Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

During Thaksin's time, eucalyptus was being pushed as the best thing since sliced bread.

Lots of farmers planted them as due to the lack of rain at that time, the ground was very dry.

Eucalyptus trees put their roots deeper and suck up the water from deeper in the ground.

It sounded great and initially it was. The downside was because the eucalyptus drew up water from deeper down, then there was just about no water left at all.

That meant that no other crops could be planted afterwards. I seem to remember that a figure of seven years was quoted as the time needed for the ground to recover after growing eucalyptus.

Disclaimer: Apart from quoting the above from memory, plus I know nothing (Mr Fawlty) about farming. So fire away if I'm wrong.

I think that's about a decent assessment.

Eucas are making a comeback. I've no intention of pulling them up. Unless of course, something better comes along. I just can't put in those eight hour shifts on the farm any more, so eucas suit me fine. And, importantly they are at least ten metres away for any pond. Wouldn't want my kois to think bad of me.

• Like 2

Just now, owl sees all said:

I think that's about a decent assessment.

Eucas are making a comeback. I've no intention of pulling them up. Unless of course, something better comes along. I just can't put in those eight hour shifts on the farm any more, so eucas suit me fine. And, also, they are at least ten metres away for any pond. Wouldn't want my kois to think bad of me.

29 minutes ago, don43451 said:

Thank you Owl (and all the other posters).

I just found your thread about 3 weeks ago and finally read all the posts.  Very interesting.  I really enjoy your writing style and sense of humor.

Just as an introduction, I'm retired US Army but not SF.  And yes, the US military retirement is pretty generous - unless your ex-wife is getting half of it.

I'm looking forward to the next 145 pages of posts.

Welcome to our humble thread.

Shame you were not special forces, but not to worry.

Just half. Mine took all.

I've had a couple of holidays, but still going strong.

• Haha 2

I know nothing about farming, so it's interesting for me to read everyone's input re different farming types & methods, trees, rice, cassava, sugar etc, my outlaws used to do quite well growing Lamyai & Longon (spl) plus a few other bits & pieces, however severe storms in the past couple of years have caused some severe damage to their large mature bountiful trees.

To that end they have decided to diversify into Durian trees, they had about 150 one metre tall plants already planted, I bought another 50 for them and thinking of buying some more for them, I don't know how long they will to wait for any fruit to appear & as her mum n dad are older than me by some margin I really hope they get to see the fruits of their labours. ???????? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I know nothing about farming, so it's interesting for me to read everyone's input re different farming types & methods, trees, rice, cassava, sugar etc, my outlaws used to do quite well growing Lamyai & Longon (spl) plus a few other bits & pieces, however severe storms in the past couple of years have caused some severe damage to their large mature bountiful trees.

To that end they have decided to diversify into Durian trees, they had about 150 one metre tall plants already planted, I bought another 50 for them and thinking of buying some more for them, I don't know how long they will to wait for any fruit to appear & as her mum n dad are older than me by some margin I really hope they get to see the fruits of their labours. ???????? 

You don't say what area the farming is done GT.

From my experience; durians do not do well in upper Isaan. Mrs Owl has tried on several occasions to get one to grow, and a lady near us planted 100 a couple of years back, only to uproot them in August this year.

Lack of water is the big enemy here. Think it was three years ago when it didn't rain from Nov' 4th until mid April.

Your area could well be different. Please take some pics and share.

Edited by owl sees all

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Got the family to send some pictures of their new Durian plants, I have a feeling it's gonna be a while before they start earning their keep if you get my drift ????

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they turn out to be healthy croppers, any advice welcome, thanks.

received_1019975618503014.jpeg

received_387957478912368.jpeg

received_919537075116775.jpeg

received_674925250124851.jpeg

received_1030867587385236.jpeg

received_357152665385655.jpeg

received_750953568790633.jpeg

They do look healthy GT.

I'm sure you'll be feasting on durian very soon.

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Got the family to send some pictures of their new Durian plants, I have a feeling it's gonna be a while before they start earning their keep if you get my drift ????

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they turn out to be healthy croppers, any advice welcome, thanks.

received_1019975618503014.jpeg

received_387957478912368.jpeg

received_919537075116775.jpeg

received_674925250124851.jpeg

received_1030867587385236.jpeg

received_357152665385655.jpeg

received_750953568790633.jpeg

Good photos.  Thanks.

That's one angry looking durian farmer.  ????

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

GT, I see they have beaten the Thai government to getting a submarine too.

That thing has been there for the last 9 years that I know of ???? That pond is pretty deep. Maybe about 

10 metres, there is no way I could get to the waters edge in previous years, now it would be a doddle ????

• Like 1

The rice combine harvester costs 650 baht a rai if the rice is flattened. 600 if upright. Some folks don't like the combine, picks up too many small stones, but hiring folks to harvest costs 350 baht a day per head plus lunch and booze and energy drinks.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 2:21 PM, Saltire said:

Very interesting post thank you.

I know nothing about Issan other than what I read in TV which I am guessing many posts can be somewhat distorted from reality. Why does Issan (and Issan girls) get mentioned more than most other provinces? Purely as many more expats have settled there? Genuine questions, just curious.

If I was to go have a look around Issan just for a break, where would you recommend? Somewhere with good food and decent hotels.

Also your decription of village life mirrors mine in Kanchanaburi apart from the fact that we are clearing our land as opposed to growing stuff. My wife and I fortunately share a dislike of farming and growing stuff. We are very rural and it seems life in rural Thailand does not really vary too much accross the coutry? Not sure if people would agree.

100% agree life in rural Thailand is certainly a daily magical mystery tour. Long may it continue.

OP keep them coming, it's a nice change from the cynical crusty posters.

I think that the farangs love with Isaan started in the early 60,s,when there were british troops,australian ,kiwi and eventually the yanks, thats when things started going to <deleted>, the brits out of neccessaty built a fishing camp at what is now pattaya ,they also opened barbo,s the first bar and brothel, the yanks were moving in to the naval base  at the time, so the rot was setting in,the first girls in pattaya were from Amnat Chareon and Mukdaharn, between 63 and 68 many soldiers married isaan ladies,must of the later larger US bases had built their own type of married quarters for imported isaan lady and Katoi companions for their troops,Ubon and Korat had 100,s of houses and 1000,s of mixed race fatherless kids in the early 70,s,many of the british soldiers married isaan ladies , and like myself  have been regular visitors ever since, anyone  in Bahn  Kok Samrahn area, raise a glass on sunday the 29 of november,in rememberance of Sapper James Box ,killed on this day in 1965  ,55 years ago, lest we forget

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannork said:

The rice combine harvester costs 650 baht a rai if the rice is flattened. 600 if upright. Some folks don't like the combine, picks up too many small stones, but hiring folks to harvest costs 350 baht a day per head plus lunch and booze and energy drinks.

I've never seen a harvester around our parts.

You are probably right about the harvester being better value for money. It must be faster too. There is sometimes a narrow window for harvest, so having to wait for the ladies, who are busy with other farms, is not good.

We are gonna keep the water in the paddy until the last days before cutting. Any thoughts on this bannork?

Edited by owl sees all

23 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Just holding a float between my knees to show the chop stick in the straw. Didn't think anything of it at the time. Now I can see that it looks like; a float between my knees.

Some vivid imaginations out there.

More like disgustingly dirty perverted one tracked imaginations.I always used to see faces in the coastal rock cliffs where I lived as well as the usual shapes in clouds and just about anywhere else.In the above photo I don't see clouds in the sunrise sky,instead I see islands with beaches in the sea.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

A well spotted ghost. Is that similar to the lesser-spotted ghost?

Reminds me of that hilarious Spike Milligan joke.

'Leopards are easily spotted.'

What happened to all that sophisticated humour?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Reminds me of that hilarious Spike Milligan joke.

'Leopards are easily spotted.'

What happened to all that sophisticated humour?

'Leopards are easily spotted.'   Only as long as you have the appropriate colour paint.

• Like 1