Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 10/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, owl sees all said:

We have had a cataclysmic catastrophe.

Mildred went to check on Mr Chicken to see if the glue had set. Picked it up by the head and:

726718359_chickentapedup00.png.981bc4537ed7186c745b5a58611880a3.png

"It is serious Dad. What can we do?"

"Serious indeed Mildred. I'll think of something. Don't cry dear."

Now there are a couple of options open to us. Patch it up with some tape, and give it to the lad (Poom) opposite us; then buy a new rubber chicken.  Patch it up with some tape, and keep it. Buy some better super-glue and fix it forever more.

My immediate thought was to buy a little 1/32 drill bit and put holes along each side of the breaks, and then sew it up. Pretty much like the chair. Could also use glue, with the sewing, for a really strong, professional job.

Not decided as yet. I'll spend some time thinking about it today. One thing's for sure I'm not keen on spending 60 baht on diesel, to get to Ban Dung, just to go to the 20 baht shop for another rubber chicken.

Being slightly metaphysical, I am contemplating if there are life lessons to be learnt here. There are two that drift into my mind. Don't let the chicken squawk too loudly when the Mrs is trying to get some shut eye. And; don't buy any more special super glue from the 20 baht shop. It's rubbish.

I was surprised in the first instance that cable ties weren’t your go to...

????

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:
It would be good to go overseas. Never been to Africa or the Caribbean. 
From tomorrow I can actually go more than 5km from my house and see friends.  We are down to 1 or 2 cases a day but still have some lockdown. It's a strange thing that due to lockdown rules - for 6 months, with a short gap in between,  the only people I have talked to face to face have been short chats with the neighbour and few seconds  with the  check out chick at the supermarket.
I like the old joke. The pretty check out chick smiles at the 55 year old. The 55 year old thinks 'I've still got it'. The check out chick thinks 'Nice man.. reminds me of grandpa'.
Girlfriends birthday today. Opened up the transferwise account and sent her something. They love MK in Ubon and will probably have a nice lunch. 
She's been working a bit so I can't complain. She does a couple of days per week selling her 'baisri' for the temple and selling flowers from Chiang Mai to uni students at their graduation. 
image.thumb.png.91e54ff3788723d1f9e2ffff70aff536.pngimage.thumb.png.16c7293d561cb4d82decbaa6c3ac3d92.pngimage.png.865d9ad20898330e851d3c1b4ba41919.png

Well good enough to enter into the 2020 pic' competition.

They are really good.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Thanks, Owl. I get it. Nit noi, nit noi every 10 minutes. 

There was a drinking culture in the village; and surrounding villages when i arrived. When the military came in, I think easy money gradually get a little harder to come by, and the big drinking seemed to have stopped. There are only a couple of regular drunks in our village at the mo'. They don't bother anyone though.

But, going back to Nang's shop. She must do at least 30 shots of 10 baht Lao khao a day. This is to kill off any bacteria in the gut of course.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

There was a drinking culture in the village; and surrounding villages when i arrived. When the military came in, I think easy money gradually get a little harder to come by, and the big drinking seemed to have stopped. There are only a couple of regular drunks in our village at the mo'. They don't bother anyone though.

But, going back to Nang's shop. She must do at least 30 shots of 10 baht Lao khao a day. This is to kill off any bacteria in the gut of course.

My GF buys lao khao 2 litres at a time, then splits it into 250 or 100 mL bottles. sells it to the neighborhood, haven't found out the profit margin. I have noticed a couple of the older men have quit drinking.

I understand there was another family that was doing the same, but they got caught watering the lao khao down. Lost all their customers when the word got around.

Did you know gasoline in the villages may be watered down too? Some sharp operators have noticed the ethanol content enables addition of some water without it separating into two phases of liquid. However, if the water drops out in the customers' tank, you have some angry customers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I feel I have to explain just a little.

When it is Mildred's bed time Mr Chicken is asked to give a squawk. This is the signal for bed.

Mrs Owl was dozing in the chair. I thought she was watching the TV. It was 8-30 and time. Mr Chicken gave out an out-of-character, exceptionally loud squawk, which set the Mrs off. She grabbed Mr Chicken from me and promptly dissected it in the kitchen. And then; the ultimate insult. Threw it in the rubbish bin.

Everything seems OK for now. We will see at 8-30 this evening.

It looked like a clean cut which means she must have wielded the chopper with some relish.

If there's any possibility of Mr Chicken getting a squeeze I would hide the chopper.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I am stuck in Melbourne for the time being. 

I got out of there back to Thailand with about two weeks to spare before the blocks came down in both countries. I'd be climbing the walls by now, or in a straitjacket.

According to my son, the problem is people are willfully disobeying the regulations in place. He lives in Olinda, where there are many tourists and cyclists getting the stinkeye from locals, as they have clearly gone more than 5 km to get there. Or take the one infected guy who traveled to Shepparton, causing mass testing there.

Also, he says the issue of suicide numbers and mental health is being carefully kept in the background. Not a comfortable place to be right now, good luck.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I got out of there back to Thailand with about two weeks to spare before the blocks came down in both countries. I'd be climbing the walls by now, or in a straitjacket.

According to my son, the problem is people are willfully disobeying the regulations in place. He lives in Olinda, where there are many tourists and cyclists getting the stinkeye from locals, as they have clearly gone more than 5 km to get there. Or take the one infected guy who traveled to Shepparton, causing mass testing there.

Also, he says the issue of suicide numbers and mental health is being carefully kept in the background. Not a comfortable place to be right now, good luck.

Thanks Lacessit. I won't go on into a  Covid discussion, but patience is really wearing thin, due to so few cases. Today is a big day and hopefully next week businesses will open up.

I was brought up in Olinda for 10 years so know it well. Beautiful place. I lived along time in St Kilda but now am back in the hills. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Sorry to be pedantic ...

Firstly - it's a chicken.

Secondly - Frankenstein was the doctor, not the monster.

But, I concede that both the above are funnier than Owlenstein's Monster.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

There were some hats on a rack outside the shop. I picked the hat, After trying on a few, I took the red one into the shop, which is a chemist. I was going in there anyway to get some reishi strips, to make my brews. I saw a new lady at the counter. About 30, slim, and smart in her white attire. How much for the hat dear? "Baht; hoc sib gow." That's 69 to me. One of my favourite numbers. 

Took my pink hat off and put on the red. She smiled and told me; "You hansum man now." I parted with my dosh and left.

She's gagging for it Owl, get back there and do your duty.

• Like 2