Bangkok’s tourist attractions are just a short subway ride away

snoop1130

Bangkok’s tourist attractions are just a short subway ride away

By The Nation

800_fe106cb7496fff1.jpg

Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA), Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and Bangkok Expressway and Metro Public Company Limited (BEM) are encouraging residents and tourists to visit various attractions near four MRT stations including China Town, temples, palaces and shopping areas.

Despite boasting modern technology, Wat Mangkon, Samyot, Sanam Chai and Itsaraphap stations have been designed to bring back nostalgic feelings from 100 years ago and to retain the identities of specific areas around each station.

From Wat Mangkorn Station, it’s an easy walk to Wat Mangkon Kamalawat, the largest and most important Chinese Buddhist temple, and various old fashioned shopping stores and street food vendors on Yaowarat Road.

The area around Sam Yot Station features architecture from the reign of King Rama V in the trademark colours of Sino-Portuguese design. It is also near the historic neighbourhood or Wang Burapha and a leisurely stroll away from the Chao Phraya River.

Some of the most beautiful architecture from the Rattanakosin era can be reached from Sanam Chai Station, which is surrounded by many tourist attractions such as Pak Khlong Talat Market, Museum Siam, the Temple of the Emerald Buddha and the Grand Palace.

And close to Itsaraphap Station, visitors can explore Wang Lang Market, sample delicious food nearby, and enjoy the sunset from the banks of the Chao Phraya River.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/travel/30378809

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-27

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

...while there is still no bts or mrt access to the grand palace, wat po and wat arun, the area where arguably most tourists want to visit... there could easily have been a station on the mrt beyond hualampong to sanam luang, it would have eased access to the area for tourists and for locals - as it's an important location national royal and annual events. a lack of strategic thinking and planning.

my parents are coming to town next month and unfortunately they want to see the places you note in your post.  i'm planning to use the MRT sanam chai station to visit grand palace and wat pho (not a very far walk to grand palace from the station).  and then the next station is across the river and i'm planning to exit there to see wat arun.  walk is a little farther so might take a taxi.  but these two stations certainly provide access to these venues.  they aren't within 100M but close enough and make it far easier to reach these places than before.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2019 at 9:53 AM, samsensam said:

...while there is still no bts or mrt access to the grand palace, wat po and wat arun, the area where arguably most tourists want to visit... there could easily have been a station on the mrt beyond hualampong to sanam luang, it would have eased access to the area for tourists and for locals - as it's an important location national royal and annual events. a lack of strategic thinking and planning.

Actually, the western section of the MRT Orange line will run right past the grand palace entrance with a large station at Sanum Luang (OR3). A cross river station at Sirraj (OR2) will also provide access to Wat Arun. (The Orange line Eastern section has been under construction June 2017 and should open early 2023. However, the tender for the Western section which was due in late 2017, has been delayed by the junta/current govt as it is now a PPP project - hopefully in the 1st half of next year it will be tendered).

In fact, since 1999 there has been a plan to run a line along this exact route. The BTS Silom line was originally planned to be extended from National stadium to Sanam Luang and then terminate across the river to interchange with the MRT Blue line. However, this was changed back in 2011 when the Orange line route was adjusted. The BTS Silom line will still be extended west 2.2 km to interchange with the future SRT Dark Red line southern extension.

Thus, really no lack of strategic thinking or planning since it has been a part of plans since 1999! Perhaps more ignorance for those that haven't bothered to do a google search? One can definitely be very critical of decision makers given significant delays in implementing these new lines/extensions as all have been delayed. IN this case, your criticism is just factually incorrect.

i might add that the first MRT line (blue) and the first two BTS lines (silom/sukhumvit) were likely planned for the locals daily commuting needs.  can focus on the needs of tourists later on (and it appears they have). 

as i noted above, my parents are coming to town next month.  when other friends have been in town, we take BTS to the river and hire a boat to get up river to the grand palace.  unfortunately, my dad gets 'sea sick', i've seen him get sick over the side of a 60 foot boat before it even left the dock.