Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

A little footy teaser. In three parts. Can use Google, Yahoo or DDG. Or just guess. But yer might know the answers anyway.

1/ What was the first southern team to get a top 3 finish in the top league?

2/ What was the first London team to get a top 3 finish in the top league?

3/ What was the first southern team to win the top league?

Hint - all three are playing in the top two leagues this season.

Thailand got a very creditable draw in their last match against Estonia. 1-1 on Tuesday.

This is easily the best thread I’ve read on this forum. Quality posts, @owl sees all

Does anyone have recommendations for a village I can visit in Isaan that has a small hotel? I’d like to get out of the city to practice my Thai and spend more time talking with wonderful Thai people. 

Edited by whistersniff
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, whistersniff said:

This is easily the best thread I’ve read on this forum. Quality posts, @owl sees all

Does anyone have recommendations for a village I can visit in Isaan that has a small hotel? I’d like to get out of the city to practice my Thai and spend more time talking with wonderful Thai people. 

Thanks to our regular posters for making the thread so interesting.

There are two villages not so far away that I think would be good for a long rest.

One is Phibun Rak. The other is Sum Sao, on the 2022.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Owls are in deep poo poo.

Well, we have a new manager and his team in place now, I think he might just work a miracle, very strong Red Bull connections with him and his coaches, something going on I reckon.

Wish Mildred a belated happy birthday from me, as it happens it's the wife's birthday as well the 19th October. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Well, we have a new manager and his team in place now, I think he might just work a miracle, very strong Red Bull connections with him and his coaches, something going on I reckon.

Wish Mildred a belated happy birthday from me, as it happens it's the wife's birthday as well the 19th October. 

Let's hope they can pull themselves out of the mire.

I quite fancy them at Plymouth on Wednesday; 1-2.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Pigs tails look interesting. 

Just think of that poor pig running about without his tail.

As I say; I don't like to eat meat that comes from an animal with four legs. In fact I'm going off meat altogether. Even those insects.

• Like 1

Hi Owl, glad to see you sorted out the Pickup Problem.  could do with the AA here!

Got my passport back today, total time was about 3 weeks.

Dry season definitely here, all the yellow flower bushes have bloomed in the last week. My vegetable garden has dried out, time to start digging.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rickudon said:

Hi Owl, glad to see you sorted out the Pickup Problem.  could do with the AA here!

Got my passport back today, total time was about 3 weeks.

Dry season definitely here, all the yellow flower bushes have bloomed in the last week. My vegetable garden has dried out, time to start digging.

The pick-up, now known as the Maserati, or Mazza, is OK for now. The problem at your place was really my own fault. The connection to the positive was not secure, so it never charged when on the move. A new battery is the answer. I should have some spare dosh next year. I'll have to give the AA man a little something for his help; next visit.

Three weeks to get your new PP returned. That is quick! Mine took seven weeks earlier in the year. Have to do Mildred's soon; 2024 for that.

15 days since the last rain here. Mrs Owl reckons rain on Saturday afternoon. I'm not so optimistic. Hope she is right.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 6:28 PM, owl sees all said:

You are probably right there WB. As I move closer to nature, I appreciate it all the more. Al least in Thailand, the lovely veggies and fruits are 'relatively' clear of toxins.

However. in saying the above, a nice bit of bacon from a piggie that has spent it's life in the rain and sun, and grubbing about in the wood, could make me rethink. After all; I have strong principles, but if I have to, I can change them.

I thought the “accepted wisdom” was that Thai vegetables were loaded with every pesticide and herbicide known to man with a few experimentals thrown in “just in case” ? 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

I thought the “accepted wisdom” was that Thai vegetables were loaded with every pesticide and herbicide known to man with a few experimentals thrown in “just in case” ? 

You are probably  right there HP.

Personally, I'd rather eat a banana off a market stall here, than from a supermarket in the UK.

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Since globalisation, there are small chances to get local produce veggies or fruit,  from any squeeky clean supermarket in the west.

Just stick to the universal mantra.

"if you cannot cook it, peel it, boil it....forget it".....and you should hopefully, be fine.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 7:30 AM, owl sees all said:

If the Owls can't beat their lowly neighbours today, there is no hope for them. Easiest match to get points from, so far this season. Wednesday 2 - Rotherham 0.

Very good prediction Owl but unfortunately our Thai owner is out with the begging to pay HMRC, it's looking a bit bleak which is strangely todays Wordle. Do you partake in the NY Times wordle quiz Owl?

I used to race snails at one point many moons ago. I did have a particularly well bred snail that just wasn't very fast so I tried removing it's shell but it just turned out a bit sluggish. (Apologies if that's already been done).

Here's the Wordle if you haven't tried it. Just start at the top line with a five letter word and work your way down. If the colour of a letter remains the same then it isn't in the days "Wordle Word." If a letter goes yellow then it's in the days Word but in the wrong place. If a letter turns green then it's in the days wordle word and it is also in the correct place.

https://www.nytimes.com/games/wordle/index.html

Edited by sotonowl
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Very good prediction Owl but unfortunately our Thai owner is out with the begging to pay HMRC, it's looking a bit bleak which is strangely todays Wordle. Do you partake in the NY Times wordle quiz Owl?

I used to race snails at one point many moons ago. I did have a particularly well bred snail that just wasn't very fast so I tried removing it's shell but it just turned out a bit sluggish. (Apologies if that's already been done).

Here's the Wordle if you haven't tried it. Just start at the top line with a five letter word and work your way down. If the colour of a letter remains the same then it isn't in the days "Wordle Word." If a letter goes yellow then it's in the days Word but in the wrong place. If a letter turns green then it's in the days wordle word and it is also in the correct place.

https://www.nytimes.com/games/wordle/index.html

Was there that much difference last season between Ipswich and Wednesday? Tractors looking very good. Owls should, going on last season, be mid-table. But a win is a win and it's gonna be a steady climb up from now on.

I'll have a look at the wordie quiz Owl. Look interesting. There is one that I found in the week. I didn't do bad, but my 11 from 15 says I failed.

https://vaccinequiz.org/quiz/us/

Off to Udon in a few hours. A few things to do. Number one is get some cheese in. Then feed the fish in the pond opposite the VP store. Get my camera put in the Samsung shop. Take some pics at the Sum Sao Wal. And if I have time I'll pop in to get my visa extension.

Gonna charge up the Mazza battery before I leave.

Wednesday might have found the faith they were looking for, look at Leeds ! had a terrible terrible start to the season but once they got their confidence back they shot up to where they should be, although Leicester away this weekend might be a stretch for them.

How did you find the Anchor cheese ?, better than that Horeca ?,i bought another 2kg yesterday.

The only trouble with a half decent cheese is, eating way more than I should be doing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Wednesday might have found the faith they were looking for, look at Leeds ! had a terrible terrible start to the season but once they got their confidence back they shot up to where they should be, although Leicester away this weekend might be a stretch for them.

How did you find the Anchor cheese? Better than that Horeca?,i bought another 2kg yesterday.

The only trouble with a half decent cheese is, eating way more than I should be doing.

Did post at the beginning of the season that I thought all three relegated teams; Peacocks, Foxes and Saints, were all good enough to get straight back up. Well! As it stands they are all in with a shout for sure. Saints also had a terrible spell, but came through it.

Loved the Anchor cheese. Loved it more than the Horeca. And just like you Andy, if I have it, I eat it. Don't know about too much though. Will also be getting at least 2kg today.

Didn't Cliff Richard live on tea and cheese for 6 months, some years ago? And the dutch, only ate cheese for yonks. Is that's why they are the tallest people in the world? The pygmies, on the other hand, never ate any.

Yesterday I put the ice packs in the freezer ready for the cheese. These little poly boxes are great.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Didn't Cliff Richard live on tea and cheese for 6 months, some years ago? And the dutch, only ate cheese for yonks. Is that's why they are the tallest people in the world? The pygmies, on the other hand, never ate any.

Shall increase my cheese intake to see if I can add on a couple of inches ……. upwards preferably but more likely outwards ….. an ideal opportunity for the cheesy emoji 😬

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Shall increase my cheese intake to see if I can add on a couple of inches ……. upwards preferably but more likely outwards ….. an ideal opportunity for the cheesy emoji 😬

Don't think it works quite that fast Andy. It seems that the Dutch women like tall men. They would get hitched, and she would feed hubby lots of cheese. Their offspring would be that little bit taller, which was attractive to other tall people. And so it progressed. Now the average Dutch person (combined sexes) is around 6 foot. That's about 1.83m in Euro lingo.

Keep gobbling down that cheese bro, and your offspring could be taller than you. And the Gt Grandchildren; giants!

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Don't think it works quite that fast Andy. It seems that the Dutch women like tall men. They would get hitched, and she would feed hubby lots of cheese. Their offspring would be that little bit taller, which was attractive to other tall people. And so it progressed. Now the average Dutch person (combined sexes) is around 6 foot. That's about 1.83m in Euro lingo.

Keep gobbling down that cheese bro, and your offspring could be taller than you. And the Gt Grandchildren; giants!

Think I have missed the boat then, can’t see any future offspring coming from my loins !

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Think I have missed the boat then, can’t see any future offspring coming from my loins !

Just checked up on Dutch heights. Not quite as tall as I said originally.

My children back in the UK are all tall. Their mum was just middle size. One daughter is 5-11. Another is 5-10. When she came to visit us in 2019, I would see looks of surprise on Thai faces as we walked about.

Mildred is much taller than her mum, but there are a few girls taller than her at school; in the same year.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2023 at 7:29 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Great win at the Foxes last night Andy.

The three demoted teams; Saints, Peacocks and Foxes take up 3 of the top 4 spots in the Championship. Tractors doing very good.

• Like 1