SURVEY: CCTV, does it make us better or worse?

Scott

SURVEY: CCTV, does it make us better or worse?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Caveat to "It doesn't cut down on crime, but it makes catching criminals easier"

But in Thailand only when the CCTV was actually working, the data not mysteriously corrupted or erased, or data incapable of being read because of different incompatible readers used by different authorities. 

Same as the cctv in the service/petrol station that didn't work the day the Pentagon was crashed into by a plane, cruise missile or whatever consiparcy theory of your choice

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

It kind of a silly question

Actually I think it's a valid question, which is why there have been numerous studies on it.

http://library.college.police.uk/docs/what-works/What-works-briefing-effects-of-CCTV-2013.pdf

https://aic.gov.au/publications/rip/rip08/effectiveness-public-space-cctv-systems

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1745-9133.12419

etc.

Of more value, IMO, would be a study looking at the cost of CCTV v more cops on the beat and how that would impact prevention rather than catching perps after a crime has been committed. 

• Like 1

It sounds good but my experience is that it just takes away another of our freedoms. Cameras need films or something to record events on, they need to be kept operational and at crucial times this does not seem to happen which is very convenient for some. I used to think they were a good idea but not anymore, with these, sims and gps someone is always watching you, brother.

11 hours ago, CGW said:

Point taken! how about replacing "infancy" with cheap and affordable?

Computers have been around since 1946? but they have only become "affordable" in the past twenty years or so. Relevant to the development they are still in their infancy even now as I see it.

The biggest thing with CCTV is being able to use the information, software has only been available in recent years that make mass surveillance possible though no doubt the military have had advanced systems for many years, which goes part way to explaining the huge costs that the military industrial complex incurs year on year.

Have to wonder what they are working on now that will help them control and herd the masses? :wink:

I'm sure if we knew what was being planned for us? most of us would indeed be "shocked" :shock1:

You are correct CGW by clarifying, "with cheap and affordable" as opposed to "infancy".

I was involved in CCTV sales and installation in the early seventies when a black and white camera was the size of a shoe box and cost a relative fortune. Same for recording devices which came a few years later and was tape based, one hour maximum recording time.

However, even then, with comparative low resolution and cumbersome recording, the equipment was a valuable assist in various crime situations.

I saw a funny (so to speak) video recently where a mother with child stole all the Halloween candy from the porch of one house, all recorded using "video doorbell" connected to a DVR device.