Superrich Won't Change Old US$100 Bill

A couple of days ago I went to Superich in Nonthaburi and tried to change US$100 bills. I gave them the older ones that look like the new one but without security features https://abcnews.go.com/US/fullpage/meet-100-bill-20508631 … They refused to change it and said no bank in Thailand will change them. So, I gave them new ones that I had and everything proceeded normally. I then went to a regular bank with the old bills expecting to be refused again, but happily got exchanged without any problem. So has anyone else had this problem with old US bills? Old and new pictured below.Usdollar100front.jpg

Obverse_of_the_series_2009_$100_Federal_

Yes had this problem long time ago. Had to shop around several places until the old bills were exchanged. Also they will not take bills that have being damaged, written on, or have stamps on them, 

I learned my lesson and now when ever I come to Thailand I go to the bank and ask for new, undamaged, Hundred dollar bills,I explain to them why and they always comply. Do the same next time you come.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

It is well known fact that couple of rough countries mainly in the far east have reproduced the old bills on a industrial scales and distributed the fake notes far and wide, and that the fake staff were so good that many privately owned and some banks around the world will not take the chance and touch them...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ezzra said:

It is well known fact that couple of rough countries mainly in the far east have reproduced the old bills on a industrial scales and distributed the fake notes far and wide, and that the fake staff were so good that many privately owned and some banks around the world will not take the chance and touch them...

Superdollars I guess?

You are lucky any banks would accept your old bills because there were counterfeit bills circulating around because it is difficult to verify the authenticity of the bills.

I always ask for the new series bills with better security whenever I buy US dollars just in case some US merchants or banks won't accept the old bills. 

Some people think that they can write on the bill, crumple it , missing a small part etc and think it can still have the same value but some people won't accept these types of bills.

Edited by EricTh

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the original post…

I have been to four different banks in two different cities and have had no problem exchanging the old bills. In one bank they checked them under ultraviolet light, the others just did the usual "copy the passport", etc. 

To sum up: ALL legit banks that I visited exchanged my old US$100 bills for thai baht. The old bills I possessed were in good condition: no rips, no tears, fairly fresh and unwrinkled. It seems to be only non-bank exchange companies like SuperRich won't accept them.