Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

54 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

You’ll need the food and bunker for when the orange one refuses to leave the White House...

Did anyone see the attempted hatchet job that Australian 48mins of putput and 12mins of commercials tried to do on that fella that lives in Germany ?

@Odysseus123 ?

You are right about the food and bunker HP. We are just a stone's throw away from the massive VoA site. If it kicks off under the Dem's, which it surely will somewhere or t'other, I just hope we can get underground if need be. Have a well seven metres deep.

Will The Don refuse to leave the White House? I'm not too sure about that at all. I think he will leave and vow to return in 4 years.

On a more serious note; Mildred's guitar arrived today. How's that for service? CoD. Only ordered it Saturday.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

You are right about the food and bunker HP. We are just a stone's throw away from the massive VoA site. If it kicks off under the Dem's, which it surely will somewhere or t'other, I just hope we can get underground if need be. Have a well seven metres deep.

Will The Don refuse to leave the White House? I'm not too sure about that at all. I think he will leave and vow to return in 4 years.

On a more serious note; Mildred's guitar arrived today. How's that for service? CoD. Only ordered it Saturday.

We always do CoD, that way you know it will arrive and not disappear into a ThaiPost black hole ????

• Like 2

21 hours ago, owl sees all said:

My man in the golf Masters is up there. Got him at 100-1 e/w. Come on Lee; hang in there. You can do it. I need some dosh.

Good luck with him Owl, he tires as the days go by, he really should have lost some weight a few years ago and he might have won a Major, hope he does it for you though.

13 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Good luck with him Owl, he tires as the days go by, he really should have lost some weight a few years ago and he might have won a Major, hope he does it for you though.

Look like he is out of it already. 

Only wanted top ten for a few bob. Useless!

13 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Great to see kids acting like kids and not like adults, it's truly refreshing. Not sure about young Yoyoka though, what you all think?

Yoyoka Soma. A star already. I'm sure she is destined for even greater things.

I agree Owl. Let kids be kids, do kid stuff and enjoy a kid's life. An adult for a long time.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Bloomin' heck Owl - centimetres, litres, kilogrammes, and percentages all in one calculation. Maybe your expectations are a tad high.

When Mildred was off school earlier in the year we did a lot of work on this stuff. Then she returned to school and 6 months later it's as though we never did anything in that direction.

The biggest problem I see, - and it must be the same in most Thai schools - is that Mil' will listen and nod away, giving the impression that all is understood. But, instead of saying "would you run that by me again teacher; I didn't quite get that," the pupil/student says nothing. It's only later that it's realised that precious little has sunk in.

I have to be careful. Tomorrow, I'll tread with care. Wouldn't want her to think that Maths is not beautiful.

Back to the original question (7x7x7). We have drawings and charts on the wall and I thought she understood what it was all about. Anyway; 7x7x7 = 343 divide by 10 = 34.3%. Easy Peasy.

Edited by owl sees all

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Back to the original question (7x7x7). We have drawings and charts on the wall and I thought she understood what it was all about. Anyway; 7x7x7 = 343 divide by 10 = 34.3%. Easy Peasy.

Edited 1 hour ago by owl sees all

Glad you think so Owl ???? my maths is carp, Pettits Lane Secondary Modern in Romford & the teacher who wore a gown, mortar board and the nastiest cane in the world made sure of that. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Glad you think so Owl ???? my maths is carp, Pettits Lane Secondary Modern in Romford & the teacher who wore a gown, mortar board and the nastiest cane in the world made sure of that. 

Pettits Lane eh! Round the back of Rafaels Park*. I was not far away in Dagenham Dock.

Romford people were posh to us. Even now, when I talk, people would know I came from Dagenham. Romfordonians had their own language. Us Dagenites could hardly understand 'em. Not that we wanted to; unless she was dressed in leather garb and liked to rough it. Virtually all our teachers came from the Romford area. They looked down on us, especially the Thames View lot. But we did have the Dagenham Girl Pipers and later Brian Poole; or was he Barking? Bobby Moore was also Barking (43 Waveney Road) and Martin Peters played for Dagenham Bethel. Don't know anyone famous who came from Romford (now in Havering). I do recall that Mark Lazarus settled in Romford.

I can remember cattle being sold at Romford Market. Is that market still going I wonder?

* Do you remember that dare-devil who would do the pole swaying in the park?

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Mildred finding the home-teach maths very difficult. Working on square and cubic measurement this morning. And the main stumbling question! We have a cube 7cm x 7cm x 7cm. What percentage of a litre or Kg is the cube; if filled with water? The answer is 34.3%. Mil couldn't work it out.

Yes, as it's 7x7x7=343cm3

The weight also follows as 343ml, as the definition of a kilogramme is one litre of pure water.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, as it's 7x7x7=343cm3

The weight also follows as 343ml, as the definition of a kilogramme is one litre of pure water.

Bang on the money, as usual, Bluesofa.

Have you a favourite mathematician?

My fav's are Pythagoras and Bernoulli. Just love their simplicity.

• Like 1