Cannot see entrance stamp on passport

I entered Thailand visa exempt Nov 19 at BKK but the entrance stamp cannot be seen!  I know that the IO stamped the pp as I watched him flip back a page from where there were two previous stamps and he stamped in between old stamps from last year.  I thought that strange but did not notice until later that there was no inked stamp.  Even under bright light I cannot tell the area was ever stamped.  Did the stamper have a mechanical problem that the IO did not see at the time?  The TM 6 stamp came out fine, so at least I have that as a written record of my entry.  I presume the computer system has recorded my entrance, but should I expect any issues when I leave the country by having an apparently no entry stamp in my pp?  

Thx

For the record, this was my third visa exempt entry into BKK for the year with no hassles.  I am 64 and from the US.  

1 hour ago, FLhawk said:

The TM 6 stamp came out fine, so at least I have that as a written record of my entry.

Protect that TM6 with your life. Though highly unlikely, it may end up being the only proof of when and where you entered Thailand. A charge of illegal entry would be a serious matter. In your position, I would probably visit immigration (preferably Chaengwattana) as a demonstration that you are on the level.

• Like 1

They don't just stamp the passport, they also have to sign it with their initials.

I looked at my passport and they appear to have stopped writing down the flight number some time ago.

So you're looking for some writing which will be where the stamp is / should be.

No IO writings where the missing stamp is. But the other 2 Thai entry stamps from a year ago on that page are also missing IO writings.  But I see what markings you are talking about. 

I have tickets from an outgoing flight from BKK to Phuket a few hours after arrival and EVA can verify I flew in. Plus the TM6, and hotel records from Phuket. And my Thai GF met me at the airport, and surely immigration recorded my entrance electronically, so I see this as a mechanical failure of their stamper and of the IO to not sign off. I mean, I didn’t just show up at BKK out of the blue!  

So a hassle for me but likely no deportation.   I hope. 

I am flying back in to BKK this afternoon. The gf will be with me so i hope to get it cleared up today. Where at BKK should I go? 

thx again. 

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

They don't just stamp the passport, they also have to sign it with their initials.

Isn't it a process of 2 stamps and 2 hand written entries?

The Entry Stamp, with current date.

The 'Admitted Until' Date.

And written, IO's initials and Visa Class. 

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Isn't it a process of 2 stamps and 2 hand written entries?

The Entry Stamp, with current date.

The 'Admitted Until' Date.

And written, IO's initials and Visa Class. 

I think it varies by visa, they did hand write both the exit date and the visa type on my latest entry but I would assume they have a stamp for tourist visas / visa exempts as there's so many of them coming through.

12 hours ago, FLhawk said:

I am flying back in to BKK this afternoon. The gf will be with me so i hope to get it cleared up today. Where at BKK should I go? 

At @ubonjoe advised the standard place is Chaengwattana. However, if you are passing through the same airport where the error occurred, I would see if you can get it resolved there.

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

How big is this issue?

What can really happen? 

That there is no stamp is one thing, but if for some reason the IO did not input the arrival in to the computer / there is no record in the main Immigration computer of the person arriving, then it's a huge issue that could require a lot explaining and take a bit of time and effort by Immigration to get to the bottom of. (And I'd hate to make the effort to go to Immigration to deal with this issue only to get an IO who was having a real bad day.....!)

23 minutes ago, mstevens said:

That there is no stamp is one thing, but if for some reason the IO did not input the arrival in to the computer / there is no record in the main Immigration computer of the person arriving, then it's a huge issue that could require a lot explaining and take a bit of time and effort by Immigration to get to the bottom of. (And I'd hate to make the effort to go to Immigration to deal with this issue only to get an IO who was having a real bad day.....!)

Well they have cameras everywhere and they also take fingerprints and a photo so it wouldn't be hard to prove when he passed through Immigration if they couldn't find him in the system (for some odd reason).  He should have his boarding pass and his arrival/departure card so he should be fine but I agree he should bring it to their attention asap to cover his a**.

Edited by MeePeeMai

7 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Well they have cameras everywhere and they also take fingerprints and a photo so it wouldn't be hard to prove when he passed through Immigration if they couldn't find him in the system (for some odd reason).  He should have his boarding pass and his arrival/departure card so he should be fine but I agree he should bring it to their attention asap to cover his a**.

They also scan the passport on arrival. I have a hard time believing that there will be any kind of problem when leaving the country. I also have a hard time believing that the stamp worked perfectly when stamping the departure-card, but suddenly malfunctioned when stamping the passport and the officer didn't even notice it. 

• 1 month later...

I never followed up on my posting, so here it is.

I am officially a blind idiot.  The visa stamp was indeed on the passport, just not is a logical place.  When I was showing another person the missing stamp and going through all of the pages yet again....well, there it was.  Sigh.  Oh well.  Thank for your all's help.  

For information, I entered TL 6 times in 2019 visa-exempt.  Two times I re-entered TL after a few days absence to go to China and to Singapore (for a cruise with the GF).  No problems whatsoever with Immigration, though I am of retirement age.  Never overstayed or extended.

• Like 1