Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

Ahh, the good ol days when sex was dirty, beer was cheap and Fanny was a girls name…

????

One of the more recent Fannys was a tv cook.

Fanny Cradock and her doting hubby, were always showing the mums what to do in the kitchen. Keeping their men happy, attentive and loyal don't ya know. Worked too!

Beer! My first pint cost me 2-8 1/2 pence. That's the 'd' not the 'p'. In old talk that is two shillings, eight and a half pence (d).

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Yes, yes yes!

Rubik Cube arrived a couple of days ago. Super fast bit of kit.

715541544_11cube.png.585fc6d84f969469bcc712caa06f8a7a.png

Solved it for the first time ever on Wednesday. Gradually got better since.

121803693_12cube.png.49f4e436c1857339b088c575ea73bda5.png

Got to the point where i can do all the eight sequences without making a mistake. Timed myself this morning.

544850262_13cube.png.48477966baf9059d42c0f70312940a99.png

5 minutes 41 seconds..

I'll show Mildred how to do the cube at the week end.

'There ain't half been some clever barstards'

Ian Drury 1991

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 13-11-2022 - Sunday morning.

The rice season is in full swing. Two machines at work in the village and one in the farm next to us. And that's just one afternoon.

Som - the hubby of the big mango lady - had brought over a load from the small farm next to us.

705982814_riceready11.png.8c94fa5d4abb82efa9e772a7365d71aa.png

1309384560_riceready111.png.03c61064b9dbee43d94bc3c4cebd6438.png

When the rice machine arrived the rice cart was towed just down the soi.

415864872_harvesteronway.png.60c508b0e011fe5df185af5e2b5dc7aa.png

Then it was a matter of lining things up. Wait for it!!

2011698592_1111rice1.png.fd16274ee890f75c7dacf1c86bbf5e1f.png

And they were good to go.

And just round the corner at the same time; more action.

1234904109_111rice.png.ab39c89191f647324ae05178415dd010.png

Got to the last one at the farm just at the end of proceedings.

It's certainly been a busy week. What with the incident, when a guy was killed. My trip to Udon, and farm activity everywhere.

1233175870_laysugar.png.988c312b7235c3add15cb7bf4ce1e753.png

This is Tong Ann's farm. It's next to us. Have a 250 metre border with them. Would like to buy it. 22 rai. Put it in Mildred's name.

Must get a couple of jobs done next week. One is sorting out the rice store before it starts filling up. The mice get into the store through the floor. I'm thinking either a fine wire mesh covering or cover the floor with ply-wood.

The other job is to get the water pump fixed up. No rain for 33 days now. Last year we went 119 days without rain. Could easily be the same this season. Need the water for the garden part of the farm. I do give my avocados a bucket when they look as though they need it though.

2044532361_11farmavo.png.63017ba366c2501fdeb878143bcfbf3e.png

The other one is not nearly so bad.

1908820894_12farmavo.png.6054afe6b5730e984f5bb8b906910b50.png

Have a very sturdy replacement at home if this one goes belly up. Planting small trees is so uncertain.

Plenty of youngsters at the village.

1042732714_11babies.png.458b5438bdc3ec29bf8a2f36096759b2.png

And the twins.

72615703_twinsabout000.png.e63639232e128adefc01a22e9cdc85ca.png

And the young lady's mum is selling her goodies.

1158133321_ladysell00.png.81c5893d72af0621ea0644a84a8aaa8a.png

This particular soi must be the best in the village if you was a chicken. They are everywhere.

1122187663_soichickens.png.aca8350445afba3b5af264ab97d6cf64.png

Life as a buffalo is very repetitive. 

Go to sleep under the house. Wake up,  walk to the grazing area, before eating and wallowing in the nearest pond. Then back home to rest after a hard day in the mud.

1736264117_111buffsgohome.png.59c62b8060c90c957f4816a3bb91742e.png

Had a job to do at home. Mrs Owl bought a hanger at the 20 baht shop. She wanted it fixed to the wall with screws. Like I did in the kitchen. I wasn't keen on drilling into tiles. So I sorted it another way.

205789654_hangingrail01.png.90d64bbe9356eb89df021f972e090049.png

Now does this bit of construction/engineering meet with approval? Will I get those little things that I crave for? Sort of! Got a nice cup of rosy without a 'big' moan. But she still has the TV sound miles too high. "Terak! Can you turn the sound down a little?" "Your ears bad. Getting old. I not do."

One of the farms next to us has dozens of birds.

1927161836_ducksandchickens02.png.5c684f7de4ffce79a237770fcea3cdea.png

Ducks and chickens living in harmony.

1227629096_ducksnchickens.png.70ee655dd1b6f359a9076a7ea7239ab0.png

On the way back from Udon I spotted a cute sign.

1168837513_curveorverve.png.ac4214af5a9f1fb636fc109d85a00895.png

Our number eight pond water level is subject to the water table. Although it has been a decent wet season the water table is still low. At this time of the year, in years past, it would have been at least a metre higher.

253062235_eightpond.png.b4a601796a06b7bdbfe7ce6d57c239b7.png

Visited 7-11 on Ban Dung. Went long to see the carp. Gone! None to be seen at the other one either; at the opposite side of town. A bit of compensation with a pretty tree outside Amazon Coffee.

1883666883_silverstars00.png.71674ded379c16ec7ead0538cf5d8ca6.png

How lovely. Certainly gives the tree a bit of character.

1553689128_silverstars.png.3f87aec989e185faf5b1be9d74d3551a.png

Had a couple of deliveries. Mildred finally got her birthday pressie; the set of books by Lilin.

66259935_millybooks.png.0e82182701ae6aa54a8d1d87ed56a665.png

And the Mrs got her new shoes.

2027047551_newshoes.png.0bfeb3e575c9997a520953439973bd68.png

I am informed that they are too big."You make mistake; order. Want smaller." So I ordered again a size smaller; a 4 instead of a 5. Fortunately the ones that were delivered fitted Mildred.

The Buddha st Sum Sao is looking good. They have started to build a massive structure at the rear. Had a good look around (pics later today).

Footy round-up.

Well done The Bees. Orient march on towards the Champions League. Owls win. Irons lose. Those Geordies mean business. Toffeemen doomed. Lampard next to go. Leeds score three and lose. World cup starting soon. I think Germany will lift the trophy. England third place.

World focus.

David Icke banned from travelling to Europe. The US Mid-terms are on a knife edge. What happened in Arizona? Getting cold in Ukraine as winter sets in.

Sorted out my visa on Monday. No problems.

Mildred has to learn this Buddha stuff in English. Then - if selected to represent the school - it's off to Bangkok for some sort of competition. I don't want her to go. Maybe she will fluff her lines!?

My urine challenge is just fantastic. Cleaned up my head. Not moving on to phase two. Might go straight to phase three if I cam get the necessary kit.

Been chipping away at my Rubik Cube record. Last evening set a new personal best of 4 minutes nine seconds. I showed Mildred how to do it on Thursday, and she has achieved 2 minutes 58 seconds already. Have ordered another cube, and also a nice chess set on Lazada.

1116125709_ladiesrest.png.62453295a28a90a7949ddc6cc8dbfa03.png

Really must sort out that wall.

Went into Big C on Friday after picking daughter up from school. Mildred spotted a hat and wanted one. This hat is special. It has dangolly things, and when you squeeze them, the ears of the hat shoot up. Only 299 baht??!! Dear me!

I notice in Big C, that all the water coolers have gone. All of them!

Want to get a glass container; that is suitable for holding hot soup. I like the chicken-foot soup that some food stalls have, but don't like it being put into plastic bags. If I get a glass holder they can put the soup straight in there and it will be OK in the fridge at home. That chicken-foot soup is the nuts.

Only one thing left to say; bye y'all.

Great photos and video Owl, thanks.

My last Avocado (grown from a seed) died last week. It was looking healthy at about 1.5m tall and about 3cm thick at the base when I last saw it in April. I suspect that it was over-watered by the guy who looks after the garden while we are away.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Great photos and video Owl, thanks.

My last Avocado (grown from a seed) died last week. It was looking healthy at about 1.5m tall and about 3cm thick at the base when I last saw it in April. I suspect that it was over-watered by the guy who looks after the garden while we are away.

Sorry to hear that CL. I've had very mixed results when growing from seed or even little saplings.

My grape-vine died. Mrs Owl's durian trees died, and a couple of other trees too. But on the upside, the avocados are OK. Except for that poor one in the pic. I've also managed to grow a really nice mango tree from the seed. I'll get a pic when I go to the farm this afternoon.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Im not sure its the best thing for the plastic but when I was a youngster my mates and I would lubricate our Rubiks Cubes with vasilene or baby oil, but I'm sure there are better lubes than that available.

It really sped them up.

I'm at the point now, where the mind is faster than me fingers. The two newest cubes are well fast enough. My weakness is the fingers. I tend to use the right hand too much.

Interesting what you say HP. Can you remember your best time?

• Like 1

5743BEF4-7626-48CB-B048-D8755C78BE5D.png.6687d571021b5fce31455672dbb68082.png

Chicken feet soup or the urine challenge ?, probably tastes the same imo.

GF just finished some chicken feet soup and left the offending limb lying there like some galine autopsy , nearly put me off my spring rolls !

3124404B-239C-4A2B-AF44-4E52809AEB3A.thumb.jpeg.cc281ea832a133a251d0f9ef578e529b.jpeg

She did complain that the soup was a little spicy though ……. really ?

1754DE4C-0BC9-4B01-88C6-1071C97FB0A1.thumb.jpeg.beb554cde216a2ae4c0259975f04825b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Chicken feet soup or the urine challenge ?, probably tastes the same imo.

GF just finished some chicken feet soup and left the offending limb lying there like some galine autopsy , nearly put me off my spring rolls !

Must clear something up. Wouldn't want anyone to start in the wrong place. The urine challenge is in three stages. I'm on no 1.

Phase one, is using some urine on the body.

Phase two, is drinking it.

Phase three, needs a special tool to do it properly.

Chicken foot soup!? Good on ya girl friend Andy. Full of nutrients. Especially if the actual chicken's feet had been used for running about. Rather than laying dormant in some coup.

However, in saying that, my hip has been playing up, so it's magnesium tabs alongside the soup.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm at the point now, where the mind is faster than me fingers. The two newest cubes are well fast enough. My weakness is the fingers. I tend to use the right hand too much.

Interesting what you say HP. Can you remember your best time?

I had to learn the technique from a book, I was fairly quick, but I've got no hope of remembering that far back, or more to the point I wasn't quick enough to have a time worth remembering... ! ????

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I had to learn the technique from a book, I was fairly quick, but I've got no hope of remembering that far back, or more to the point I wasn't quick enough to have a time worth remembering... ! ????

Evidently there are a number of solutions. Mildred's solving differs form mine a bit.

But how someone can do it blindfold in just over 20 seconds is mind-blowing. And I've seen people do it just using one hand or even their feet. The blind-fold one is fantastic. It's on 'Rumble' I think. I'll dig it out.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Must clear something up. Wouldn't want anyone to start in the wrong place. The urine challenge is in three stages. I'm on no 1.

Phase one, is using some urine on the body.

Phase two, is drinking it.

Phase three, needs a special tool to do it properly.

Chicken foot soup!? Good on ya girl friend Andy. Full of nutrients. Especially if the actual chicken's feet had been used for running about. Rather than laying dormant in some coup.

However, in saying that, my hip has been playing up, so it's magnesium tabs alongside the soup.

Only jesting Owl, I know you are on the “ to be taken externally “ stage.

I don’t like to eat any chicken skin ( unless crispy ) and scrape it off chicken breast and wings etc .

As my dear old mum would say “ don’t be so nesh “

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Only jesting Owl, I know you are on the “ to be taken externally “ stage.

I don’t like to eat any chicken skin ( unless crispy ) and scrape it off chicken breast and wings etc .

As my dear old mum would say “ don’t be so nesh “

The chicken feet and legs are special for us. But!! It's important to make sure the feet and the legs have had a natural life. That is running about on the earth in the sun. This promotes the growth of collagen and other ATP enzymes.

It's the plastic that turns me off. Put hot stuff into a plastic bag and molecules of the plastic will find there way into the ingredients.

The human body's response to the soup; is to reinforce the protective elements around the joints. Magnesium helps to send calcium to where it's needed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The chicken feet and legs are special for us. But!! It's important to make sure the feet and the legs have had a natural life. That is running about on the earth in the sun. This promotes the growth of collagen and other ATP enzymes.

It's the plastic that turns me off. Put hot stuff into a plastic bag and molecules of the plastic will find there way into the ingredients.

The human body's response to the soup; is to reinforce the protective elements around the joints. Magnesium helps to send calcium to where it's needed.

I could probably eat the chicken feet soup if the feet were removed before eating but couldn’t chew on the feet !, am the same with beef and pork fat , it just doesn’t go down ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I could probably eat the chicken feet soup if the feet were removed before eating but couldn’t chew on the feet !, am the same with beef and pork fat , it just doesn’t go down ????

I'm with you part-way there Andy. I'm not keen on eating the actual feet. Although the Thais like them.

I don't eat beef at all. But some pig fat - again, as long as the piggies have had a natural life - is very good for the body.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm with you part-way there Andy. I'm not keen on eating the actual feet. Although the Thais like them.

I don't eat beef at all. But some pig fat - again, as long as the piggies have had a natural life - is very good for the body.

Yes, again, if the pig fat is cooked enough I can eat it, love pork scratchings , it’s the slimy undercooked variety that I have trouble with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Its a refreshingly different read Owl, the <deleted> and their egos don't or at least rarely visit.

Happy Birthday for you.

Speaking of such, today is Mrs HP's birthday, shes celebrating by helping a friend cut mangos...????

TBH HP, I sometimes read back a couple of years. Some of the old posters are not on-line now. At least not on Aseannow.

AT tragically died. Regular previous posters like Odyssey and Blue Sofa are no longer about. Thanks must go to Voulez Vous, who once ditched his latest bit of French skirt to help me out on one of my many holidays.

And it's worth mentioning that the tread started before C-19 arrived. Interesting to see how it was coped with by the locals.

• Like 2