Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

That's three rimes in the last ten days.

This old man he played three

He played nick nack on my knee 

With a nick nack paddy wack

Give a dog a bone 

This old man came rolling home!

That's a rhyme with three.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

This old man he played three

He played nick nack on my knee 

With a nick nack paddy wack

Give a dog a bone 

This old man came rolling home!

That's a rhyme with three.

'R' and 'T' are next to each other on my keyboard.

Mrs Owl must have walked past at that very moment. Got me excited; or scared. Can't remember the exact occasion.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

'R' and 'T' are next to each other on my keyboard.

Mrs Owl must have walked past at that very moment. Got me excited; or scared. Can't remember the exact occasion.

I know mister Owl that you cannot contain your continued excitement for Mrs Owl but you really must learn to contain yourself.My keyboard has a busted "N" since I grabbed one of the cats that walked on my keyboard, of course the cats claws came out and hooked onto the "N" and detached it and now it's not formed it's previous level of attachment of functional performance and is now a hit or miss problem for me forcing a continual revision process which is a real PIA!

I also knew it was a typo but I couldn't resist the opportunity to recite one of my favourite rimes.(typo intentional).

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Had a walk around the grounds of my son's Uni yesterday while killing time waiting him. Came across this monitor lizard having a nap in the bushes a metre or so from the footpath. Hard to see him at first, well camouflaged. This is probably the closest I've been to one to take a snap. Didn't wake him/her.

I was googling just the other day where do they sleep? Do they have a nest or what? Turns out they make long burrows. There's a type in Oz that makes a helical burrow down several metres.

Look at the claws on it. Looks like a monster from a 60s Dr Who.

20210629_114520.jpg

There are quite a few over at Kham Chanod. Some big ones too.

We (me and Mrs Owl) gave them 10 healthy cats a while back. I've not been back there for about 18 months.

There are also a couple in a big cage in Ban Dung.

Edited by owl sees all

7 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Spotted this guy in Bangkok in 2018, 2m+ is my guess. 

294761A6-5BBF-416D-9D56-91AB51ABAEF6.jpeg

4183AF6D-4781-48BD-9B12-95FA6AABFA56.jpeg

They really do look like crocs when they swim.

I live right next to a khlong and fields so they're a real regular visitor to our garden. At some point every year we'll have a tiddler residing in our drains in the garden...they don't venture far from the grid then scarper back in to the grid when bothered.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Had a walk around the grounds of my son's Uni yesterday while killing time waiting him. Came across this monitor lizard having a nap in the bushes a metre or so from the footpath. Hard to see him at first, well camouflaged. This is probably the closest I've been to one to take a snap. Didn't wake him/her.

I was googling just the other day where do they sleep? Do they have a nest or what? Turns out they make long burrows. There's a type in Oz that makes a helical burrow down several metres.

Look at the claws on it. Looks like a monster from a 60s Dr Who.

20210629_114520.jpg

We call them Goannas, we used to have regular visitors of up to 1.5 meters eating the chop bones my Mother use to toss to them on the Central Coast NSW.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, owl sees all said:

We have a tree that is giving lots of fruit. Don't know what the fruit is called. Milly and her mum like it. I prefer a raw carrot????.

892406953_newfruit.png.d95de7b2d290d791ccd82ab6ef5ccc68.png

Knew the name in Thai (kratorn (hor)) but had no idea in English so googled it. Apparently, they are called santol fruit or cotton fruit, aka wild mangosteen. Not really my thing, when it comes to fruit. However, the Thai name sticks with me because when I first came to Thailand many years ago, a young lady whose bed I sometimes shared, gave me the nickname kraton (hor). She claimed it was because my blond hair and fair skin reminded her of this fruit.  She was probably lying and there was some hidden meaning, but I was naïve and if that was all I had to put up with for a bit of fun between the sheets, it was fine by me. Luckily, when we lost touch the name disappeared. At least until Mr. Owl unintentionally reminded me of my "roots".   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Spotted this guy in Bangkok in 2018, 2m+ is my guess. 

294761A6-5BBF-416D-9D56-91AB51ABAEF6.jpeg

4183AF6D-4781-48BD-9B12-95FA6AABFA56.jpeg

In Bangkok.

432731694_biglizard.png.36f9570e2a423bacdc689c68abe4cffc.png

1431593735_biglizard00.png.3d6d30439352bcb6354a9bd946a240d6.png

Also spotted this monster. Destroying buildings at will.

2050512441_giantelephant.png.fce70257a53ff9220c232fff7636f40e.png

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

In Bangkok.

432731694_biglizard.png.36f9570e2a423bacdc689c68abe4cffc.png

1431593735_biglizard00.png.3d6d30439352bcb6354a9bd946a240d6.png

Also spotted this monster. Destroying buildings at will.

2050512441_giantelephant.png.fce70257a53ff9220c232fff7636f40e.png

After years of driving past the 3 headed elephant, about 3 years back the wife and i visited. The outside of the chang is very discoloured and not so beautiful but inside it is spectacular. Gardens are lovely too. What impressed me the most was how they constructed it and the exhibition of the working drawings. Easy to get to on the BTS (chang erawan station). Deceased owner is the man who built The Sanctuary of Truth (another spectacular building worth a visit) and Ancient Siam.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

After years of driving past the 3 headed elephant, about 3 years back the wife and i visited. The outside of the chang is very discoloured and not so beautiful but inside it is spectacular. Gardens are lovely too. What impressed me the most was how they constructed it and the exhibition of the working drawings. Easy to get to on the BTS (chang erawan station). Deceased owner is the man who built The Sanctuary of Truth (another spectacular building worth a visit) and Ancient Siam.

My pic was taken 12 years ago. So it's still there?

Didn't know it had three heads.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:55 AM, CharlieH said:

Do you have a "strimmer" or "brush-cutter" Mr Owl ?

This little fella might come in handy too.....

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.3EURW

Have you got one of these @CharlieH?

I'm slightly confused by the description of the saw. It says max cutting diameter is 60mm, but later says it takes 10 seconds to cut a 15cm diameter log. If it's limited to 60mm then it's no good for what I want, but if it CAN cut a 15cm log, then I will buy one. Also, it doesn't seem to have an oil tank/reservoir to lubricate the blade. Does this mean the blade doesn't need lubricating? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Presumably, the battery life is round about 30 mins?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Have you got one of these @CharlieH?

I'm slightly confused by the description of the saw. It says max cutting diameter is 60mm, but later says it takes 10 seconds to cut a 15cm diameter log. If it's limited to 60mm then it's no good for what I want, but if it CAN cut a 15cm log, then I will buy one. Also, it doesn't seem to have an oil tank/reservoir to lubricate the blade. Does this mean the blade doesn't need lubricating? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Presumably, the battery life is round about 30 mins?

Respectfully suggest you look/search youtube as there are many to watch and will answer your questions better from a visual point.

Apparently, no you do not need to lubricate the chain.

Yes larger things can be cut but not in a single pass, its only a 4 inch bar on that model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Respectfully suggest you look/search youtube as there are many to watch and will answer your questions better from a visual point.

Apparently, no you do not need to lubricate the chain.

Yes larger things can be cut but not in a single pass, its only a 4 inch bar on that model.

I'm quite happy to do "due diligence" on YouTube etc, but the reason I asked you is that I would much rather have advice from someone knowledgeable who already has the item. Thanks for the lube/cut info.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

There are lots of this type of electric cutter on the market. They range from 800 baht to 4000 baht. The one that CharlieH pointed to seems to be very good value for money.

I've ordered one from Lazada and it should be with me this week. I'll give it a good workout on the plantation and report back.

As they say; watch this space.

In the UK, I had a cheap mains electric chainsaw (from B&Q) which did the job, but the lubricating oil used to leak. When I came to live here I bought a chinese manufactured 2 stroke petrol chainsaw from a local H/W shop, which was more hassle than it was worth, so I eventually gave it away.

I've been looking around for a while on Lazada. The problem with Lazada (IMHO) is that the item descriptions can be inaccurate, mistranslated or even lies. I have also read about fake reviews done by some sellers to boost their ratings.

Also reviews of incomplete/wrong items being sent are quite common.

IMHO, there is an element of luck when shopping on Lazada.

All that aside, I look forward to your report. Thanks.

Don't know what the weather is doing in you guys neck of the woods but down here on the Darkside of Pattaya it hissed it down at 05.30hrs this morning, woke me up, albeit not for long  ????lasted over an hour I think.

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Don't know what the weather is doing in you guys neck of the woods but down here on the Darkside of Pattaya it hissed it down at 05.30hrs this morning, woke me up, albeit not for long  ????lasted over an hour I think.

The weather up here is an absolute disgrace. It's supposed to be the wet season. I've a good mind to report it to Thai Trading Standards.

Have to bear in mind that the little hill between Pattaya and Jomtiem (where the metal letters are) is a mountain to us. To find a hill as high as that I'd have to travel 80 Km.

No rain to speak of for over three weeks.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 8:11 PM, owl sees all said:

The weather up here is an absolute disgrace. It's supposed to be the wet season. I've a good mind to report it to Thai Trading Standards.

You need one of those giant phalluses (or is it Phalli?)

Penis-statue-brings-rain-to-Thai-village

https://aseannow.com/topic/1220343-it-actually-worked-chachoengsao-locals-report-rainfall-after-phallus-erected-in-road/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Well we need something. Perhaps if the farmers prayed to the rain-god more. Or drunk 10% more Lao Khow. Or get one of those meat and two veg things.  like in the pic.

Wasn't this year supposed to be an incredibly wet one? I'm sure some government department said that.