Thailand saying "NO!" to plastic bags: End in sight as January 1st "D-Day" looms

webfact

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, but the most desireable option would be the much loved papaya. Get a greater feeling with "The rippled Malaco"

papaya got a brand new bag!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, but the most desireable option would be the much loved papaya. Get a greater feeling with "The rippled Malaco"

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, marcusb said:

This is what gets me.  I am always on my motorbike, so I always have my backpack on. I haven't used store bags for a couple years. When I empty my backpack out at home I am dismayed by all the plastic on the table. 

Plastic bags are a start but we need to get the manufacturers cutting out the packaging or using plastic alternatives. 

Alternatives like?

Paper? 

Will cutting out more trees really save the environment?

Banana leafs?

Doesn't seem to be practical, not to mention they are so water hungry plants

Leather wrap?

Animals some part of the world has human rights lately

Textile wrap?

And who is going to pick the cotton?

Joke aside, 

Sure, save the world.

Stores and markets cut easily cut 20-30% current use just not put 2 bottle drinks in double bag, or don't put a bag of food into another bigger bag, etc.

Alternative, get deeper in research of real recycling. Cos even the supposed, selectively collected recyclables aren't, best case scenario that about 80% of those still end up in landfills....

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, robblok said:

You can get real small bags from nylon

is nylon bio degradable ?

I thought it was synthetic and just as bad as plastic, but I get the point it is reusable

It is going to become very smelly in Thailand without plastic bags for rubbish 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

How about those kids in Isarn that like to use 7-Eleven bags instead of condoms?

You mean those who hit target in seven out of eleven tries ?

They should get educated.

They called January 1st 2020 "D-Day" in their headline - then didn't tell the public what those three kinds of plastic actually are.

But they said that four more kinds - also not specified - would also be banned from 2022

WHAT KIND OF PLASTIC WILL BE BANNED?........Sorry we cant tell you its a secret.......

Folks if this does not get you questioning the ban nothing will....

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

So starting then ... we will all become proverbial "bag ladies".

Good for the environment will just have to remember to tote some carry all bags all the time.

Does not need to -- the west has implemented it badly.  What is needed is reusable bags that you buy/pay deposit on, but can return for a refund...  all the bags are uniform.   No more plastic bags, but also a level of convenience.

• Like 2

Don’t you wander why they've used a westerner’s photo instead of a thai person to highlight their downfalls and misinformation they give to their own people ? ????

Thai people love plastics ( plastic faces, noses and the rest of it but that’s another story ) They can’t live without plastic bags, they accept/take a bag for each item they buy whether from 7/11 Tesco and many other places out there ! They simply don’t care, don’t listen until they will be eating plastic fish or whatever else they eat  ! 

Fyi if you haven’t noticed, the plastic bags given out are clearly marked both in Thai and English language with regard to recycling and saving the world, whatever is left of it.

When I point it out to them, I often get that dumb look with a smile whilst continuing to give tons of bags to the next customer ☹️

Ps; Tons and Tons of plastic items of all sorts whether  is electronic waste or else is sent throughout south east Asia because they’ve got less regulations and that says it all !!!

????????‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1