US truck driver Pim becomes an Internet sensation

webfact

8 hours ago, DLock said:

Most posters are happy she made a success of herself.

But you miss the point, or as a Thai apologist, choose to.

Thailand can never provide the same opportunities granted by most western countries. They are xenophobic, scared and protectionist of foreigners gaining any foothold or taking any jobs or money from Thais.

Nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious, unless you prefer to just ignore it like a proper Thai.

Your call.

You knew the rules when you moved here you could not own land, certain jobs were off limits, and blah blah. But you came knowing full well the rules but you came anyway. Go home or stop complaining geez you guys are like broken records. If you need a job that bad why are you here

I take my hat off to the young lady. I cannot imagine how her life must be so different living and working in the US from 20 years old. It must have been quite a learning experience for her. How she got there and her actual income is of little interest to me. I wish her all the best.

To the posters alluding she is a <deleted> - I feel so sad for you. It shows your p!ss poor attitude to Thai people and women generally.

She's driving a delivery truck not an interstate big rig.

Lets face it  - the highlight of a lot of posters life has been being able to live long enough to get a pension and then live in Thailand as they couldn't survive elsewhere. Some won't be able to survive in Thailand in the near future either.

As I said I take my hat off to her for getting off her bum and having a go.

Google Iggy Azalea, another young woman who had the guts and a desire to have a go and has done wonderfully well.  Left Oz to go to LA alone when she was 16 years old.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, JaiLai said:

She's a truck driver, she has not invented a cure for cancer...

Or television or radar or the microwave oven or the double-hulled super tanker and hundreds of other ridiculous things that the Thai bashers frequently touts as proof that Thai people are incapable of anything just because they haven't invented anything.

Thanks for the affirmation.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Or television or radar or the microwave oven or the double-hulled super tanker and hundreds of other ridiculous things that the Thai bashers frequently touts as proof that Thai people are incapable of anything just because they haven't invented anything.

Thanks for the affirmation.

i lived in a shoe when i was a boy, now i'm loaded ( no fans tho )

note - i'm not a truck driver tho....

• Sad 1

Well I looked into this. The story seems to be all screwed up. She did want to be a policewoman but never went to the interview. She studied at Maha Sarakham university and did the Work and Travel program to the US.

Source of my info:

https://mgronline.com/live/detail/9620000098365?fbclid=IwAR09aEzLF6-HBTgsrXgH3j9Kuy0K2Tg5ZsdezI9lA5Se3WfSaYiGYkQW8P8

Another vid of her being interviewed. She hasn't been driving that long in the US or at least it doesn't seem like she's posting videos to her youtube. This youtube account is someone else's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Ah80weHKg

Edited by TooBigToFit

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

She's driving a delivery truck not an interstate big rig.

No, actually she is driving an interstate big rig. She has posted pictures of the sleeper cabin in the back on her facebook page, and she says she has visited all 48 states in the continental USA.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

Well I looked into this. The story seems to be all screwed up. She did want to be a policewoman but never went to the interview. She studied at Maha Sarakham university and did the Work and Travel program to the US for university students and seems to just have stayed on in the US. She makes around 100,000 baht a month driving. If I am wrong about any of this please let me know.

Source of my info:

https://mgronline.com/live/detail/9620000098365?fbclid=IwAR09aEzLF6-HBTgsrXgH3j9Kuy0K2Tg5ZsdezI9lA5Se3WfSaYiGYkQW8P8

Another vid of her being interviewed. She hasn't been driving that long in the US or at least it doesn't seem like she's posting videos to her youtube. This youtube account is someone else's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Ah80weHKg

That article says she makes around 50,000 - 60,000 baht per week driving after all expenses such as fuel and truck payments and splitting with her partner, which is consistent with what she has reported elsewhere. Namely she can earn around $8000 USD per month when she works hard.

Not a glamorous life in the US, but a good one and I think most Thais consider that kind of money a significant amount.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Once again, I'm not talking ever month ...

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Owner-Operator-Driver-Salaries

good link.
the article is mentioning "making more than Bt1 million a month" what supports your idea
that this is about revenue of an owner operator.
Salaries, obviously, much more modest as demonstrated in the link.

(and I, apparently, should have read all posts, see #134 above )

Edited by KKr

That sounds right Monomial.

" When buying a car for yourself in 1 week without fully deducting the fuel cost, which is $ 6-7 thousand a week, equivalent to 200,000 Thai baht per week. This is our income. But if the fuel is deducted, it will fall to about a hundred thousand to two hundred a week But we have to come in half because we drive 2 people, so there will be fifty thousand to six thousand a week per person One month is about two hundred thousand. Meaning it's just like a driver company But a bit more Is here, as you know, a lot of taxes Num Pim paid tax of approximately 15,000 baht per week that was taxed.

The truck that I paid is not including tax, about $ 170,000 in Thai money, about 5-6 million in installments, $ 2,700 per month. If Americans can pay in 2 houses, it is very much. I choose to pay for 3 years because the car after 5 It's already a year.

When I was a waitress, I worked and collected $ 1,500 per month. But when I drove a truck to the bank for $ 4 thousand a month without use, there was a lot of difference. After deducting expenses, we have more money to save than doing other things.
"

Google translate..

• Confused 1

There are tens of thousands of Work and Travel university students who go for the summer in the US. I wonder how many just stay on. I know that my students who did it met others from around the world working there. They stay together in 10 people to a house when they go for the summer. Some of them are lifeguards even though they know nothing about lifeguarding and aren't great swimmers. I bet in the coming years we will hear more of these university students who came with these programs and found a niche to do well in.

I wish I knew more about the option out there when I was a kid. I think a lot of the opportunity a kid has revolves around what he sees growing up. Most kids in Esarn don't know how many odd jobs there are in the giant corporations or how much money a person working abroad can make doing stuff they can learn like welding or driving trucks. Even in the US the kids don't know what jobs can really pay well. I wonder why there is so little direction given by the schools and government to help kids and others looking for work connect to these opportunities?

Edited by TooBigToFit
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Monomial said:

No, actually she is driving an interstate big rig. She has posted pictures of the sleeper cabin in the back on her facebook page, and she says she has visited all 48 states in the continental USA.

I defer to your more in depth knowledge. The OP stated that she was a delivery driver. Either way, good for her for getting out, doing something and hopefully having a great, varied, and interesting life.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

“I have been living in the US for 5 years now and speak English every day, but I haven’t forgotten my native tongue and I try to use it as often as possible,” she said.

I can't possibly comment !

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Aside from obvious salary misprint, think about all the bar girls reading about her and wishing to meet a US truck driver.....oh dahling you truck driver?? 

And about a french truck driver ? :whistling:

euro is stronger than US dollar :cheesy: ...

Edited by Assurancetourix

23 hours ago, DLock said:

I'm pretty sure she is making more than USD$1,000 per month.

It may not be USD$33,000, but long haul truck drivers do ok, so I would not be surprised if she was pulling decent money.

...and good on her. I hope she is.

Interstate drivers can easilly do 3k USD or more per month.

I do enjoy watching the Thai Visa Old Crusty brigade get triggered by a young, attractive girl making more money in a month than they can hold in a bank account to maintain their O-Visa.

She is far more successful that you. Get over it.

21 hours ago, DLock said:

5-pages on a 6-page thread dedicated to disputing money of a young Thai girl truck driver made good.

Priceless.

And complaining that they do not have the same opportunities in Thailand, as if any of them would like to be a truck driver on Thai wages. 

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

And complaining that they do not have the same opportunities in Thailand, as if any of them would like to be a truck driver on Thai wages. 

Happy for the girl and cheer her on in the Land of the Free.

If you don't laugh at the inequality of the situation, then that says ore about you Kid.

20 hours ago, poohy said:

Good for her!

Shame it could never happen here for a non thai

But poor reporting much more like 1 million THB a year

Why not? Came here when I was 19 and been making a decent wage since then. Nowhere near Baht 1m though.