teacher's assistant" or similar and you bypass the TCT. 

I hear teaching without a degree is illegal, i'd rather just wait my year to finish uni, the pay is probably less in that case too i bet. What about non-o visas multi entry based on marriage, do you risk getting denied entry on border runs, like you say their is risk with tourist visas?

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes.

To stay long term you need a long term visa or stay permit. That requires a Privilege Entry Visa from Thailand Elite or a Non-Immigrant Visa to visit family, retire, work, study etc. 

Staying long term using an Non-Imm ED visa is getting harder. Immigration are aware that people use this visa as a way to stay in the country and have been clamping down on this practice for years. It's a good option if you genuinely want to study and attend lessons, but expensive if you need to pay off schools/immigration to bypass the rules.

Otherwise there is no problem staying long term for people that can meet the requirements for long stay visas/stay permits.

So no issues staying long term if I am married and use multi entry non-o visa from savanhket?

2 hours ago, superal said:

I would have gone along with all you say but things they are a changing visa wise . 

Four days ago a UK friend of mine arrived at Suvarnabhumi without a visa for a 3 week stay bwo 30 day visa exemption . He is a regular in / out of Thailand for many years which shows in his p/p and normally has a 60 day tourist visa . He was taken away for questioning by 2 IOs . One question he was asked is why are you visiting Thailand to which he replied , to see my partner . IO said that does not qualify for a tourist visa and you must get a non O visa .  He was allowed in for the final time , on voa and / or tourist visa , by the skin of his teeth .           I spoke to an visa agent  yesterday who told me Thai IO are clamping down big time on the tourist visa as it is being used for non tourist activities . A tourist visa can easily be acquired but does not me rightful entry into Thailand . Down to the discretion of the Thai IOs .

I wasn't suggesting that a letter form a girlfriend guarantees entry or changes an IO's mind. But it demonstrates a reason to enter frequently that's other than work. Work being the underlying concern in the case of the OP.

Some people have been successfully entered after the IO has called the girlfriend/partner/wife, so it's worth giving that a go it you're stopped by immigration. I am aware that people are denied regardless, but all the time some get through it will remain my advice.

1 hour ago, noodleslayer said:

So no issues staying long term if I am married and use multi entry non-o visa from savanhket?

It's not a long term (stay) visa. It's meant for people living outside the country that want to enter multiple times during a year, but people still get away with using it to stay in the country without any issues. The only border that I know that are actively stopping visa runs using this visa is the Aranya/Poipet crossing to Cambodia.