Is water from pipes safe for brushing teeth?

parafareno

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, moontang said:

Surely, you can find a beer manufacturer's website.... Tiger says serve at 36F...it doesn't say store at room temp in the tropics and put in frig set on 7c..and add ice. 

This is Thailand, Thai folk do what they want with beer, Brandy or anything else, exactly the same as I do. Not for you or me to call folk idiots because they do something different to you...

And, as it happens, I am at this moment drinking a Tiger beer with ice in it, I prefer the watered down taste.

Now if you handed me a pint of Woodfords Wherry, there would not be ice in sight, however hot it was..????.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

This is Thailand, Thai folk do what they want with beer, Brandy or anything else, exactly the same as I do. Not for you or me to call folk idiots because they do something different to you...

And, as it happens, I am at this moment drinking a Tiger beer with ice in it, I prefer the watered down taste.

Now if you handed me a pint of Woodfords Wherry, there would not be ice in sight, however hot it was..????.

My evening ritual often is to sit outside with several bottles of Leo and will always put ice in the glass.

Nothing more refreshing than beer with ice! As long as you do  not leave your beer sitting there for too long it does not spoil the taste.

I do not know 1 Thai person be it a man or a woman that drinks beer without putting ice in it.

It is 100% a Thai thing and at first being from the UK would never put ice in my beer,however I soon realised that warm lager is not as nice as ice cold beer!

I remember a year or two ago a Welsh bloke saying to me - real men do not put ice in their beer -

To which I replied only real men put ice in their beer 555.

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Kind of like female circumcision... just because they do it, doesn't make it right or even acceptable.  Or the way they drive/ride.. Per capita gdp is 15 times higher, where I was raised, seems like the money hungry Thais could learn a thing or two from me, as opposed to learning how to <deleted> in the streets from the Chinese.

29 minutes ago, moontang said:

And you are an (snip)if you drink wine, here, period. Ice in beer is done by Thais led astray by EuroTrash, who don't hold the Thais accountable for lack of education and inability to properly use electricity and refrigeration.  Show me one manufacturer that suggests putting ice in it. 

A bizarre post.

Agree about wine, at least with Thailand prices. EuroTrash, as you put it (I wonder where you are from) nor anyone else from Europe ever, ever puts ice in beer. Some adopt the distasteful habit from Thais (not the other way around) when they get here and the beer warms up quickly in the tropical weather. And most shops and bars that I've been in, if not all, have discovered the wonders of electricity and refrigeration.

1 minute ago, moontang said:

Kind of like female circumcision... just because they do it, doesn't make it right or even acceptable.  Or the way they drive/ride.. Per capita gdp is 15 times higher, where I was raised, seems like the money hungry Thais could learn a thing or two from me, as opposed to learning how to <deleted> in the streets from the Chinese.

I think you maybe crackers....????

1 minute ago, transam said:
4 minutes ago, moontang said:

I think you maybe crackers....????

I agree. Either that, or a troll. Certainly not rational.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A bizarre post.

Agree about wine, at least with Thailand prices. EuroTrash, as you put it (I wonder where you are from) nor anyone else from Europe ever, ever puts ice in beer. Some adopt the distasteful habit from Thais (not the other way around) when they get here and the beer warms up quickly in the tropical weather. And most shops and bars that I've been in, if not all, have discovered the wonders of electricity and refrigeration.

I chill my beers in the freezer but still add ice to the glass. I do it because I like it. Why is it distasteful ?

Is seems like the sort of thing a real ale drinker would say back in the UK. You know the sort who think they are a better class of person because the do not drink that fizzy lager 55

11 minutes ago, moontang said:
22 minutes ago, transam said:

"female circumcision" isn't all it's cracked up to be.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A bizarre post.

in hawaii a fair % of locals routinely put ice in beer.

42 minutes ago, atyclb said:

avoid reverse osmosis because it removes trace minerals that make coffee/tea taste good.

For some of us not having those minerals makes the coffee taste a whole lot better - don't drink tea.

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

avoid reverse osmosis because it removes trace minerals that make coffee/tea taste good.

For some of us not having those minerals makes the coffee taste a whole lot better - don't drink tea.

http://grindscience.com/2016/03/dissolved-minerals-in-water-and-their-effect-on-coffee/

The Specialty Coffee Association of America has set certain standards of water quality related to its use for coffee. Such measurements as sodium content, alkalinity, pH factor and calcium hardness are delineated and standardized, creating a “quality bar” of sorts that intends to preserve the integrity of specialty coffee.

https://www.ronnoco.com/blogs/news/the-importance-of-water-in-your-coffee

possibly too much of trace minerals or too little can have detrimental effect but so does removing them completely

23 hours ago, Tayaout said:

My Thai wife won't use this water for cooking. I wash my toothbrush with it but use mouthwash to rinse my mouth. 

My wife will not use tap water for anything to do with food, even rinsing rice.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

n.o. no.

bottled water with ice of unknown origin, salads with lettuce, and not so clean eating utensils always a gamble.

Tell this guy paraforeno there's no such thing as "filtered" water in Thailand in stores or at restaurants.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Surely, you can find a beer manufacturer's website.... Tiger says serve at 36F...it doesn't say store at room temp in the tropics and put in frig set on 7c..and add ice. 

Fyi, ice in beer comes from Australia,not from Europe. Understand? Get your facts straight, please.

41 minutes ago, atyclb said:

theoretically could make a similar argument for using tap water shower.  water splashes in eyes or in mouth or bacteria in water causes impetigo

You do know that the (even double sometimes) reversed osmosis purification method + UV treatment is used by every water company in Thailand, and there's nothing in the water after that. If you want to avoid water treated like that, your only option is to buy mineral water in the stores,but it's much more expensive. 

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Tell this guy paraforeno there's no such thing as "filtered" water in Thailand in stores or at restaurants.

Fyi, ice in beer comes from Australia,not from Europe. Understand? Get your facts straight, please.

And at outback temps of 50c probably makes sense.  

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And at outback temps of 50c probably makes sense.  

Temps of 50c in Cali, AZ, NV and Mexico.... no ice in beer. A Cuban friend is a bartender in somewhat cooler Las Vegas, Wyn Encore, never ice in beer.  Australian?  Yep, prison culture.. Next. 

On 11/7/2019 at 3:27 PM, TooPoopedToPop said:

Always use bottled water for brushing your teeth.

And beware the ubiquitous bum-guns... germs and microbes can enter your body through your rectum just as easily as through your mouth.

You don't have to stick the bum gun In you're bum, just rinse IT anyway there's enough <deleted> in there to hold back a couple bugs.    ????

In Thailand I have never seen any backflow preventers on any property connections from a "mains" supply. This means that if the water is turned off and the supply pipe empties, it can syphon water from hoses left lying in very unsanitary areas, back into the mains pipes only to be supplied to all users when the water is turned on again. Another reason I will not drink tapwater here.

13 minutes ago, KIWILEE said:

In Thailand I have never seen any backflow preventers on any property connections from a "mains" supply. This means that if the water is turned off and the supply pipe empties, it can syphon water from hoses left lying in very unsanitary areas, back into the mains pipes only to be supplied to all users when the water is turned on again. Another reason I will not drink tapwater here.

It doesn't matter what system a property/condominium hotel uses,the water isn't for drinking. Even thai people never ever drinks it. But it's totally ok to brush your teeth with and gurgle after. Many thai rinses veggies and fruit without hesitation, and I'm still alive and kicking and having a perfectly functional stomach. 

2 hours ago, mlkik said:

I chill my beers in the freezer but still add ice to the glass. I do it because I like it. Why is it distasteful ?

Is seems like the sort of thing a real ale drinker would say back in the UK. You know the sort who think they are a better class of person because the do not drink that fizzy lager 55

I hope you drink it fast enough so that the ice doesn't melt and dilute the taste. As for being 'the sort who think they are a better class of person' etc, you're wrong. Sorry. Way off the mark.

Think about this - where they brew proper beer, countries like Germany, Belgium, Czech Republic, the UK, in my experience no-one in those countries would dream of adding ice to the beer. In Thailand, a country that produces awful beer and where the preferred drink of many is whisky, they do. Draw your own conclusions from that.

I also, rarely, add a cube or two if the beer isn't cold enough, but that isn't often as I keep my rather fine beer glass - of a German brewery - in the fridge so the beer remains cold for a little longer. I do it with Thai beer, but wouldn't dream of doing it with decent beer that often has been drunk without the need for ice for hundred of years.

I'went up where  are the water-tanks and where no one goes apart Thai employees who works for the company that deals with the well and the pumps

then I show the pictures I made to the owner...

...she asked to empty and clean the tanks but really reluctantly

we are sill alive...with now a first class immune system... at least I hope so, it is our seventh year in this house????

chateau d'eau.jpeg

remplissage.jpeg

IMG_4182.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I hope you drink it fast enough so that the ice doesn't melt and dilute the taste. As for being 'the sort who think they are a better class of person' etc, you're wrong. Sorry. Way off the mark.

Think about this - where they brew proper beer, countries like Germany, Belgium, Czech Republic, the UK, in my experience no-one in those countries would dream of adding ice to the beer. In Thailand, a country that produces awful beer and where the preferred drink of many is whisky, they do. Draw your own conclusions from that.

I also, rarely, add a cube or two if the beer isn't cold enough, but that isn't often as I keep my rather fine beer glass - of a German brewery - in the fridge so the beer remains cold for a little longer. I do it with Thai beer, but wouldn't dream of doing it with decent beer that often has been drunk without the need for ice for hundred of years.

No one forces you to drink Thai beer,but imo an english luke warm beer tastes awful, not every thai beer. Fyi, thai people put ice in the beer to make it taste better because they're actually not beer drinkers to start with and they think beer tastes bitter, especially woman. The reason they prefer thai whiskey/rum is the price. You get more for the money,and that's not something everyone has a lot of. 

10 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I'went up where  are the water-tanks and where no one goes apart Thai employees who works for the company that deals with the well and the pumps

then I show the pictures I made to the owner...

...she asked to empty and clean the tanks but really reluctantly

we are sill alive...with now a first class immune system... at least I hope so, it is our seventh year in this house????

chateau d'eau.jpeg

remplissage.jpeg

IMG_4182.jpeg

With a purification tablet or two from the US Army that water will taste real nice. ????

Archived