Quality Dental on the Cheap. Where and How?

LetsCleanUpTHAILAND

Do you guys know? 

(1) cheapest and best dental insurance to have in Thailand? 

(2) where to go for cheapest and best dental care in Bangkok or Central Thailand? 

About me. I need 20k of work done: private hospital and signature smile dental both quoted me at same price - about 9k for root canal and another 9k for a crown. 

Yes, I have health insurance. Yes, it included some dental but just for minor stuff and I've used it up for cleanings.  The amount provided by the insurance was very small - i get universal health care because I'm an employee of the Thai government. 

Getting back to the point - #1 and #2. Any suggestions? ???? 

Edited by LetsCleanUpTHAILAND
emotion

Be wary of the root canal scam in Thailand.  Maybe it is really needed for you, but it seems they just add it as a matter of course for anyone with the need for a crown/big filing. I had it diagnosed for a crown I wanted done at a very reputable place in Chiang Mai and I refused - they would not do the crown without the root canal treatment so I walked out (I have had a lot of crowns done - decided to stop the 3-5 year filling cycles).  Went to another dentist (trained in Aust) and root canal scam was never mentioned.  Did you pay for XRays and get them? Take them to another dentist and ask what they think is needed - dont mention root canal.  If they say you need it - ask exactly why and where that shows on the xray. If it is true then you probably need it - or after the crown the tooth pulp/nerve will rot. 

Look at the dentist and where were they trained - big indicator of quality.  Make appointment for that dentist - do not accept whoever they give you.  Plenty of good dentists in Thailand - many are well trained and many have been overseas. Check websites and maybe even walk in and look at their credentials on the wall.  No credentials - dont use them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Be wary of the root canal scam in Thailand.  Maybe it is really needed for you, but it seems they just add it as a matter of course for anyone with the need for a crown/big filing. I had it diagnosed for a crown I wanted done at a very reputable place in Chiang Mai and I refused - they would not do the crown without the root canal treatment so I walked out (I have had a lot of crowns done - decided to stop the 3-5 year filling cycles).  Went to another dentist (trained in Aust) and root canal scam was never mentioned.  Did you pay for XRays and get them? Take them to another dentist and ask what they think is needed - dont mention root canal.  If they say you need it - ask exactly why and where that shows on the xray. If it is true then you probably need it - or after the crown the tooth pulp/nerve will rot. 

Look at the dentist and where were they trained - big indicator of quality.  Make appointment for that dentist - do not accept whoever they give you.  Plenty of good dentists in Thailand - many are well trained and many have been overseas. Check websites and maybe even walk in and look at their credentials on the wall.  No credentials - dont use them.

They each do their own xrays" on the spot (my experience), you also can see on the screen what they are seeing.

Dental schools in Thailand Universities have improved, but most have either or post grad qualification from Switzerland/Uk/USA/AUST

Been to great ones both in Chiang Mai  and Phitsanulok

Cheap unfortunately sometimes is a case "you get what you pay for"

It is your dental health, which is the first part of intestinal and nutritional health 

Would you want the cheapest cardiologist??

Edited by RJRS1301

1 hour ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

(1) cheapest and best dental insurance to have in Thailand? 

Have never heard of anyone having dental insurance here - unless as you mentioned as a limited part of full coverage policy - normally only paying emergency or cleaning type bills.

(2) where to go for cheapest and best dental care in Bangkok or Central Thailand? 

Shophouse or government hospital for cheap - better multi doctor facility/hospital for better.

About me. I need 20k of work done: private hospital and signature smile dental both quoted me at same price - about 9k for root canal and another 9k for a crown. 

That appears to be a very good price to me.  My crowns normally cost about 25k.  Good dental care is not that cheap here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Could you please share this dentist's name & clinic.  Agree with you about root canals.  I also think some insist on crowns when a filling will do.

Recommended Clinic in Chiang Mai:  https://www.dentalworldchiangmai.com/home-eng.html

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Dental+World/@18.7804983,98.9917941,19.08z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sdentist!3m4!1s0x0:0x6145ea5dbbec613a!8m2!3d18.7808411!4d98.992437

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

I had a crown done there (Dr Pattarika Angasith) and would also recommend them.  Even though I live in BKK now I wouldn’t hesitate to fly up to CM in the future if I needed more work done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

I agree with most of what you say. But I don't think that most dentists would push for a root canal if its not necessary. Its correct that you should look at credentials on the wall and see if they do other courses. I personally think its good to choose a dentist aged in 30s or 40s. Some of the older ones are behind the times with their methods and technology. eg I know an old dentist who will do an implant using a film xray- obviously a 3D should be used!

A lot of folk dont know that Thailand now has a private university just outside of bkk. This uni offers the 6 yr dental degree to wealthy kids who cant make it (didnt get the marks!) into the government unis in big cities. The quality of the graduates from the private unis are not good. The bright students who got into the govt unis are contracted to work x yrs at a govt hospital after graduation. They are supervised by senior dentists for many yrs. The grads from private unis are not allowed to work at govt hospitals. They just go straight into private clinics and learn from there. 

To the OP... if you are a government worker you're entitled to claiming the 900 baht social security scheme. You just need to find a clinic that is registered on this scheme with the govt. 9k for crown seems ok. 

• Like 1

No stand alone dental insurance here. Some private insurance policies (more often international than Thai ones i.e. international expat policies) have optional dental cover but at costs that usually make it not worthwhile.

Best source of least expensive dental care in Bangkok would be Mahidol University Dental hospitals, there are 2, one in central Bangkok and one in Salaya (Nakhon Pathom).

https://dt.mahidol.ac.th/en/

(click on "hospital")

However the savings will be small and mainly for the root canal, with a crown it is the prosthesis that accounts for most of the cost and won't be much different at a government facility. You may save altogether around 3,000 baht vs the private places you mention and may have to go on a wait list.

Actually 9K is quite low for a crown, I would be concerned re quality.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, advancebooking said:

A lot of folk dont know that Thailand now has a private university just outside of bkk. This uni offers the 6 yr dental degree to wealthy kids who cant make it (didnt get the marks!) into the government unis in big cities. The quality of the graduates from the private unis are not good. The bright students who got into the govt unis are contracted to work x yrs at a govt hospital after graduation. They are supervised by senior dentists for many yrs. The grads from private unis are not allowed to work at govt hospitals. They just go straight into private clinics and learn from there. 

I didn't know that, but would not be surprised.  Can you advise what the name is please.

On 11/23/2019 at 4:14 PM, AussieBob18 said:

I went to a private hospital. I got x-rays, but I'll do more research about root canals and when it's necessary to get them. Thank you for taking the time to reply! 

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2019 at 4:50 PM, Airalee said:

Cheapest is never the best and the best is never the cheapest.

Have you ever seen what bad dental work is like?  My brother opted for cheap with his GF and ended up getting it redone.

Cheap is never the best, I can agree with that. I guess I'm asking for the "best value" dental care. ????

On 11/23/2019 at 5:03 PM, RJRS1301 said:

They each do their own xrays" on the spot (my experience), you also can see on the screen what they are seeing.

Dental schools in Thailand Universities have improved, but most have either or post grad qualification from Switzerland/Uk/USA/AUST

Been to great ones both in Chiang Mai  and Phitsanulok

Cheap unfortunately sometimes is a case "you get what you pay for"

It is your dental health, which is the first part of intestinal and nutritional health 

Would you want the cheapest cardiologist??

Great point. I meant to say "best value" dentist. affordability without sacrifice of quality of workmanship. Can you recommend any in Thailand? 

On 11/24/2019 at 11:14 AM, advancebooking said:

I agree with most of what you say. But I don't think that most dentists would push for a root canal if its not necessary. Its correct that you should look at credentials on the wall and see if they do other courses. I personally think its good to choose a dentist aged in 30s or 40s. Some of the older ones are behind the times with their methods and technology. eg I know an old dentist who will do an implant using a film xray- obviously a 3D should be used!

To the OP... if you are a government worker you're entitled to claiming the 900 baht social security scheme. You just need to find a clinic that is registered on this scheme with the govt. 9k for crown seems ok. 

You're correct. Already used my 900B on a cleaning ????

Best value would be Mahidol Dental Hospitals in Bangkok area. There are 2, one in central Bangkok near Victory Monument and one out in Salaya, other side of the river past Thonburi

However what you save in money you may sacrifice in convenience as like any Government Hospital there can be long waits.

https://dt.mahidol.ac.th/en/mahidol-international-dental-school/dental-hospital/

With a crown the main cost s the crown itself so government vs private won't differ that much. Root canal will differ as that is mainly labor.

However the quote you got is already quite cheap. In fact the 9K for the crown sounds too low, I would be considered re quality.

On 11/27/2019 at 8:48 AM, Sheryl said:

Best value would be Mahidol Dental Hospitals in Bangkok area. There are 2, one in central Bangkok near Victory Monument and one out in Salaya, other side of the river past Thonburi

However the quote you got is already quite cheap. In fact the 9K for the crown sounds too low, I would be considered re quality.

I use the Mahidol university hospital at Victory monument. I find their work good, but there can be a queue for a root canal (and a long wait between visits - this caused me a problem with one of my root canals, and I had to go to a private clinic to finish that work because my root canal teatment hadn't finished and part of the tooth had become broken. So I don't recommend them for treatment that requires severnal visits that need to be close together. 

I think the cost of the crown would largely depend on its gold content. At the private clinic I used, I got one for 8000 baht, but no gold content. And another one for 16000 baht that is 50% gold content.