Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Ah yes!! The Kursal. Did you ever see Southend United play there? I think they were called Southend on Sea back then

I took the A13 route, when I went. Bread and Cheese Hill and all that. Along by the cockle fields.

Anyway; come on you cottagers!!

And talking about Fulham;;  a quiz question.

On Boxing Day 1963, Fulham beat Ipswich 10–1. The match was also notable for what?

a/ The Thames had a particularly high tide and water was breaching the 'Riverside stand'.

b/ A hat-trick was scored in record time.

c/ Jimmy Hill - TV pundit - came on as linesman after the original official twisted his ankle and went off.

d/ Match was going to be abandoned due to a floodlight failure 10 minutes from the end. The game was stopped for 6 minutes before the lights returned. Note: The floodlights had only been installed 4 months earlier.

e/ Nine goals scored in the second half. 2-0 at half time.

Answers on a postcard please.

All of the above?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

All of the above?

Close.

But if it helps; two days later the return fixture went 4-2 to Ipswich. Didn't help them though. Went down that season. Just two seasons after they were champions.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My memory fails me on the Fulham question …….. but i was only 2 1/2 years old ????

You are forgiven Andy.

On 26th December (Boxing day) in 1963;;,; Leeds 1 - Sunderland 1

Return fixture two days later on 28th;;; Sunderland 2 - Leeds 0

But!!!! Peacocks went up to the top flight that season (63/64) as champions.

13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Ah yes!! The Kursal. Did you ever see Southend United play there? I think they were called Southend on Sea back then

I took the A13 route, when I went. Bread and Cheese Hill and all that. Along by the cockle fields.

Anyway; come on you cottagers!!

And talking about Fulham;;  a quiz question.

On Boxing Day 1963, Fulham beat Ipswich 10–1. The match was also notable for what?

a/ The Thames had a particularly high tide and water was breaching the 'Riverside stand'.

b/ A hat-trick was scored in record time.

c/ Jimmy Hill - TV pundit - came on as linesman after the original official twisted his ankle and went off.

d/ Match was going to be abandoned due to a floodlight failure 10 minutes from the end. The game was stopped for 6 minutes before the lights returned. Note: The floodlights had only been installed 4 months earlier.

e/ Nine goals scored in the second half. 2-0 at half time.

Answers on a postcard please.

I'm going for "C" Owl, just the sort of thing JH would do. And no, if I get it right it's a pure guess, I haven't googled it.

2 hours ago, sotonowl said:

I'm going for "C" Owl, just the sort of thing JH would do. And no, if I get it right it's a pure guess, I haven't googled it.

Good guess Owl.

Jimmy Hill did come on to replace an injured linesman, but not at The Cottage.

It was the Arsenal v Liverpool match in 1972. Didn't wear shorts though.

Twenty plus attempts at goal last evening against Mansfield. Better.! Don't matter about penalties. Have to concentrate on getting a win at the w/e now. Just looked. Away at Elland Road.

Edited by owl sees all

19 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Good guess Owl.

Jimmy Hill did come on to replace an injured linesman, but not at The Cottage.

It was the Arsenal v Liverpool match in 1972. Didn't wear shorts though.

Twenty plus attempts at goal last evening against Mansfield. Better.! Don't matter about penalties. Have to concentrate on getting a win at the w/e now. Just looked. Away at Elland Road.

Normally wouldn't be too worried about leeds Owl but we are poor. Yes 20 shots or so but against a team from 2 divisions lower and with quite a few injuries. Not good enough. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Normally wouldn't be too worried about leeds Owl but we are poor. Yes 20 shots or so but against a team from 2 divisions lower and with quite a few injuries. Not good enough. 

Leeds had most of the possession and shots on target yesterday but still managed to lose on penalties against Salford City ( who ? ) yesterday.

IMG_1163.thumb.jpeg.bf1d6dce1c933b5e5614832b24d718b9.jpeg

Despite a good away win at Ipswich last weekend they are still struggling to find form and hit the net, this weekend’s clash with Wednesday could go either way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sotonowl said:

???????????? It can't, it really can't. We are in turmoil. How can things go so wrong so quickly. Our Thai owner is a balloon.

There must be more to Wednesday's poor start than the owner being a balloon.

What has changed on the pitch since last season?

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Owls get their first point of the Championship season at Elland Road.

And well worth the point as well. We're improving week on week, hopefully that continues. Managed to get Jeff Hendricks (Newcastle) and John Buckley (Blackburn) in on loan. Couple of weeks working with what he has and we'll soon see. Needs to start picking wins up though now.

Bizarre Owl. That is the day I first went to watch The Owls. I'd be 8 years old and my sister took me. Result was Owls 3-0 Bolton Wanderers. I did a bit of digging around that time a few years ago and was surprised to learn that in those days the team you played on Boxing Day was the team you played on New Years Day if I remember correctly.

c/ Portsmouth

Wild guess yet again Owl.

26 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

And well worth the point as well. We're improving week on week, hopefully that continues. Managed to get Jeff Hendricks (Newcastle) and John Buckley (Blackburn) in on loan. Couple of weeks working with what he has and we'll soon see. Needs to start picking wins up though now.

Bizarre Owl. That is the day I first went to watch The Owls. I'd be 8 years old and my sister took me. Result was Owls 3-0 Bolton Wanderers. I did a bit of digging around that time a few years ago and was surprised to learn that in those days the team you played on Boxing Day was the team you played on New Years Day if I remember correctly.

Wild guess yet again Owl.

Improving for sure. And Leeds fresh fron that good win in Suffolk. Look forward to seeing them charge up the league. But!! They don't call the Championship the toughest league for nothing.

Good guess with Portsmouth Owl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Educated guess Owl. Pompey I know used to fly high. I don't know if the game you speak of was a league or cup game, chances are it was a league game so I thought it could be Everton or Pompey but Everton has been a decent side for a long time so I plumped for Pompey.

Question is though, was I right. I'll await the result in midweek.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I also tried putting it into the ChatGPT on here but it's got a bit mixed up and keeps giving different and wrong answers, here's just one.

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 17.55.35.png

Edited by sotonowl
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Educated guess Owl. Pompey I know used to fly high. I don't know if the game you speak of was a league or cup game, chances are it was a league game so I thought it could be Everton or Pompey but Everton has been a decent side for a long time so I plumped for Pompey.

Question is though, was I right. I'll await the result in midweek.

Not right on this occasion Owl.

As Danny Blanchflower said; "If we score more times than them, we should win."

672159307_Ssspurs10-toffees4.jpg.013e0e0fda3900847f4c6eb809460f3f.jpg

Ditch ChatGPT Owl. Just ask me!

Another quickie. Recent FA cup game this one.

Spurs were leading 10-1 at half time. Finished 13-2. Who was on the end of such a thrashing?

Clue; She really wanted to go to Birmingham.

Edited by owl sees all

3 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

Good! How was the spot to drill decided? By Kau Chim?

I was told by a lovely young lass, many years ago, that I could water divine. Didn't know what she was on about til I came to Thailand.

Like the shaking of the sticks to get the lottery numbers. I could do with a win. About 6 million would be nice.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Hi Owl.

Any news about the leaning tree?

Yes!

Good you ask cause it could fall at any time. Its the catfish that were in the pond right at the start. They buried into the soil and made it unstable. In fact there was a song about catfish destroying a dam called 'High Hopes.'

Are there any Classical music lovers on the thread? I've heard a piece of music and want to know what it's called.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HighPriority said:

We need Big News, leaning trees, pond levels, Avocado seedling status and with some degree of trepidation, DIL/SIL/all bloody inlaws updates too !

Tree still leaning at number 6 pond.

Ponds 1 to 4 are full. Others are 50%.

Just about to move three Avo trees from outside the house to the farm. Just enthusiasm needed.

DinL Nan. Very mysterious. Mrs Owl thinks she might have a new born. A girl this time. Just can't be sure what is true, or not, with that one. Both of them really.

SinL Pook, is only 40 metres away at the MinL's house. Looking after Grandma. I have to give her a kilo of cat biscuit every few days. She says that our old cat - Jack, who left us when we got the dogs - is knocking up the ladies. But I don't know about that. He is not that kind of cat.

A bit of news on the mobile. I put it in a plastic bag, and left it in the fridge overnight. Just tried it. Seems to be the same as before. As the shop-man said; "Kaput".

Leccy went of at 05-15 this morning precisely. Came back on at 08-15. Three hours exactly. Fishy!?

TBL! I did ask him to come back. Not heard anything.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

Good! How was the spot to drill decided? By Kau Chim?

Almost TG.

I have a bore whisperer on hand… and yes he walked around with a couple of bits of wire and then a plumb bob, and eventually settled on “The spot”

In spite of my skepticism he got the result.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Here, hear !

We need TBL back on the job to ensure this thread doesn’t degenerate back into a soccer thread again ! 
????

We need Big News, leaning trees, pond levels, Avocado seedling status and with some degree of trepidation, DIL/SIL/all bloody inlaws updates too !

To get us back on the right path, here’s a video that was sent to me by the guy who drilled a new water bore for me last week.

I haven’t struck gold but close to it !!

IMG_1620.mov

I thought it was best to leave bore drilling until the dry season. I've always been told Feb, March or April are the best months for this as the water table will have dropped. Requires drilling deeper but will ensure water year round.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I thought it was best to leave bore drilling until the dry season. I've always been told Feb, March or April are the best months for this as the water table will have dropped. Requires drilling deeper but will ensure water year round.   

Make you right there Garry.

However, whatever level the water table is, the bore should be down at least 30 metres.

Getting the right spot for a bore is not always easy. Experienced eyes look at the land and make a calculated 'guess'. I've got 5 bores. One is unusable, but the others are OK. Checked the water level on each on a couple of years ago. All have water between 5 and 8 metres down.

In retrospect, with the oil palms, I did it all wrong in the early days. After drilling, I should have gone the solar route. Too late now. It's easy to be critical of others, and mostly of myself. But, If I could turn back the clock, I'd keep the oil palms (would not even have cut down 192 of them in farm 1), but would put the constant delivery of water at the very top of the essentials..

Oil palms are just like we humans. We have our night of pleasure, and 9 months later out pops the little one. In oil palms that period is between 18 and 20 months. Right now at the farm we are seeing the results of the weather 18/20 months ago. And it was very dry between Jan and March 2022. What happens to the palms when there is not the water - or nutrients - available? The would-be bunch of future nuts germinate as male. This is nature's way of protecting the tree from itself. A mature bunch of nuts weighs in as much as 40 kilos, and takes a lot of energy to maintain growth. These are female. A male growth weights half kilo, and requires precious little in the way of nutrients.

There is a lot to it. And as they say; 'A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.' Perhaps, if things had gone differently, the present money fiasco with the wife wouldn't be so devastating for the family.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I was told by a lovely young lass, many years ago, that I could water divine. Didn't know what she was on about til I came to Thailand.

Like the shaking of the sticks to get the lottery numbers. I could do with a win. About 6 million would be nice.

This was a popular way in some European countries more than hundreds years ago.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRI0l6BjFqswKGavz_SjL

Unnoticeably small movements of the hands will make the twig point where the dowser decides. Jeff Bezos subscribes to this superstition

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Flexible-Rotation-Paranormal-Questions-Etc/dp/B0B19Z89Q8

Still state of the art in the empire (I am a fan of UK, though - or maybe therefore)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/21/uk-water-firms-admit-using-divining-rods-to-find-leaks-and-pipes

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

This was a popular way in some European countries more than hundreds years ago.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRI0l6BjFqswKGavz_SjL

Unnoticeably small movements of the hands will make the twig point where the dowser decides. Jeff Bezos subscribes to this superstition

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Flexible-Rotation-Paranormal-Questions-Etc/dp/B0B19Z89Q8

Still state of the art in the empire (I am a fan of UK, though - or maybe therefore)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/21/uk-water-firms-admit-using-divining-rods-to-find-leaks-and-pipes

I've seen experiments where a line of buckets were covered. Only one had water. Different W Ders had a go. Results varied, from worse than a guess, to almost perfect. But this is not true W Ding.

Land has an energy. Some people can feel it, whilst others cannot. The presence of large volumes of water change the feel of the energy.

TBH, I don't know why the stick is important. Except that it exaggerates the person's movements.

Edited by owl sees all

19 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I've seen experiments where a line of buckets were covered. Only one had water. Different W Ders had a go. Results varied, from worse than a guess, to almost perfect. But this is not true W Ding.

Land has an energy. Some people can feel it, whilst others cannot. The presence of large volumes of water change the feel of the energy.

TBH, I don't know why the stick is important. Except that it exaggerates the person's movements.

I can sense how the energy of Isaan land makes its inhabitants one with its culture.   ????

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feng_shui

https://youtu.be/enKhkTmB0OQ?si=F8qXDKZCvLY_ET42&t=137

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

Mid dry here in Darwin Garry.

When I left on Wednesday morning the driller said he had 2-3lt/sec but might be there all week trying to clean it up, then said he might go deeper…

2 hours later he sent the above video, the key here is not always depth, it’s stopping at the right place, Dolomite being the preference (he extended from about 50 to 56m)

The bore I replaced had 5lt/sec @56-58m when drilled, but dirty water.

They went deeper to 107m but went through the Dolomite and found nothing and ended up making do back at 56-58m… but the bore was always problematic with possibly sabotage as well.

The crazy thing is that this new bore is only 10m from the old bore… ????????‍♂️

• Like 1