Fee for moving stamps from old passport to new passport?

On 11/23/2019 at 1:02 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is no official fee but some office want 500 baht to do it. Not sure if if Udon asks for it or not.

so when I receive my new passport do I have go to the immigration to move the expired date stamp to new one or wait till I fly out just show them the old and new passport  thanks

26 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No. It's plainly obvious that you need the stamps transferred.

Some immigration offices requires the letter from an embassy,and I have heard about embassies that stamps something in the passport instead of the letter.

29 minutes ago, patrick1968 said:

so when I receive my new passport do I have go to the immigration to move the expired date stamp to new one or wait till I fly out just show them the old and new passport  thanks

You can do it at the airport when leaving if you want. If you do it at an immigration office, they will just transfer the last entry stamp and the last extension.

5 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Re my previous post...I don’t have a letter from the embassy,do I need one?

Yes. It is a letter that says "Hello, we changed to a new passport, please assist the holder to make it legit"

That's basically it.

When you apply for a new passport, they cut the corners of the old one when you collect it, and normally give that letter as standard. At least at the Belgian Embassy.

Today... this Monday morning... Went to Udon Thani Immigration, as they opened for the day, to "move my stamps" from the old passport to the new passport.

I handed in the letter from the US Embassy, which was clearly expected.

NO photocopies were requested, nor did I pay for any of the photocopies they generated.

NO TM28, nor any other form nor documentation of any sort was requested.

10 years of passport history got summarized into TWO PAGES in the new passport, much of it in handwritten form.

The old TM6 Arrival Card, as well as the CURRENT 90 Day Receipt paper simply got moved to my new passport, so there was no change in the cycle of the next need to report for the 90 day.

At the conclusion, the fee of 500 Baht was requested, quite routinely, and the money and my passports were taken to the rear office, behind closed sliding glass doors.

No receipt was offered for the 500 Baht fee, and none requested.

EVERYTHING DONE in 30 minutes, from in the door to out the door, all quite polite and pleasant, with smiles abounding.

Thanks to everyone here (H/T to UbonJoe) for all the terrific help and advice preparing me for this mission. 

Take care, ❤️

Pawpcorn

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Ref. Hua Hin immigration..... went to renew my extension retirement visa in May..... passport expires January 2020.

visa issued up to expiry date of passport. I.O told me to bring both old and new passports for new extension in January.

back to U.K....new passport Issued....I return in December,and will renew as advised by IO in January.

any issues/advice,please? Thank you

20 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Re my previous post...I don’t have a letter from the embassy,do I need one?

Nope, if you got new pp back home there obviously won't be an embassy letter ... 

Travel with both pp's & make sure they stamp you in in the new pp - old one should be invalidated anyway - then the new pp is in their system too ... later you can visit your local immigration profit-center to do transfer of still relevant stamps/info. 

you should have received in the same envelope with your passport a letter from the embassy requesting transfer of all your current stamps to your new passport. I am not familiar with Ubon immigration but in Bangkok there is no charge for this service. I just did my recently. good luck brother, and merry Christmas to you and your family.

7 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

Nope, if you got new pp back home there obviously won't be an embassy letter ... 

Travel with both pp's & make sure they stamp you in in the new pp - old one should be invalidated anyway - then the new pp is in their system too ... later you can visit your local immigration profit-center to do transfer of still relevant stamps/info. 

If immigration at the airport transfered the last extension stamp,then no need to visit the local immigration office. Several offices requires the letter when transferring the last entry stamp and the last extension to a new passport. 

1 hour ago, Flyfish said:

Many thanks for the kind responses, especially “hangman”, who has picked up my new passport was obtained in UK,therefore no letter....and not needed. Best wishes to all.

If you don't have any stamps needed to be transferred to your new passport,why the 20 questions? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No. It's plainly obvious that you need the stamps transferred.

Incorrect. Thai imm needs authority from embassy to transfer info and stamp into new pp. Without the letter it would be rare for them to do anything.

Late August took my new U.S. passport and old passport to the HHIO (Hua Hin Immigration Office).  Retirement visa expiry was 3 Nov; asked them to realign my 90 day report to 3 Nov.  Entry and last visa stamps were transferred.  IO said 500 THB.  No receipt.  I did visa on 9 Oct and 90-day on 3 Nov.  That was my experience and staff seem to start about 0900 with only 2 of 6 desks open. Standard fees paid for visa extension and single reentry.

Terry