Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Temperature has fallen, & it was 19°C this morning!

Bought a hoodie recently, & wore it for the first time this morning when I took the dog out. Lovely & warm.

Don't need the a/c on now, so next couple of months the leccy bill will be reduced considerably. Bet it's freezing cold in blighty..555! That & Covid - or whatever it is, it must be blooming depressing. Still, decent vino is way cheaper there.

In spite of all the Isaan foibles, life here is great!

What are wine prices like in 'orstraylia?

You can get a decent red for about 200 baht. Jacob's Creek here for 600 baht is ridiculous.

Thai wine desperately needs some good winemakers to set them on the right path, it's probably the lack of technology and knowledge that makes the stuff here so terrible. Except they probably could not get work permits.

Smoke taint from the annual burn probably doesn't help either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

Name?

Chateau Les Maurins Bordeaux 2019, $10

It's actually a French import. Others come from the Griffith area, such as DeBortoli, Yarran and Casella.

Barossa, Rutherglen,Heathcote and Hunter valley are more expensive, $20 - $40.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You can get a decent red for about 200 baht. Jacob's Creek here for 600 baht is ridiculous.

Thai wine desperately needs some good winemakers to set them on the right path, it's probably the lack of technology and knowledge that makes the stuff here so terrible. Except they probably could not get work permits.

Smoke taint from the annual burn probably doesn't help either.

Only recently, I found out that there are vineyards here.

http://www.granmonte.com/our-wines.html

A bottle of Chenin Blanc costs 890 bt. Until I saw the price, I was tempted to buy a bottle, but it's way too expensive for domestic & relatively unknown wine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, faraday said:

Only recently, I found out that there are vineyards here.

http://www.granmonte.com/our-wines.html

A bottle of Chenin Blanc costs 890 bt. Until I saw the price, I was tempted to buy a bottle, but it's way too expensive for domestic & relatively unknown wine.

Wine prices here are due to the taxes, Thai logic at work. A very ordinary Australian red at 15% alcohol costs more than a bottle of Sangsom at 40% alcohol, go figure.

It is  a good time to buy in Australia. With a bad economy, and with China playing games with iron, cotton, and now wine imports, you can get a half decent wine in Australia, as Odysseus said,  for around $10 and a really decent wine from $20 up. Some nice wineries around here. 

China are saying that Australia is dumping wine or getting subsidies and sending general bad messages to the Chinese public about Australia.

I haven't eaten reptiles but when I was in Komodo I saw a big reptile eat a goat. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, faraday said:

Talking of young ladies from other countries...

"There was a young lady from Spain,

Who was violently sick on a train,

Not now & again, but again & again & again"

I won't however, mention the lady from Ealing...

????

There was a young lady from Scone,

Who went to the dentist alone,

In a fit of depravity,

He filled the wrong cavity,

Now she's nursing the filling at home.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Chateau Les Maurins Bordeaux 2019, $10

It's actually a French import. Others come from the Griffith area, such as DeBortoli, Yarran and Casella.

Barossa, Rutherglen,Heathcote and Hunter valley are more expensive, $20 - $40.

Who is selling it here in Thailand?  

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

How about something from the Renaissance-which only really occurred in my rural Aussie town (and Darwin) sometime early last year..

Whist Titian was mixing rosemadder

His model posed nude on a ladder..

Her position to Titian suggested coition

So he ran up the ladder and had her.

Remember that film with a young Helen Mirren and James Mason, "Age of Consent"? Quite shocking in its day, very tame now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Don't know, I was quoting an Australian wine page. Wouldn't get it for $10 here, more like $30-$40 with the taxes and middlemen.

So, you are saying you can get a decent red in Australia for 200 baht.  I thought you meant in Thailand, and was interested to know the name of the wine.  Apologies.  

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

So, you are saying you can get a decent red in Australia for 200 baht.  I thought you meant in Thailand, and was interested to know the name of the wine.  Apologies.  

No need to apologize, maybe my post was not clear.

If you want a decent red here, look for a Heathcote, Barossa or Rutherglen label, 1000 baht and up.

Jacob's Creek is a passable red, but even that is 700 baht the last time I looked.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bannork said:

It's weird still raining in Ban Dung at the end of October. Usually it ceases at the beginning of the month, regular as clockwork. But then it hardly rained at all in July. 

And the rain itself has been weird, not the usual heavy  monsoon stuff, more like drizzle, light drizzle at that mainly. Good for plant growth, nothing washed away or overwhelmed.

We seem to be catching the peripheries of these storms, though today the rain was persistent and hard at times.

This has to be the end of the rainy season. I 've got loads of cow dung that needs drying, plus it's time for the firewood to dry out as the brother- in- law and self move to sleep on the farm to guard the cows which are moving there too post rainy season.

I don't share your love of eucalyptus trees Owl but dried eucalyptus branches make excelkent firewood. All gentle flame, red glow and no smoke. Cows love to fall asleep next to one.

Brother-in law set up 2 nets over 2 of our ponds to catch birds 'liberating' our fish.

Caught Three culprits already, they made an excellent larp.

Last night the net caught an owl, an innocent victim perhaps, heading over the pond and got caught up. The  brother-in . law released it later..

We have had some rain today. Nothing much, especially compared to other areas.

Those storms that hit the Viet Nam coast and move west, look good on paper, but they seem to move south west before they hit Isaan. Ubon and Khorat seem to get our rain. Even Khon Kaen and the Surin and Burriram areas do OK. I also think the end of the rainy season is here. I'll be surprised if we get anything, other than a short sharp insignificant shower, from here on in.

I put a lot of effort into diverting excess water into our ponds when there was rain, so they are as full as they have been for some years.

Growing euca trees is a new thing for me. I had done a lot of research into them. I'll have to see how it goes.

They are generally doing OK. Planted in the first week in June. The top 100 or so are all at least two metres. And the bulk (90%) are over one metre.We have replanted about 100 to date. Some are poor, and I'll keep an eye on them. I think most of the immature ones. are due to the root ball breaking at planting time. They will be fine, but probably six months behind. The ones along the main road are also a bit of a disappointment. They were planted a month earlier, in May, and although growing, are not breaking any records.

I think the scent of eucas is very soothing; especially to cows. Pleased the owl was released.

• Like 2