Tourists visiting national parks at New Year must have bags to carry their garbage

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stevomaui said:

If you look closely at the picture you will see that most of the garbage is in large black plastic bags . I seriously doubt that Thai tourist put their trash into these bags and threw them into the ravine . My guess... Park employed persons are taking garbage collected at the park and putting it into the black bags and then tossing them into the pit ....... 

Correct, the photo you are referring to is the parks landfill, which they state is fenced off

from wildlife. I've not been there so I can not say for sure if this is true or not.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Starting January 1st, tourists visiting national parks in Thailand will be required to carry their own plastic bags to contain the garbage they generate

Obviously this is against the one use plastic bag ban decided from the next 1st january.

It should be better to include with the entrance ticket a recyclable biodegradable bag

and collect it back at the exit, full of trash or empty. (Or get fined if you cant return it

because you have threw it somewhere in the park)

I remember as a child going to Spain on holiday.  A large bottle of pop was 16 Pesetas, 8 of which was a deposit. Let's have large deposits on returnable glassware and good ways of storing and transporting it (e.g. Beer Lao or British milk crates). Ban importation, production and use of single use plastic bags and disposable consumer plastics such as plates, spoons etc.  Use Tupperware type boxes - factories that make single use plastic bags should be compensated and given the opportunity to make reusable ziplock bags and containers. Take washable ziplocks and plastic boxes to the shop and buy loose food.  Every delivery truck that visits a store with a consignment in reusable crates, comes back with empties. In that kind of supply chain it would work as return trips are paid for already.  Shops will have to return to more traditional counter service, like they used to be but that's not such a bad thing either.

What's so hard about that?

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

But in general Thai will refer a foreigner as a Farage not a visitor. 

Never mind in general its understood. Take the litter home with you when you leave.

Only if the foreigner is a caucasion we say farang.

farang=caucasion.

we not call Chinese, african etc farang.

farang=caucasion 

59 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Then It would probably be a good idea to use the word "visitors" rather than tourists.

Tell PBS staff, not me. 

I venture to suggest that nowhere else in the world do they describe the various people (foreign and indigenous) who visit (for leisure purposes) attractions, museums, national parks, theme parks or funfairs, as anything other than visitors or perhaps, if paying for entry, customers.

Wrong. How many language can you speak?

Sound to me you only speak one language so have no experience how languages are different. 

I do hope you are not going to tell me that "Thailand not the same".

Thai language not the same as English. You imagine.

I know it isn't.

It tries very hard to be "different" and "special", like an insecure adolescent, trying to "assert" themselves.

If you can speak thai you will know you are wrong.

But you expert the thai brain right? Every one think the same you imagine.

But, like such an adolescent, ends up looking willfully contrary, awkward, embarrassing and irritating, with everyone wishing they would grow up.

This is news national. Everyone in thailand see it. Is about a deer who die because of the plastic problem.

The new law is to fix this problem. 

Not to be “racist” against the foreigner.

if you read the thai news, or watch the thai news you can see that. You just drama about translation one word. 

Ps 

i google search for you another English one. Here, not talk about foreign tourist. 

You should grow up. Not be sensitive to something that not happen.

This story not about your feelings, is about dead deer, the reason why and the new rule to try and fix the problem.

Nobody say it your fault! Not care about you.,care about the nature.

calm down

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-27/dead-deer-found-in-thailand-with-7kg-of-waste-in-stomach/11742712

1 hour ago, stevomaui said:

If you look closely at the picture you will see that most of the garbage is in large black plastic bags . I seriously doubt that Thai tourist put their trash into these bags and threw them into the ravine . My guess... Park employed persons are taking garbage collected at the park and putting it into the black bags and then tossing them into the pit ....... 

Correct. 

Landfill pit. Have fence around it so the animal can not go in and eat the plastic. One of the reason they look at why this deer dead.

on the link.

Thai are the ones which pollute the most, tourists (in most cases) are educated enough to look after the environment. It should read all visitors should bring their own bags. Given that fees are high for tourists, most visitors are Thais anyway. But thanks for the patronizing article.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Landfill pit. Have fence around it so the animal can not go in and eat the plastic. One of the reason they look at why this deer dead.

This landfill pit is just a shame and a lazy option

For sure no any animal can not jump over or pass trough this very symbolic bamboo fence

i hope you are joking

There's more to this story:

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa said on Tuesday that visitors will be given a black plastic bag to collect their rubbish, which they must give to rangers when they leave the park.

The trash will then be sorted, with recyclable items sold and money earned added to the park office's coffers.
This idea was inspired by the death of a wild deer in Khun Sathan National Park in northern Nan province. The deer, estimated to be about 10 years old, apparently died from consuming 7 kilogrammes of plastic waste and an item of underwear.

A little different to what is reported here!

wild deer, which was found dead last Thursday in Khun Sathan national park in Na Noi district 

Camping in Khao Yai National Park a few days ago there are wild Deer's walking around the campsite which is all very nice but saw Deer's steeling campers food and witnessed one eating my neighbors lunch including plastic bags.
I tried to take the plastic bag off the Deer but she wasn't having it other people their didn't do anything and some laughed thinking the Deer gad stolen my food.
Why don't they fence off the Camping site if only for the good of the Animals?
or the option would be to ban plastic bags completely but doubt anyone would take notice of that idea.

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

Joke.

Sarcasm because this story NOT about foreigner tourist throw rubbish in national park.

when I say I will shoot them, I thinking shoot thai people, not the foreigner.

is in the thai news. NOBODY mention the foreigner. Not many foreigner go there. Is 99.9% thai. 

But people like Fex want to make it story about himself. Nobody even think about the foreign tourist in the Nan national park. 

“Every single one of us” do not think same Fex. Sure.

Sorry Fex, this in the thai news. Not about you. Thai not care about you same you imagine. You not important in Nan, sure. 

You ever go to Nan Fex?

If mean foreign tourist would say “foreign tourist”

Maybe not wonderful imagination like you.

Here is what really happen Fex.

Calm down, not same you imagine.

https://www.one31.net/news/detail/16526

Yes, I go Nan already na. 

Not nice place. 

Many local put trash everywhere. 

I not like. 

3 minutes ago, Redline said:

Still can’t grasp the whole trash can thing ????

I was told by Thai people that Thais steal the public trash bins.

Not sure why since Thailand has had 0% unemployment for the last 232 years. And since every Thai is happy. 

Weird 

Maybe @Yinn know why Thailand cannot put the trash bin in public?

3 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

This landfill pit is just a shame and a lazy option

For sure no any animal can not jump over or pass trough this very symbolic bamboo fence

i hope you are joking

Not joking. 

Read the link.

And in France......

A5D4AC42-721D-4E5D-9710-08FB068A6BC9.jpeg

AA70E9B3-08B3-4E2B-9650-AB753226472B.jpeg

13 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Good move but please don't make this about tourists (implying non-Thais). The real issue is homegrown.

Please indicate where in the article it indicated non Thais, or where it said that only non Thais would be required to remove their garbage.

On 11/27/2019 at 8:01 AM, thailand49 said:

Buy more garbage cans with wheels, covers and flaps. Have them empty throughout the day end of the day removed them to a secure location for all the trash to be picked up.

Thai officials and the media who took the picture!  why in the world is there bags of trash throw into a area in this manner is critical thinking so lacking that one can't figure out the problem.  This is the same problem you have in Pattaya, look at the population yet you see no garbage cans anywhere and when there is one you have to walk KM to get to it reason why Thais learn to just throw it on the floor!

Not gonna work, they'll empty the bins behind the bushes.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, Yinn said:

Not joking. 

Read the link.

And in France......

A5D4AC42-721D-4E5D-9710-08FB068A6BC9.jpeg

AA70E9B3-08B3-4E2B-9650-AB753226472B.jpeg

Yes it's a shame too

but they are exceptions and illegal deposits

and the fines are big for the offenders (5000 bahts minimum) 

In Thailand the landfill pit is the norm for each village and if someone

throw the garbage in the nature the fine is some hundreds baths

For the hence and the animals, just look at the photo and you can

see any animal can get trough, a chicken wire should be a better protection in my opinion.

Archived