Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

In Thailand you can normally turn left  at a red traffic light as long as its safe to do so  and there is no sign or left turn light forbidding turning.

ohh and Zebra crossings ( in American accent, viewer discretion is advised !! )

23 minutes ago, DLock said:

You should probably focus more on English.

What does this even mean...beside irony?

Use you initiative! 

It's  amazing how many dont know, even language teachers.

Nothing wrong with my English, I taught it for  25 years. Let's  just say I've big thumbs and a little phone.

Also, if I met a language teacher, or anyone who showed no language competence after 10 years inthe UK who didn't know the month in English, I'd have the same feeling as the ones here.

I've a good friend who doesnt even know how to order a beer politely, something he does 4 times a week, after 17 years here as a manager!

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, paulbrow said:

This has been an education, wading through all these pages, but at the end of the day, the Thai Road Traffic Act clearly puts the responsibility of crossing the road safely on to the pedestrian. Vehicles are not required to stop for pedestrians, however, they also cannot hit them with the front of their vehicle. I always mistakenly assumed that that the common law around the world applied, i.e. that the vehicle must stop for a pedestrian in a appropriately marked section of road designated for pedestrians to cross the road, applied here. but it doesn't...

If that is the case, then why is there a specific penalty for not stopping at a pedestrian crossing:

According to Thai law, drivers are liable to a maximum fine of Bt1,000 if they fail to stop their vehicles for pedestrians at marked crossings. In the events of a road accident taking place, drivers involved must compensate victims or their families. In the case of death, reckless drivers are liable to up to 10 years in jail and a fine of up to Bt20,000. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fhickson said:

i hope those bumps are to specs. if someone were to fall or crash...

Someone already did crash on a motorcycle by not looking. Police came out. Looked at 'em and said they were easily visible and that anyone who fell over was obviously driving too fast.

There are no "specs" in Thailand. Or rather, there probably are but they are routinely ignored. It is whatever the police think is reasonable.

16 hours ago, BradinAsia said:

So many farangs (especially on this forum) hold onto the ludicrous assumption that when they visit an Asian country, the customs and rules and laws should match those of their own home country. And when these don't match they get a severe case of apoplexy and proclaim that Thais are not very intelligent, and that they lack many of the requisite values to be considered real humans. I would remind these folks, that a number of Asian societies were making advances in mathematics and astronomy and were developing ingenious inventions when most of Europe still had no writing system, were still living in squalor and engaging in endless tribal warfare. Some folks are not aware that several Asian societies had highly organized civil service examination systems a thousand years before Europeans even had books.

The first time I visited an Asian country in 1960, I had the eerie feeling that I had travelled back 2,000 yrs in a time-machine. It was extremely fascinating. If folks visit Thailand and get upset bcoz most Thais don't speak much English and eat foods that folks back home would never eat... hey, what the holey moley did they even come here for? If these folks are so self-centered that they want an exotic, ancient Asian kingdom to somehow play by all the same rules as home, they'd surely be much more contents if they didn't do something so brash as to visit an exotic, ancient Asian kingdom. They'd surely be better off if they just stayed home and avoided adventures in exotic lands.

All the years I lived in Thailand, I found it an amazing place. And if you want to talk about weird food -- in Thailand I never saw anybody eats coagulated blood sandwiches. 

The guy who sat down in the crosswalk and threw a hissie fit is a superb example of narrow-minded falangs who would be much better off to stay home. The U.S. has 50 states, each of them are much like different countries, they all make their own laws. If you travel state to state you can have lots of problems if you can't accept the fact that different places have different laws. How much more one should expect if visiting an exotic Asian country.

Just some thoughts...

I mostly agree with you. When I first came to Thailand it was another world but now it has become like Spain. I was a backpacker then and we'll able to look after myself in that rough and ready environment. We have to face the fact that Thailand is developing but important things like safety and law enforcement are lagging behind. This case highlights just how bad they are.

Zebra crossings don't give pedestrians the right of way. If they did Bangkok would grind to a halt (when it does get to move). They are there to indicate where pedestrians should cross when safe to. They are usually at junctions with traffic lights so should actually be pelican crossings (no stripes, just lights). Zebra crossings should be safe places for pedestrians to cross quieter roads away from other distractions (traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts etc). The US developed over time and we can't expect Thailand to stay stuck in the past just for our pleasure. Thais should have a safe environment to live in like we do. I now have a young son and don't want him to end up as yet another road kill. So anyone who helps Thais wise up to where things can be improved should have our respect. It is a hard task and needs unconventional methods to get anywhere but every little step in the right direction helps.

Back to your post - I could just as easily say "If you don't want to be in a modern safe Thailand then you should move to somewhere like Africa or parts of the middle east". After visiting family in Thailand I intend to go to Vietnam or the Philippines - they may also be unsafe but at least they are still fun.

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Can you say where in the Thai Highway Code it says to 'give way to pedestrians'?

I've searched through the 2522 (1979) unofficial translation, searching for 'pedestrian crossing', but so far can only find about references to either prohibitions regarding parking near them, or pedestrians crossing at traffic lights. What I can't see is anything in that version defining rights for pedestrians at a crossing I can only see this (perhaps there's a newer version that does regulate it?):

I have not found that specific phrasing either. However it is quite clear in the code that you are not allowed to overtake another car within 30 meters of a 'pedestrian crossing' (or for the pedantic, zebra crossing or crosswalk). Every accident I have ever seen that happens is either because the Thai driver broke this rule, or because someone was following way too close and was unable to brake when the car in front of him stopped for pedestrians.

Both of these are clearly illegal. So I would make the argument that a specific law giving right of way is mostly irrelevant. Once you are in the road, and any car has stopped or slowed, every car is required to stop or slow.  I think people can use common sense about when it is safe to cross if they knew every driver was going to obey these rules.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

If that is the case, then why is there a specific penalty for not stopping at a pedestrian crossing:

I assume, if the traffic lights are red you have to stop. This is when pedestrians can cross. How this works if the lights are on green and a pedestrian who should have waited gets run over, I don't know. The road traffic act doesn't mention pedestrian crossings that aren't controlled by lights.

The simple fact of the matter is if you want to cross the road and want to arrive on the other side in one piece, it's your own responsibility unless you're gaga and then the responsibility is your carer's. Don't assume anything, watch and walk when you feel it's safe and don't stop watching until you're safely in the bar.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:38 AM, POMRAKSIAM said:

What did this guy accom0lish? I understand and believe what everyone is talking about, but he is not going to be asked to speak on a morning talk show, no one is going to take up and start protesting- most Thais never get any formal training, or license and acting like a spoiled kid from the West will not change a thing, especially  doesn't help those of us that love living here despite the dangers of daily life. Get up brush your off your knees and move on...

It happens everywhere

Usually someone will come on here and say 'Their country, their rules!, if you don't like it, go home'. Except here, the foreigner WAS following the rules.

BTW, I guess the thai woman gets to stay (doesn't get a ticket by police) for not following their own rules.

Edited by meltingpot2015
  • Like 2

Sorry, I haven't had a look at most of the pages in here (as of now, 28 ! Wow !), and so I don't know if another poster has mentioned this, but what annoyed me (okay, not a lot, but just a little anyway, hehe) was that the word 'farang' was used on that TV program. I mean, we have sort of gotten used to hearing that word on the street; but hearing it on TV is a bit annoying. 'Khon tang chaht' ('foreigner') could (and I think should) have been used.

Okay, rant's over ????

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 11:19 AM, Beggar said:

This guy must have a mental disorder. Such people are a shame for other foreigners. I am upset too if someone doesn't stop at a pedestrian crossing. But his behavior is extreme. 

Guess that's why the (female) driving was "seen smiling".

When I first went to Thailand in the 1990's, one warning issued in every publication was that cars did not stop at zebra crossings. If you had to cross at one, you did so with a large group of people. I can find the same advice all over the internet these days, in forums and help sites and travel guides. It is evident then that the fellow sitting on the road has failed to do the most basic research into his travels. Quite possibly we will see more of this chap in the next few weeks.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:00 PM, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

I believe they think they are acceleration zones like seen in video games ????

23 hours ago, Longcut said:

They actually make it more dangerous for Western tourist. Because, they are of the mind that traffic will stop if you are in the crosswalk. (Zebra Crossing).  Which we that live here know not to be true. As another poster put it. What is the point of having them, if no one is going to stop for the pedestrian? 

this is the sort of real world information, that needs to be put into online world Travel Advisory pages - alongside the need to always be aware of etc etc etc (equal to Provincial Unrest warnings and the like)

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 11:19 PM, Beggar said:

I am upset too if someone doesn't stop at a pedestrian crossing. But his behavior is extreme. 

If you read correctly, the vehicle hit him whilst he was using the crossing.  Therefore, how does that make his action 'extreme"?  He could have been waiting to be taken to hospital to make sure he was OK, or taking a few minutes to gather himself after being hit, which is not "extreme" but reasonable.

'nuf sed.

• Like 1

My family are Thai and a survey of the drivers told me none of them understand  Zebra Crossings (Crosswalks to Americans.) Riding in a car with them I notice Thais will not walk in them without waiting for cars to pass and my driver never stops. My attempts to change them have been unsuccessful.

18 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Just curious. Has anyone mentioned that a pedestrian at a crossing has to wait until the traffic has stopped before crossing. That way they won't get knocked down.

yes, I speculated that it may have happened that way, but I was metaphorically  shouted down by the crystal ball users on this post, who know absolutely that it was the drivers fault.  Good job none of them are High Court Judges. 

22 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

yes, I speculated that it may have happened that way, but I was metaphorically  shouted down by the crystal ball users on this post, who know absolutely that it was the drivers fault.  Good job none of them are High Court Judges. 

The "crystal ball users" are speculating just as much as you.

Good job you are not a judge.

If the indignation of the foreigner and the apologetic behaviour of the driver mean something to you, there you got your answer.

• Like 1

Thailand is currently in no.2 due to no 1  being a civil war zone

and double most of the other top tens score.

the report states he was struck/hit on the Zebra crossing.

he had not been seenby any qualified medical personnel

and no one should of tried to move him...… if he wanted to make a point maybe not every  ones way but he got a bit miffed

is no big deal

many things in Thailand are just for show? what is the point of having 

marked pedestrian crossings in every city in Thailand. 

and then inviting thousands of Tourists to Roam said city's without knowing 

that These  crossings are like no other  in the world.

talk about heads up (xxxx) I think some people would take a different head

up their (xxxx's) if they were told they have to accept it... all he did was make a protest.....and if it made all the News around the world so much the

better as it is often the quickest way to get things changed , in todays world. and maybe he will save a few people's lives.

• Haha 1