Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

It is getting noticeably colder. Have to wrap up after showering.

GF needs two blankets now in the village, I use one. More body hair.

I used to have a sign on the lawn of my house in Australia. It said " B##ger the garden, gone golfing".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

GF needs two blankets now in the village, I use one. More body hair.

I used to have a sign on the lawn of my house in Australia. It said " B##ger the garden, gone golfing".

Will not be long now. The little fires along the sois in the mornings.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

So did a few other things which seem to be the work of a deranged developer. I enjoy using alliteration.

Hey, looks as if the edit function made it back. Now for the post numbering. The biggie is My Posts or whatever, in the dropdown menu from the posters name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Unbelievable.

Don't try this at home folks!!

Good lord!

Well Quetzalcoatl the plumed serpent god would be pleased...

You know Faraday that Murakami quote of yours must be one of the best on ThaiVisa..it always prompts some philosophical musings..????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, faraday said:

Murakami has written some excellent books. I loved Norwegian Wood, & although not being a fan of love stories, I still think of it.

One of the many wonderful quotes from the book:

"Like my hairstyle?" she asked.

"It's great."

"How great?"

"Great enough to knock down all the trees in all the forests of the world."

Really worth a read, Ody.

Okay...the only one I have read is 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle' which I thought was truly "magical" and showed Murakami to be fully a master of his art.

I must get back to reading more novels again.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 10:29 AM, faraday said:

I've yet to eat snake; eaten rats & all the other wonderful treats that are peculiar to Issaan. Anyone tried 'em - 'spect they taste like fishy chicken? 555!

I've eaten snake at a restaurant in Rayong, tasted like sweet chicken. Larger variety, suspect it was from a python or something similar.

On 10/23/2020 at 12:59 PM, faraday said:

I've yet to eat snake; eaten rats & all the other wonderful treats that are peculiar to Issaan. Anyone tried 'em - 'spect they taste like fishy chicken? 555!

I did eat a Western Brown @ Menindee Lakes near Broken Hill back in the late 90’s, Chef was pretty ordinary...

Edited by HighPriority
Autocorrect has gone mad...
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I did eat a Western Brown @ Menindee Lakes near Broken Hill back in the late 90’s, Chef was pretty ordinary...

Yeah, I have heard the Broken Hill boys are pretty hard doers........

Took my Thai GF out to Silverton a few years ago to see the Mad Max display, saw a camel on the way.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 1:00 PM, owl sees all said:

Fascinating Ody. I've also tried a couple of delicacies from around the world. Some taste great, others not so.

Everyone who goes to Jamaica tries Ackee and saltfish; (the Jamaican national dish prepared with ackee and salted codfish.)  I once tried eating ackee  on its own in the Caribbean. Absolutely disgusting! Worse than durian or noni. But, mixed in with a salty fish; delicious.

I liked ostrich meat and the eggs. Would eat an egg for breakfast in Greece. Three of us would share one egg.

Love to make saltfish and ackee... shame ackee is hard to come by in our part of the world. 

• Like 2

Temperature has fallen, & it was 19°C this morning!

Bought a hoodie recently, & wore it for the first time this morning when I took the dog out. Lovely & warm.

Don't need the a/c on now, so next couple of months the leccy bill will be reduced considerably. Bet it's freezing cold in blighty..555! That & Covid - or whatever it is, it must be blooming depressing. Still, decent vino is way cheaper there.

In spite of all the Isaan foibles, life here is great!

What are wine prices like in 'orstraylia?

• Like 2