Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

4 hours ago, sotonowl said:

On another note Owl, I see Dull didn't score yesterday so presume you bet was down. Could you let me know again what your bet was by email preferably, I might just have a pop at it. TIA

I'd already got in a decent double, and cashed that out for 33 squids. Looked at the stats. Don't know how Hull didn't get a goal.

That's life. I'll send the full details on email.

BTW; good result on Saturday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

The story of Cupid must be told differently in Thailand.

Spelt Aphrodite incorrectly. All makes sense now.

Just asked Mildred. She says that just as Eros was gonna shoot the arrow towards Psyche, a bolt of lightening came, causing him miss  Psyche, and shoot himself in the foot.

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Spelt Aphrodite incorrectly. All makes sense now.

Just asked Mildred. She says that just as Eros was gonna shoot the arrow towards Psyche, a bolt of lightening came, causing him miss  Psyche, and shoot himself in the foot.

I think it was Cupid (Roman God) that dropped one of his arrows on his own foot, thus falling in love with Psyche.

I'm pretty sure that Eros was a Greek God, with a similar story.

Now I need to go and check with Google.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I think it was Cupid (Roman God) that dropped one of his arrows on his own foot, thus falling in love with Psyche.

Don't bother poor old Google. Listen to me.

Cupid was an arrow. Eros was the shooter. The whole idea dreamed up by Eros' mum Aphrodite, to get Psyche - who she was big jealous of - to take the arrow and cause her to fall in love with an 'ugly demon'. The lightening struck and Eros shot himself.

But; now I'm thinking that the story gives us little sayings. Shot yourself in the foot. A bolt of lightning. Love at first sight. Don't aim for Psyche as she is above your pay grade, and you will only hurt yourself.

11 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I’ll check with the Concretor tomorrow… 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I reckon you nailed it CL. Just looked on 'Wiki'.

'''In the myth, she was given multiple trials in order to be with her beloved, Eros, also known as Cupid, god of physical love and desire and son of Aphrodite.'''

Great story; albeit a bit complicated, with birds turning into donkeys, and talking ants. I tried to read on, but got lost in the different storylines. I'll wait for the film to come out.

Just remembered, there is a big statue of Eros in London's Trafalgar Square.

5 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Owl, if your good at fixing pumps we have one down on the farm not working. You are welcome to it next time you come to Udon. If you can fix it, you win. If not, well it was free.

Thanks Rick, I'll have a look

Haven't forgot your pinkies. waiting to do a visit

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

It's Sunday the 17th of December 2023, and this is Owl Log.

The two cats and Robert like the new food. I'd not seen this particular flavour before; chicken and tuna.

catfood24.png.f7571e96ec174a95d797a8c0f88a732c.png

No sooner did the Lazada delivery come, and Big C dropped the price of their own-brand cat food to 32.5 baht a 400gm can. Works out at roughly the same price.

As soon as I go to feed the cats, Robert is there for a mouthful. Oscka is not so keen. He likes biscuit more.

robert.png.a11b95f38e36cea4f9a19a734768f7ef.png

Mrs Owl filled up ten bags of leaves and twigs. Time for me and Mildred to distribute the contents over the rice paddy area.

chuckleaves00.jpg.c0c70e036e369544b3af4b359e4c6114.jpg

I did the work. Mildred did the recording.

chuckleaves02.jpg.8f75571a1cd421e3ab51cd36754df117.jpg

Just throw them as far as possible.

chuckleaves03.jpg.4c4de8bdff363cbfba237161dd8d4c36.jpg

Go into the field - empty the contents - and do a bit of scattering.

chuckleaves01.jpg.ee89e1ed5487f7d88f895a8971ccd779.jpg

Another little job done.chuckleaves04.png.e085eadd6882ca1d2db343b5bbbcc47e.png

Didn't have so much luck with the water pump. Wasted so much time on it. Starts up easy; but will not pump.

waterpump01.jpg.fe59f8e9e63eecf8db761222ecb1a4c7.jpg

99 times out of a 100, the problem is on the inlet side. Only want a little hole for air, and it will not pump water up. But I've fixed up water pumps dozens of times, and this time I don't think the spindle is connected. Have four pumps altogether. I've decided to ditch the two smaller ones and replace with a new. Will get one this week.

What did we see, on the main drag, going into Ban Dung?

elephant00.png.1c5aba7426b4b1f70427da614e570a90.png

Stopped the Mazza to get a couple of pics.

elephant000.png.76e18e68c25252a28e47cf7653588109.png

Did promise myself that I would do road repairs this year. So,,,,.

fixroad0.png.4ae9de7d65d619d6e786c0ce46cfc861.png

Went to the stone place and filled up the Mazza with stone, block-grit and sand.

fixroad00.png.323118a77f91b886a0fba9e63867ad65.pngfixroad01.png.c042eb79c7b1eac9ffe3d513d1b7310e.png

Couldn't help noticing the new, huge tower.

fixroad11.png.82d329fa9a09410331c65d75aa2b84ad.png

It must be 70 metres high. Gonna sneak in there one day soon. Climb that ladder, and enjoy the views Maybe take some nice pics.

Then the road got a make-over.

fixroadxxx.jpg.e8366cb65a96cee045bde166e8ad01a5.jpgfixroadxxxx.jpg.f612dbc8c92cbe8ee48a7bece77856c7.jpg

Was rewarded with one of those special skies.

fixroadxx.png.5187f5e7c0628bf3526be3156aa3d08e.png

Mildred finished one of her paintings last week. I thought it was a cracker.

girlsintree.png.c95cee01c56ba70b22be148fbfa7eee8.png

Unfortunately there is no room on the wall. So took one down to make room for the latest.

newpic.png.4d6623425c6236fd3d125995fe86e02c.png

And up went 'Tree Girls'. Next to my favourite; 'Green Hair'.

wallpics.png.cd0b6e55b7992611c2c01e371d7cfc90.png

Patched up the Mazza door. Still not great. But it locks, and sometimes the leccy window works. Checked on the price of a new panel. Over 1,200 baht. Then there is fitting; although I could do it myself to save 100 baht.

doorchewed.png.74111f068a6707e47e7f37d8ad4687c0.png

Stopped at a food stall on the way back from Ban Dung. They had a lovely pet.

lizzard.png.9b39777f288690743204944c19260d1b.png

Biggest event of the week was cutting down a Palm tree.

cutpalm000.jpg.24259f767a51dccb652b5fa81d61861b.jpgcutpalm0000.jpg.6eaa1376929cc37e911fb79804ff12f1.jpg

One of the solar systems is going in this area, and the palm would have blocked the sun.

cutpalm00.jpg.920be14d5e7f34850e566f715cbe936a.jpg

Another reward earlier today. Beautiful Isaan sky.

decemberclouds.png.5d311bc3f9869712cef908f0dafaffb1.png

The solar cells systems are go, go go. Not gonna be cheap, but there is a few baht left over from the land sale. Drove through that farm this morning. Brought a lump to me throat; and a wet eye. But at least the wife's debts are paid off. So she can sleep more soundly. And a bonus; hardly any whacks this week. She seems happier.

Mildred has been selected to represent her year on an English something or other. She has to speak English in front of  a few hundred kids and narrate the story of 'Cupid'. I've learned something too. Cupid was an arrow, shot by Eros at Psyche (he missed) on the orders of Aphrodite (Eros' jealous mum). Feel much better knowing that. Hope they give her a mike, or no-one will hear the little mouse voice.

More points dropped at home by City. Are they throwing the EPL Title away? Owls beat QPR. Game at Cherries was abandoned due to a Hatters' player feeling very sick. Orient win away. Toon recover their winning ways.

Fixed up the rice-store door. Wire mesh all over the place now. That will stop those little rats and mouses feasting them selves rotten.

Just had a call from the car-fix place. They can get a door panel for just 300 baht; second hand. Mrs Owl did the chatting. She said ''no''. It was a beige colour and ours is grey. The search continues.

No rain since the first week in October. Water in the ponds has gone down about 40/50 cm.

Soo has just come for petrol for his cutter. This is to clear the area for the other solar system. The whole area is overgrown and needs sorting. Mrs Owl is not keen on me doing anything that is not flashy. As in gold, or handbags or a leccy scooter that she can go to Buddha on. It's less than 100metres away; but!!! That farm-sale dosh will soon be all gone.

Only one thing left to say; bye y'all. And thanks for the advice on how best to handle a Thai wife. I'm learning fast.

Well knock me down with a feather. The Thai lottery?! Nearly forgot to mention it. Drawn yesterday. Trust you all have a little win.

Bloody useless thing!!

water pump 00.jpg

Bloody hell Owl, buy yaself a belt or get some bailing string!!!!🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Bloody hell Owl, buy yaself a belt or get some bailing string!!!!🤣🤣

Quite right. I look terrible. Any young ladies perusing the thread will be turned off.

I do use a decent rope to keep the shorts up. Think the activity, stretched it a bit. Braces. Yup braces. The answer is braces.

belt.png.dd457c8e75223cfcfecb631cab12b222.png rope belt.

Years ago I was something of a fashion icon. Standards have dropped a little. But I'm still a bit conscious of my appearance. Went out wearing odd coloured sandals once; one red and one a sandy colour.. Mrs Owl refused to walk with me. Got a few whacks when we got home. Learned my lesson.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Quite right. I look terrible. Any young ladies perusing the thread will be turned off.

I do use a decent rope to keep the shorts up. Think the activity, stretched it a bit. Braces. Yup braces. The answer is braces.

Years ago I was something of a fashion icon. Standards have dropped a little. But I'm still a bit conscious of my appearance. Went out wearing odd coloured sandals once; one red and one a sandy colour.. Mrs Owl refused to walk with me. Got a few whacks when we got home. Learned my lesson.

If I remember correctly xylophone and village farang were catwalk types back in their days, Owl too it seems… 🤣😎

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

If I remember correctly xylophone and village farang were catwalk types back in their days, Owl too it seems… 🤣😎

I was never on the cat-walk. As in Naomi Campbell.

But I was always clean and tidy. And well respected for my colour coordination. However, I do like old clothes. Don't like new ones at all. Have a pair of shorts, in my drawer, that I bought in ASDA nearly 40 years ago. I like a nice hat too.

TBH, I don't like spending dosh on clothes. Not to say I like walking about like a tramp. Of course not. After all Thailand is not Essex. I have standards. I wouldn't eat in a nice restaurant with welly boots on. Things like that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Just remembered, there is a big statue of Eros in London's *Trafalgar Square.

*Piccadilly Circus.

Please stop making me look like a know-it-all.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for the Sunday post. The Isaan skies are great. I like the thunder clouds best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

belt.png.dd457c8e75223cfcfecb631cab12b222.png rope belt.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

*Piccadilly Circus.

Please stop making me look like a know-it-all.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for the Sunday post. The Isaan skies are great. I like the thunder clouds best.

Bang on the money again CL.

I was thinking about Nelson's Column.

I'm such a dunce.

9 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Mildred is getting quite good with her paintings….

She is sitting next to me, finishing off some school work that should have been done yesterday. I'll tell her.

Thanks for the appreciative words.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Very much confirming that you are indeed a man of some stature and bearing.

Was it Freddie Trueman who said that a gentleman was one who got out of the bath to have a piiss ?

It could have been Freddie.

My mate said the mark of a gentleman was one who said; ''More tea vicar'' when he let one go in the pub. He could be a tad crude at times. But that is better than looking around, making out it weren't you who did the nasty.

Of course Thai women don't have ta problem spotting a good un. No sir! They can spot a gentleman a long way off. After all a gentleman in Thailand ihas money. An old codger has a big heart, but is always skint. But i quite like the idea of them bringing a chair to the old un at the ATM machine.

My problem is that my big bank balance and my small waste have changed places over the years. And the wife has noticed.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Braces. Yup braces. The answer is braces.

Bought myself some last year. Fed up of going for a walk and finishing up with my jeans that far down my arris I could be mistaken for a teenager (well maybe not but you get my drift). Brilliant, problem solved. Not sure how they'd feel directly onto flesh though.

• Like 1

Nice to hear that Mildred is doing really well in English. One of my biggest regrets was only speaking Thai at home, resulting in my son being far from fluent. It just seemed more convenient for me as his mother didn't speak English so I only spoke Thai with her and I didn't switch to English with him. 

I thought the best time of year for drilling wells was the dry season as the water table is at it lowest then. Heard of people drilling too soon only to be without water heading into March. Having said that 48 meters does sound very deep. 

• Like 1