German tourist killed, struck by parasail speedboat propeller, off Kamala

rooster59

German tourist killed, struck by parasail speedboat propeller, off Kamala

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1574440387_1-org.jpg

The parasail speedboat was heading back to shore when the accident occurred at about 4pm. Photo: Kamala Police

PHUKET: A 63-year-old German tourist died this afternoon (Nov 22) after he was struck by a speedboat propeller while swimming off Kamala Beach.

Thalang Police Chief Col Sompong Thiparpakul reported that the accident occurred just before 4pm.

Col Sompong identified the tourist as Helmut Prock, 63, originally from Dietfurt an der Altmühl in the Bavaria region.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/german-tourist-killed-struck-by-parasail-speedboat-propeller-off-kamala-73720.php#osM27iKxsEd5ZoVw.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-11-23

• Sad 4

If the poor victim was properly chipped an alarm could of sounded on the boat and the collision avoided. 

RIP  Both the swimmer and the boat driver share the blame.

Since arriving in Thailand in 2002 and seeing the raw sewage being pumped into the ocean (at least in Pattaya) I’ve given the sea a hard pass. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pattjock said:

I'm not sure about this case but everywhere I see parasail activity there is only one guy in the speedboat. There is no way he can keep an eye on the water in front of him and the person in the parasail. How the authorities can allow this practice is beyond belief.

I've also been on Patong beach where we had to run for shelter because of the line of a parasailer going over the beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Percy P said:

But why does the boat have to sail so near to the beach knowing that there is a good chance that someone is bound to be in the water. Isn't the sea large enough.

...all the passengers have to swim out the boats ??? I'm not sure you thought your comment through quite carefully enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Percy P said:

But why does the boat have to sail so near to the beach knowing that there is a good chance that someone is bound to be in the water. Isn't the sea large enough.

They want to get attention from customers who want to parasail by going as close the shore as possible, hoping the swimmers getting out of their way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What should the authorities do in this case? Put up a sign togheter with the already visible line in the middle of the water?

The authorities should review industry practices and consider changes to increase safety. It is 100% clear that current practices are not at industry best. Once standards are set, authorities need to routinely assess individual operations for compliance.

herein we see culpability everywhere. The tourist lacked situational awareness. The operator acted negligently. The authorities do little to set and maintain standards.

• Like 2