Tourists visiting national parks at New Year must have bags to carry their garbage

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Tourists is not a good word to use in this instance. You are not a "tourist" to a national park, you are a visitor. I took it to mean all visitors, foreign and Thai. If they had just said visitors a lot of confusion would be avoided.

I am not allowed to speak thai language on this thread.

But Thais talk about “tourist” visit the national park they are saying in because they are “tourist” having a “tour”.

is not some attack on foreigner like Fex imagine. Sure. 100%. The thai only listen to Thai language news and NOBODY say or think is the foreigner. 

3 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Good luck with that. We 'rent' our mango trees out to a village farmer because its too much work for us old people. He employs other men and women to spray trees and weeds, cover young fruit with bags and to harvest. I later find bottles stuffed under leaf piles, bags tucked in dying banana trunks and plastic cups dropped in the long grass. How you get people here to take out what they bring in I dont know. I have tried and failed.

I  could add to that by mentioning the  empty containers of the chemicals  used that are left behind that I see regularly. Often right beside a water source.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourists visiting national parks at New Year must have bags to carry their garbage

Wouldn't it be better to supply Decent rubbish bins one has to pay Fee , sometimes a double Fee. Oh no that would be to easy .Now  most tourists will will dump their plastic rubbish bags (the ones they are trying to stop people from using) outside the park gate .There will a trail of rubbish for miles to deter the next tourists from coming back. One can't fix Stupid 

The latest victim was a wild deer.  An autopsy found its stomach contained about seven kilogrammes of trash, mostly plastic, which included single-use plastic bags, male underwear, plastic rope, rubber gloves, coffee sachets and instant noodle bags.

Sounds like the deer had a fetish.

4 hours ago, jaiyen said:

I bet most of them will dump the rubbish very soon after leaving the park either by the roadside or in the first village they come to.

Its done now. I'm an English tourist I walk up to the hospital in the village I spend  some time in. Its open country side very few houses. On the way to the hospital in the village about 300 metres I collect  the rubbish which has been thrown out of cars. I can see the same thing happening with the litter from the National Parks. 

Why can't the parks have a bin tourists can drop thei garbage in as they go out.

But in all seriousness,  IMO I think a good idea.  Having to carry out your waste highlights how much <deleted> you have. Hopefully it make people conscious of their waste and think of alternatives.

All that assumes that they won't just dump the rubbish as soon as clear of the national park. But I would like to remain optimistic.

2 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

But in all seriousness,  IMO I think a good idea.  Having to carry out your waste highlights how much <deleted> you have. Hopefully it make people conscious of their waste and think of alternatives.

All that assumes that they won't just dump the rubbish as soon as clear of the national park. But I would like to remain optimistic.

But why can't the park have a bin on the way out visitors can drop their garbage in.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Starting January 1st, tourists visiting national parks in Thailand will be required to carry their own plastic bags to contain the garbage they generate and take it out of the parks when they leave. The measure is part of the new approach to conserve the environment and to protect wild animals from ingesting plastic, which can be fatal.

Many years ago it was forbidden to bring plastic items into a national park, the drinks were all in glass bottles!
Today you charge very high park fees for what? What do your employees do? Why don't they keep it clean? It is impossible to avoid garbage ,!
Go back to the glass bottles on which you charge a small deposit that the customer receives back when he returns the bottle!
Prohibit the wearing of all kinds of plastic and finally, let your employees work or send them home!

2 minutes ago, Percy P said:

But why can't the park have a bin on the way out visitors can drop their garbage in.

That makes it the parks problem to deal with all the rubbish.  Perhaps in this way it teaches the visitors responsibility for their own waste. Many people note how messy Thais can be after a day out with family or friends at the beach or whatever. If things are to change then it starts like this.  Maybe in the future when people learn a bit more about how much waste they generate and they become considerate of the environment then maybe bins can be strategically placed.  But in reality who want bins all over the place in a natural environment anyway?

31 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Wouldn't it be better to supply Decent rubbish bins one has to pay Fee , sometimes a double Fee. Oh no that would be to easy .Now  most tourists will will dump their plastic rubbish bags (the ones they are trying to stop people from using) outside the park gate .There will a trail of rubbish for miles to deter the next tourists from coming back. One can't fix Stupid 

I don't need a rubbish bin to drop my litter in, If there is one ok otherwise I take it with me and dispose of if when I come across a bin.

Cigarette smokers throw their cigarette buts away mostly on the floor, why not put it back in the packet then discard the packet into a bin when the cigarettes have finished. 

4 minutes ago, 30la said:

Many years ago it was forbidden to bring plastic items into a national park, the drinks were all in glass bottles!
Today you charge very high park fees for what? What do your employees do? Why don't they keep it clean? It is impossible to avoid garbage ,!
Go back to the glass bottles on which you charge a small deposit that the customer receives back when he returns the bottle!
Prohibit the wearing of all kinds of plastic and finally, let your employees work or send them home!

What you bring with you take it away with you even if it lands up as litter.

57 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Surely they get a bag included in their 10x price entrance fee(?).

There shouldn't be any entrance fee for Thai people as they have paid out of taxes everything that is in the park including maintenance and staff wages.

6 hours ago, leeneeds said:

I thought the push was on to reduce the reliance on plastic bags, suppling biodegrade-able bags as part of an entry fee to use and take out of the park, that could be then deposited in a supplied and Emptied bin, would be more proactive.

If its taken out of the park theirs a good chance it will be throw out of the car, littering the country side.

If you look closely at the picture you will see that most of the garbage is in large black plastic bags . I seriously doubt that Thai tourist put their trash into these bags and threw them into the ravine . My guess... Park employed persons are taking garbage collected at the park and putting it into the black bags and then tossing them into the pit ....... 

21 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

That makes it the parks problem to deal with all the rubbish.  Perhaps in this way it teaches the visitors responsibility for their own waste. Many people note how messy Thais can be after a day out with family or friends at the beach or whatever. If things are to change then it starts like this.  Maybe in the future when people learn a bit more about how much waste they generate and they become considerate of the environment then maybe bins can be strategically placed.  But in reality who want bins all over the place in a natural environment anyway?

Quite agree, what good are taken out with me the wrappings if any are taken home. I don't need a rubbish bin if one's available ok ill use it.

4 hours ago, Chazar said:
4 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Good luck with that. We 'rent' our mango trees out to a village farmer because its too much work for us old people. He employs other men and women to spray trees and weeds, cover young fruit with bags and to harvest. I later find bottles stuffed under leaf piles, bags tucked in dying banana trunks and plastic cups dropped in the long grass. How you get people here to take out what they bring in I dont know. I have tried and failed.

laziness nothing  more

used to find empty and non empty bottles in my house, some hidden, some not.

the solution was to divorce the alcoholic wife.

7 minutes ago, Percy P said:

There shouldn't be any entrance fee for Thai people as they have paid out of taxes everything that is in the park including maintenance and staff wages.

Thats the way it should be,  but the same is true for Australians in Australia yet we must still pay entry fees. Unless you walk or cycle into a park then there are no fees. On a positive note everyone pays the same and there is no discrimination.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

But Thais talk about “tourist” visit the national park they are saying in because they are “tourist” having a “tour”.

is not some attack on foreigner like Fex imagine. Sure. 100%. The thai only listen to Thai language news and NOBODY say or think is the foreigner. 

But in general Thai will refer a foreigner as a Farage not a visitor. 

Never mind in general its understood. Take the litter home with you when you leave.

3 hours ago, neeray said:
4 hours ago, legend49 said:

Double pricing killed off tourists wants of going to these places. This new game will put the cement on top of the grave.

Thais are not charged double for being a tourist to Thai parks.

Double pricing? Charged double?

You need an up date guys

it's now X 5

here the photos of the 2 entry tickets in the last august 

thai girl friend = 20 bahts

me the farang = 100 bahts

and my try asking in thai to have the ''normal price'' presenting

my 5 years valid Thai driving license have had no effect at all

ticket park national thai 001.JPG

Don’t labour under the misapprehension that this is just a problem in Thailand and only Thais litter. There’s lazy people all over the world one only has to look at the side of the motorways in the UK to see some people don’t give a damn.

Changing the packaging to biodegradable would be much better and anyone caught littering should be put in litter chain gangs (like community service) picking up at litter hot spots in bright orange overalls displaying a visible deterrent to other would be litterers.

9 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Thats the way it should be,  but the same is true for Australians in Australia yet we must still pay entry fees. Unless you walk or cycle into a park then there are no fees. On a positive note everyone pays the same and there is no discrimination.

In the Uk there was talk about charging people togo into museum and art galleries. This was abandoned people complained that bllions had been paid out of tax prayers money for art and they weren't going to pay again to see what they had brought.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Then It would probably be a good idea to use the word "visitors" rather than tourists.

I venture to suggest that nowhere else in the world do they describe the various people (foreign and indigenous) who visit (for leisure purposes) attractions, museums, national parks, theme parks or funfairs, as anything other than visitors or perhaps, if paying for entry, customers.

I do hope you are not going to tell me that "Thailand not the same".

I know it isn't.

It tries very hard to be "different" and "special", like an insecure adolescent, trying to "assert" themselves.

But, like such an adolescent, ends up looking willfully contrary, awkward, embarrassing and irritating, with everyone wishing they would grow up.

I think the THAI economy needs to get hit harder.

Always blaming tourists "foreigners" for everything.

And as mentioned above always the bad dual pricing.

They really need a lesson of life. This dual pricing

hopefully will break down more of their economy.

14 minutes ago, SuwadeeS said:

I think the THAI economy needs to get hit harder.

Always blaming tourists "foreigners" for everything.

And as mentioned above always the bad dual pricing.

They really need a lesson of life. This dual pricing

hopefully will break down more of their economy.

dual pricing is here to stay, ask pretty much any thai about it and the vast majority will say that it's fine, no problem; foreigners are rich, they dont pay tax here, blah blah - conveniently ignoring the fact many thai's dont pay tax either... but turn it around and suggest thai's should pay more than locals when visiting other countries and they disagree... it's just the way of thinking here and it's not going to change.

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

I bet most of them will dump the rubbish very soon after leaving the park either by the roadside or in the first village they come to.

Nah, too lazy to do that. It'll get dumped behind the nearest rock or bush and beauty spots will end up looking and smelling like the roadsides and hedgerows already do.

Astonishing that a society bursting with nationalistic hubris can take so little pride in their own environment.

2 hours ago, nickstav said:

Tourists is not a good word to use in this instance. You are not a "tourist" to a national park, you are a visitor. I took it to mean all visitors, foreign and Thai. If they had just said visitors a lot of confusion would be avoided.

It's only the easily outraged old duffers getting confused.

Paranoia isn't just a country in central America!!

Archived