Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

34 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The Great Dunny Paper Shortage of 2020 I remember it well.

of course i am really a bum gunner .     just using a bit of artistic license  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

When she prepares the fish she whacks them in the sink and the tiles crack. "Why you not do them outside on the concrete teerak?" "Why you not do for me? Like other farang

Mrs F takes care of all the 'dispatching', don't have the intestinal fortitude for it.

Had a few Lobsters - live one's, the Christmas before last. Had to walk away when I saw the pot of boiling water. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 08-05-2021 - Saturday morning

{snipped}

Bluesofa recommended that I get this box sorted last year when it first began to give problems. Should have done what he suggested: phone the PEA hot-line.

I was going to get to it. Then came a period of normality, and as it's easy to do, forgot about it.

613921037_leccybox07.png.9fc9b902325b341bb1b03d471f8b6533.png

Called the PEA at nine in the morning. "Mrs Owl, tell them the box is hanging off. Then they will come quick." No show six hours later. "Mrs Owl tell them the whole village is going up in flames." At five in the evening the Mrs got the village handy man out. He snipped here and taped there. We soon had the fans going again.

PEA emergency team arrived the following afternoon. They had a good look and left; obviously happy with the repair. But not before telling Mrs Owl what had happened. "What they say teerak?"

"They say electric meters; not to let cat climb."

"OK, teerak, thank them. It must have been that big tom-cat down the road. I'll go tell him."

I know we live just outside the ring road, not far from Udon city. However, when I've reported something the PEA need to come out to check, it's within one, no more than two hours.

There must surely be a PEA depot/centre nearer to you than Udon, but nearly two days to show up seems quite a stretch?

Is Mrs Owl using her best diplomatic approach?

Or perhaps they're in awe of me (or just a ferang troublemaker), as we've had 90 power outages in eight years, and I've had to call them probably 75 times if the power is off for more than half an hour.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, faraday said:

Mrs F takes care of all the 'dispatching', don't have the intestinal fortitude for it.

Had a few Lobsters - live one's, the Christmas before last. Had to walk away when I saw the pot of boiling water. ???? 

I'm with you on this faraday. There is nothing worse than hearing lobsters screaming in pain; before death inevitably arrives. Those big crabs are the same. Can see the fear in their eyes as they are picked up to be put into the pot.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, faraday said:

Makes it sound like a suspense film: In a lobster cooking pot nobody can hear you scream...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I know we live just outside the ring road, not far from Udon city. However, when I've reported something the PEA need to come out to check, it's within one, no more than two hours.

There must surely be a PEA depot/centre nearer to you than Udon, but nearly two days to show up seems quite a stretch?

Is Mrs Owl using her best diplomatic approach?

Or perhaps they're in awe of me (or just a ferang troublemaker), as we've had 90 power outages in eight years, and I've had to call them probably 75 times if the power is off for more than half an hour.

We don't get as many problems as we once did. But of course there was a dog wagon coming around at least once a month then. That always caused problems with the leccy. But not now.

Sometimes I ask Mrs owl to tell someone something and I'm sure she doesn't. It can lead to misunderstandings.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Go on. Why did the dog catcher cause problems with the leccy?

Dogs trying to climb up the poles out of the way?

Half right Bluesofa.

Not actually climbing poles, but upsetting the natural balance of the village. Dogs would run here and there. Cats would scatter and sit on top of the meters. The catchers would charge after the dogs with their nets; half crazed on Lao Khow. The result would be meters falling from the posts.

There is a leccy post near me that has all the meters off the post. The lady 'Nang' told me she reported the fallen meter boxes 4 years ago. I'll take a pic and post it this afternoon.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Half right Bluesofa.

Not actually climbing poles, but upsetting the natural balance of the village. Dogs would run here and there. Cats would scatter and sit on top of the meters. The catchers would charge after the dogs with their nets; half crazed on Lao Khow. The result would be meters falling from the posts.

There is a leccy post near me that has all the meters off the post. The lady 'Nang' told me she reported the fallen meter boxes 4 years ago. I'll take a pic and post it this afternoon.

Your village is full of hi-powered cats then.

I've never been aware of dog catchers near us. There again I'm not aware of much unless it's tech related.

I wait for a photo - especially if there's an electric meter involved.

'The lady 'Nang' told me she reported the fallen meter boxes 4 years ago.'

Proves the meter reader doesn't give a flock about it either. If it's working, don't repair it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 08-05-2021 - Saturday morning

It is so good to be back after my three week break. Appealed the suspension; but I was unsuccessful.

My thanks to Vous, who did the bizzo on my behalf a couple of times. He may have hairy, nubile French fillies on tap, but I've got my little plants. No comparison. Get in there!

552474118_giantavoinpot02.png.6a3680e9ec686c5dca4edc2156fa2191.png

This little beauty was growing so fast that it had to be moved outside. About 425mm high now.

Also the king fruit seeds are doing good. Been hung up in a plastic bag for a month.

981022648_plasticbagplants02.png.541b681eef262848d0b14f8bad8d91a2.png

I don't expect to actually get king fruit for a couple of years, but to see them growing like this is just great.

1422125980_plasticbagplants03.png.62ec1a4bb128a0d65cd52fc307e50a23.png

There were a couple of problems recently. The fire at the leccy box was the first.

Bluesofa recommended that I get this box sorted last year when it first began to give problems. Should have done what he suggested: phone the PEA hot-line.

1621110400_leccybox06.png.53820b89394194d0f885f7f5c9064675.png

I was going to get to it. Then came a period of normality, and as it's easy to do, forgot about it.

613921037_leccybox07.png.9fc9b902325b341bb1b03d471f8b6533.png

Called the PEA at nine in the morning. "Mrs Owl, tell them the box is hanging off. Then they will come quick." No show six hours later. "Mrs Owl tell them the whole village is going up in flames." At five in the evening the Mrs got the village handy man out. He snipped here and taped there. We soon had the fans going again.

824093548_newleccyfix.png.653eadacbb7069d98c139f4d14154edd.png

PEA emergency team arrived the following afternoon. They had a good look and left; obviously happy with the repair. But not before telling Mrs Owl what had happened. "What they say teerak?"

"They say electric meters; not to let cat climb."

"OK, teerak, thank them. It must have been that big tom-cat down the road. I'll go tell him."

We also had a prob' with the water jet in the toilet.

The holder had broken off a moth or so ago. The two screws had sheered off and I couldn't pull them out. I had the idea to stick the holder in place. It held for a while, but inevitably fell off.

2069587614_fixloogun000.png.6157e89495f9390fd9eb8e515f650b09.png

I don't like drilling for nothing, so I cleaned up the old , and installed the new.

68211250_fixloogun06.png.103b6385c953adfafc8ff1ad51355c2b.png

I'm becoming more Thai by the day. Fixed!!

531820295_fixloogun07.png.3ba2c406798a60774d901d1bd2edb7eb.png

We are not doing rice this year, as we came to an arrangement with Chai. He is looking after the 1.75 rai rice field and will split the rice bags; two for him and one for us. That's another job sorted. More time for fishing.

115292152_landreadyforrice01.png.e89d9e81337190869ac149e283b06d42.png

The only thing I'm bothered about with the rice, is the water. This area floods in big rain, and I want the overflow to go into the ponds, not through the pipes under the road. Have to take the cap off first though.

723853435_plasticinpond02.png.d6dd984c2093ca27dc3ff4b2d5862b44.png

Plastic bags get everywhere. Must be the wind.

The bridge on the way to Ban Dung (2022) is nearing completion.

567102056_bridgelatest01.png.b8b6b232e2c3ee1de2a8df90337e0e15.png

295985995_bridgelatest02.png.6a3558833da22b5c20b79276613736d4.png

Is that it? TBH I can't recall more than a trickle in this stream in past years. A couple of big pipes might have done the job. They are definitely preparing for something big. Maybe they want to divert the Mekong (joke).

1272109147_bridgelatest03.png.ddd81763140561eb117b12d96ea0e0a5.png

Did a vid' of part of the farm. A bit jumpy. Number two farm left and number one on right. Or the other way round from the driver's perspective.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mildred is off school until next month. so home teach started up this week. Areas of shapes. An introduction to pi. How to measure distance from little stuff like cells to big distances in light years. Not too much too soon though. Then a game or two of chess. She is up 7-2 for this month. Am I going backwards; or she gonna be Thailand champion one day?

Mrs Owl cracked some more sink tiles (have pics and will post next time). When she prepares the fish she whacks them in the sink and the tiles crack. "Why you not do them outside on the concrete teerak?" "Why you not do for me? Like other farang."

A guy died in the village this week. Suffered with kidney problems for many years. I never knew him. In his 50s.

Mildred bought a ball in the 20 baht shop last week. One game of footy outside, and it deflated like a rotten grapefruit. "Dad, can fix it for me?" "Mildred, I can get another; not too expensive."  "But Dad, this is my best one." "OK dear, no problem."

Talking about footy. Foxes 2 - Geordies 4. Another shock result in the season of shocks. Come on you Irons. 'And finally (BBC news) it's Barcelona v West Ham United in this year's final. Can't wait.

Went into Ban Dung yesterday. Most people wearing masks. Although in Big C, no one eating in the restaurant had one on. Not on their faces that is. Mostly round their chins. And I spotted a smoker, who was pulling his mask down for a puff (in and out), then putting it back in place. Where's the camera when it's most needed?!

Getting together a decent collection of books. I'm sure Mildred will read them to Mrs Owl in the future. Translate as she goes. Half way through 1984 at the mo'. First time I've read it for 30 years. Just one more book on order. Richard Dawkins.

Just checked on the election results. Only Hartlepool in. Come on Piers; you can do it. Should have had a tickle; 500-1 to be next London Mayor.

What a dip-stick I was. I'd looked at the snooker betting at the get-go and strongly fancied three players. 'Name the finalists' was worth a wager. The three were, Murphy, Wilson and Selby. Two trades. 30-1 for Murphy v Selby and 40-1 Wilson v Selby. I was undecided. Thought I'd let it run through for a few rounds. Then, when I next checked it was hardly worth bothering with. Should have gone with it at the start.

Keeping up my diet. Milk in the morning, solid food in the afternoon and just fruit in the evening. I'd like to drink half a litre of virgin olive oil too; but it's so expensive.

Where is that rain? Dear me; same as last year it seems. Nothing until August I reckon!

There is only one thing left to say; thank you and bye y'all.

I just ate a wonderful turian thet(Soursop) which I have been growing for 7 years. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Your village is full of hi-powered cats then.

I've never been aware of dog catchers near us. There again I'm not aware of much unless it's tech related.

I wait for a photo - especially if there's an electric meter involved.

'The lady 'Nang' told me she reported the fallen meter boxes 4 years ago.'

Proves the meter reader doesn't give a flock about it either. If it's working, don't repair it.

The dog catchers would come every week or so.

The villagers were in a quandary sometimes. They liked their pet dog but an ice bucket was tempting. What do do? And while they were considering,  the dog would get scooped up and that was that. "You said an ice-bucket!" "Dog only have one ear. Take this spare fan blade." And they were off.

I know it was very basic, but at least I could walk to the corner shop after dark without being chased by 17 dogs. Unlike now.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Go wash your mouth out with ditch-water Neeranam.

Give up Isaan for that town full of fleusies? They don't even have a chess club now. Although some of the fishing boats are picturesque.

869443930_HuaHin03.png.68a61332cf82aa12f462d8d421ce6033.png

1627624950_HuaHin04.png.3a991ffbde9e36b14c44111b48324fb7.png

When's the next train to Isaan guv'?.

360820254_HuaHin01.png.553d811cfa7da392e90eecff169f8e5e.png

I was there.

2138962698_HuaHin02.png.61b04f4cab6c69e374f46425cb736c4b.png

So was Mrs Owl.

1941568991_HuaHin06.png.e22c301ad57dcd93bcbb2250532c7a88.png

What are you thinking of?! You'll regret it!

Wow nice photos. I am looking forward to walking to the beach whenever I feel like it. I did love ISarn when I first moved here, after many years in Bangkok. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Go on. Why did the dog catcher cause problems with the leccy?

Dogs trying to climb up the poles out of the way?

Talking of the dog catchers reminded me of an incident in Sawang Dan Ding. A few years ago (AT's old stamping ground).

The misses and me had gone into a street restaurant and were enjoying our meal. The lady serving the grub was a stunner. I will say that I've rarely seen a girl so lovely; before or since.

She caught my eye a couple of times; and I got that knowing look.

Mrs Owl went to the loo. Within seconds the waitress made her way over to my table. I thought she was gonna give me her phone number. She stood close to me, bent down, and whispered in my ear.

"Farang like dog stew? Fresh in. Very nice. Take-a-way gift for Madam."

On the way home I told the Misses what had happened.

"Why you not get for me?"

Can't win 'em all I thought

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

531820295_fixloogun07.png.3ba2c406798a60774d901d1bd2edb7eb.png

Nice.

My Dad would have called it a "Heath Robinson" solution. 

I'll take that as a compliment.

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I will be moving to Isarn (Kalasin) once I retire, at which time I will have been in Bangkok at least 41 years. The total change in lifestyle has me concerned, but luckily as a kid I lived in the countryside so love nature, fishing and cycling. But Hua Hin? Hmmm that could definitely work as well and my wife and I had both considered it.

However, my wife wants a child, which I am fine with, and we both think that it would be best to be near her family. May not happen as she hits 40 this year, so not so easy, but we will give it a go. I know it is very late in life for me to be starting a new family, I get that, but I will be dead long before my wife so she will at least have a son or daughter (I hope not twins, but there is a risk as my wife is one) to give her some company and to share her life with.       

That certainly will be a change! I was in Bangkok for only 10 years before moving here and it was a huge change, although Khon Kaen city was' baan nok' 17 years ago, unlike today.

Being fluent in Thai, as I know you are, definitely helps when living in Isarn. Good luck! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I will be moving to Isarn (Kalasin) once I retire, at which time I will have been in Bangkok at least 41 years. The total change in lifestyle has me concerned, but luckily as a kid I lived in the countryside so love nature, fishing and cycling. But Hua Hin? Hmmm that could definitely work as well and my wife and I had both considered it.

However, my wife wants a child, which I am fine with, and we both think that it would be best to be near her family. May not happen as she hits 40 this year, so not so easy, but we will give it a go. I know it is very late in life for me to be starting a new family, I get that, but I will be dead long before my wife so she will at least have a son or daughter (I hope not twins, but there is a risk as my wife is one) to give her some company and to share her life with.       

My mom was 44 when I was born.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 11:20 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Ken Barlow is 88 and celebrated 60 years as the world’s most boring actor last year. He left Corrie in March this year as he fell ill with Covid but should be back in the Street anytime soon !!

My god ….. is this what my life has become ??..… googling Ken bloody Barlow to post on a thread about farming in Thailand !!   ………………………. someone put me out of my misery ????

Check out Buggernation Street on YouTube. All the old cast; Sharples, Tatlock, Tanner, Annie & Billy Walker plus many others. Original episodes with altered dialogue, it is gutter humour so steer clear if easily offended. Make sure to view the credits.

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, Neeranam said:

Wow nice photos. I am looking forward to walking to the beach whenever I feel like it. I did love ISarn when I first moved here, after many years in Bangkok. 

My plan when if reach pension age, as long as they don't can it or bump the age another 5 years, is to spend six months by the ocean and 6 months in the long grass as I grew up half in the country and half near the beach so I can crave both, Ok I can crave the beach!

• Like 1