Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

21 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

No such luck HP. And she is looking so,,,!

Been a bit disjointed with me turning the old mobile into a block of ice and waiting for the new one. But it's onward and upwards from now on. And any thoughts of a new car out of the reckoning for now. Luckily.

Next battle is agreeing what to do with the euca cutting. Life is not as smooth as it should be right now. Mildred off school tomorrow. We will go to farm in the afternoon.

Did you try sticking the old phone in a bag of rice Owl and see if you can save it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sotonowl said:

Did you try sticking the old phone in a bag of rice Owl and see if you can save it?

I didn't Owl. The phone seemed OK when it thawed out, but the battery wouldn't charge more than 16%. Then went to zero withing seconds.

Took it to the phone shop and the expert said that it wasn't a proper battery and advised me to get a new phone. I've still got the old phone. It was better for pics than this new one. I'll get a couple of pics together tomorrow. Perhaps someone has an idea.

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I didn't Owl. The phone seemed OK when it thawed out, but the battery wouldn't charge more than 16%. Then went to zero withing seconds.

Took it to the phone shop and the expert said that it wasn't a proper battery and advised me to get a new phone. I've still got the old phone. It was better for pics than this new one. I'll get a couple of pics together tomorrow. Perhaps someone has an idea.

I've never tried it myself either but I've read in a few places that it can work wonders for drying phones out that is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sotonowl said:

I've never tried it myself either but I've read in a few places that it can work wonders for drying phones out that is.

The problems with the last phone started at the beginning if the hot spell. I would whip out the phone, only to be told it was too hot to take a pic. Started putting it in the freezer for just a few minutes before going out. Worked a treat. But I left it there overnight. You can guess the rest.

My new mobile looks the biz, but it's not very good. Will not accept a SIM, and the pics are crap. Waste of 700 baht.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I'm surprised you got a cellphone for 700 baht... 

I'd expect something more like this for that money:  

72acbd08b0a9141188ec55c0d9b178ea.jpg.7cd66beefff7f6806ad099de493650af.jpg

And regarding the heat, I agree.  My smart watch didn't like the 40+ temp either.  Kept on shutting down to 'save internal workings'. 

Sometimes you have to pay a bit more to get decent quality.  But I think this heat would even kill off them! 

I tend to stick with known brands for electronics.  Other stuff not so much. So far so good. 

Strange your phone won't accept a sim.  Have you checked with any sim provider to find out why?  I know there are a few differing sizes but unsure about formats/upgrades etc that can cause this to happen. 

I remember some earlier digital cameras couldn't accept later model memory cards... software problems and different technology. 

Hopefully someone can sort your sim problem. 

The SIM was the one being used in the last phone. I'm not too much bothered for the calls as I've got me trusted Nokia for that. It's not great with taking pics though.

oldtelehone.png.ad125bd24fc7dcdbb11cdb65b8b12fd1.png

Don't make em like they used to.

Edited by owl sees all

20 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Yeah, not accepting a sim is strange for a phone, most baked bean cans nowadays accept sim...😎

I'll get it looked at in Ban Dung next time I visit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, degrub said:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/microsd-card-android-guide/

The tray for a sim card and a micro sd memory card look very similar.

Also, some use the same tray with two places in it.

Way above my understanding. I might buy an Apple next. They never have problems. But could I get one for under a grand baht?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Way above my understanding. I might buy an Apple next. They never have problems. But could I get one for under a grand baht?

For US 30 $ ? Maybe ten times that amount for a used one. But, I don’t know the market in LOS.

my thought previously was that maybe the sim card was inadvertently put in the slot tray for a micro sd card instead of the sim card tray.

Edited by degrub
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, degrub said:

For US 30 $ ? Maybe ten times that amount for a used one. But, I don’t know the market in LOS.

my thought previously was that maybe the sim card was inadvertently put in the slot tray for a micro sd card instead of the sim card tray.

Thanks for the heads up on the Apple.

Might be worth a trip to Laos for the phone. Can get a Rolex there for 500 baht. Must be able to get an Apple for about the same. And for those smarty-pants out there. I'm talking a mobile smart phone, not one of those round things some people eat.

I'll get a phone guy in Ban Dung to check out the SIM and slot.

• Haha 2

Many years ago whilst working in the Middle East,  I purchased those Apple replicas for my teenage kids back in NZ. 

Cheap and nasty sums up that experience.  However it was perhaps the best option as Apple were constantly changing models. 

They all become redundant pretty quickly.  Saved me some $$$$ and by that time they all had their own jobs to buy there own. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Maybe a knocked off one but then you'll be waiting for the knock on the door. I got mine from here a few years ago now, used iPhone 7. Think I paid around £150 at the time, well worth it though. No good for you though Owl as it's a UK site but surely there's similar in Thailand.

https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store/mobile-phones/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

image.png.6b20cd0d78a8785579361d6c74049f91.png

Could be pomelo.

That’s what i was thinking, Pomelo ( somho ) like a big grapefruit with a thick skin, can get really big.

IMG_3962.thumb.jpeg.4d6a5aa5c0c3dc6d23cc77e3a5574d96.jpeg

Talad Thai in Navanakorn ( Rangsit )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That’s what i was thinking, Pomelo ( somho ) like a big grapefruit with a thick skin, can get really big.

IMG_3962.thumb.jpeg.4d6a5aa5c0c3dc6d23cc77e3a5574d96.jpeg

Talad Thai in Navanakorn ( Rangsit )

Impressive stacking. Wouldn't be good to trip over any corner fruits.

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

image.png.6b20cd0d78a8785579361d6c74049f91.png

Could be pomelo.

OK. Thanks for that CL.

Of course I've eaten them when they are ripe. Didn't recognise them small.

TBH, they are a little sour for me. Dip them in honey.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

OK. Thanks for that CL.

Of course I've eaten them when they are ripe. Didn't recognise them small.

TBH, they are a little sour for me. Dip them in honey.

There’s a lot of different types and tastes, plus there’s regular and pink.

I used to eat it regularly but have gone off it recently, not really sure why.

Same with beer, used to be a real p1ss head but don’t touch any alcohol now ( except a couple of social pints on my trips to the U.K..)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I know many of you guys have got/have had dud brother in laws, geez I’m lucky, mines pretty bloody good.

I got sent off to the farm this arvo to help my “brother” Green.

I had bought a second hand tractor and trailer in 2018 for the family farm (about B30000 from memory) today I finally got to see it in action.

Most of the farm had been sown for rice in the past week but about 6 paddy’s still to be done was today’s job.

I had no idea how important the timing of the plowing was regarding rain, I now understand…

Edited by HighPriority
Can’t add pics 😢
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

One end of most of the paddy’s was still a bit wet in spite of not much rain the past few days 

This ended up taking over an hour to extract… we couldn’t keep the engine running to wedge the log and drive out, so it was the two of us with the heave ho and needed the wives in as well !

IMG_2897.thumb.jpeg.7b8d00c05d0d1b186f91383cc6ead2d2.jpeg

IMG_2902.thumb.jpeg.72b3987873fcf1b97f5b4796cb140a56.jpeg

Eventually we got out

IMG_2905.thumb.jpeg.8f20f4677ae8d4ff259176da0076f21a.jpeg

With a black sky closing in and daylight running out it was time to start tossing rice out and about

IMG_2914.thumb.jpeg.5a8888cf0ad7437bd146e03ddc1fff3e.jpeg

Time for well deserved beers after that. 

IMG_2900.jpeg

Good grief.  That's Phon Phisai for yer. Don't happen in our parts.

Simply not enough water in the paddy HP. 

plough4rice.png.5f1a098ee30c4fb80a7795bf0696dd42.png

Here's how to do it.

Great pics HP. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Greetings from Phon Phisai, Owl and constant readers.

Great weather up here the past 2 days, overcast and cool but sadly lacking in rain, I hope you guys have fared better ?

Myself, Mrs HP, her daughter and nephew went to the markets this morning, lots to see and eat, but the tingtong farang forgot to take pics 🙄

Owl, I have learned nothing from you, forgive me, I am sorry… 😢

Mrs HP needed to pick up mums station wagon from the mechanics after the markets B3220 2 x new tyres, 4 x new seat covers, light/indicator repairs and a rear view mirror (please tell me they serviced the engine… ?)

We jumped on board and got about a km to the main “River Hwy” (Nong Khai Rd) Just about to enter the intersection when “BANG !! The new rear tyre blew ! 
I thought I’d upset a local and was a drive by shooting victim… 😎🤣

We pulled a quick U turn to clear the intersection and the kids took off to fetch the mechanic back.

He arrived 15 mins later, pulled the wheel off and fled the scene 🤣 to return 30 mins later, refit the wheel and then go off to road test… which led to an interesting discussion with MrsHP…

”Darling, you have money ?”

”Why ?”

”Maybe cost more”

”Maybe he not do good job, In Aussie his problem, he fix”

”Thailand… darling !”

Pleasantly, he returned and advised no charge, so I gave him B40 for some Leo for his time.

akiIMG_2875.jpeg

Our new leccy three wheeler got something of a puncture last week. The tyre simply came off the rim. Bought an inner-tube the week before, but the man told Mrs Owl it wasn't needed; and put everything back as it was.

Still non the wiser why it came off.  Making me think going to Udon on it is not such a good thing.

No pics as I was in the farm when the tyre fix man came. 160 baht fee.

• Like 1