How much money do you have to leave in account ?

I have searched ,nothing came up, and scrolled through posts,

but cannot find details about it.

Is it 400,000 Thb you have to leave in your account after

6 months ? I need to move some money to fixed account

today,but cannot remember how much you have to leave in

account,i will increase that account back up to 800K 3 months

before next extension,I want to try and do next extension with

fixed account funds,so I will have 2 options,if I get it on fixed,

then I can move the other 800  K into fixed account too.

Thanks in advance, regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I agree with everything you've said, but when I was at Jomtien yesterday the officer told me the 800k had to be in the bank three months before applying.

i said "it's two months isn't it?" He repeated that it was three months. Since it didn't matter to me either way, I just let it go.

So it's probably a good idea to allow yourself some extra wiggle room in case you come up with someone who believes it's 3 months.

Your correct. I think Jomtien is one imm office along with couple others that are rogue.

• Thanks 2

Also allow yourself a small 'buffer zone' above the 800K and 400K minimum limits.

This in order to avoid dipping below those limits.

Two horror-stories that actually happened, spring to mind:

- A guy who kept just the 800K on his account, but was charged the small annual account-fee by his bank, resulting in him going just under the required limit, and his extension of stay being denied.

- Another guy who was also walking on the edge, mistakenly made a relatively small purchase from his 800/400K account that resulted in his account going below the 400K limit, and subsequently his extension of stay being denied.

I also remember that you need to be quite careful on what kind of account you keep the required funds.

There seems to be a difference between a fixed account that earns you some interest on the amount parked there, and an account that also provides you some return but is actually a kind of insurance.  And the latter is not allowed for proving that you meet the IO financial requirements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Also allow yourself a small 'buffer zone' above the 800K and 400K minimum limits.

This in order to avoid dipping below those limits.

Two horror-stories that actually happened, spring to mind:

- A guy who kept just the 800K on his account, but was charged the small annual account-fee by his bank, resulting in him going just under the required limit, and his extension of stay being denied.

- Another guy who was also walking on the edge, mistakenly made a relatively small purchase from his 800/400K account that resulted in his account going below the 400K limit, and subsequently his extension of stay being denied.

I also remember that you need to be quite careful on what kind of account you keep the required funds.

There seems to be a difference between a fixed account that earns you some interest on the amount parked there, and an account that also provides you some return but is actually a kind of insurance.  And the latter is not allowed for proving that you meet the IO financial requirements.

So correct. The FD account must be be available for instant withdrawal. 

Also as good example of what Peter refers to regarding tragic stories. I recently had brain fade. I have a FD and savings with Green bank. 600+ and 200+. Then a savings with blue bank for day to day stuff. The blue ran down to low levels and recently on visit to oz gave green savings cards to partner and told her to use savings one if something serious occurs. Crazy!!!

The new requirements will be cause issues for some, with stuff ups  I almost did. 

If you can afford it just put 800k+ in a FD a/c and forget about it.

Just to add., I think Bangkok Bank can do update for FD account. 

CW requires activity on the day apart from update. For savings ac you can just deposit 100baht. The min deposit for my FD was 2k.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Hi,

If someone has a minute could you briefly explain what this discussion refers to? I am moving over to LOS in a bit and making sure I have 7K USD for the METV, but unsure of the shell game I need to play with my money to set myself up for renewals and such. Was going to open a Bangkok bank account since they have a branch in NY to avoid transfer fees. So basically wondering:

1. how much cash?

2.where? (BKK account vs US)

3. when?

...unless you guys are talking about something else

thank you in advance

Darren

16 minutes ago, Jamman5v1 said:

Hi,

If someone has a minute could you briefly explain what this discussion refers to? I am moving over to LOS in a bit and making sure I have 7K USD for the METV, but unsure of the shell game I need to play with my money to set myself up for renewals and such. Was going to open a Bangkok bank account since they have a branch in NY to avoid transfer fees. So basically wondering:

1. how much cash?

3. when?

thank you in advance

Darren

First up you will need a non o based on retirement. There are 2 ways to do that. First is obtain one in nearby consulate. Or do conversion from visa exempt or TV within Thailand. One important difference is non o obtained outside of los does not need to demonstrate funds came from outside of Thailand. Opposite if doing conversion at Thai imm. Either way the 800k baht will need be in Thai bank a/c.

After obtaining your non o which is for 90 days permission of stay you need apply for 12 month extension before your non o expires. That can be done 30 or at some imm office 45 days before expiry date of your non o untill date.

48 minutes ago, Jamman5v1 said:

Hi,

1. how much cash?

3. when?

thank you in advance

Darren

Hi Darren,

This topic is about annual extensions of permission to stay in Thailand. There are several options for proving that you meet the financial requirements.

I think you should take a look at the pinned topics in this section ...

https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/

I'm sure you will find your answers there.

If not, you can start a topic there. You will find several very reliable sources of information, not least Ubonjoe.

17 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I agree with everything you've said, but when I was at Jomtien yesterday the officer told me the 800k had to be in the bank three months before applying.

i said "it's two months isn't it?" He repeated that it was three months. Since it didn't matter to me either way, I just let it go.

So it's probably a good idea to allow yourself some extra wiggle room in case you come up with someone who believes it's 3 months.

I'm staying in Jomtien and did my last extension in May. It's 2 months before applying. News rules from March 1. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

I'm staying in Jomtien and did my last extension in May. It's 2 months before applying. News rules from March 1. 

And I was at Jomtien on 27 November and the person I was talking to insisted it was 3 months. I know what it's supposed to be and what other people have said about their experiences at Jomtien, but if you encounter someone in any office who interprets the rules differently that will be a problem you have to deal with, which is why I suggested people allow themselves some extra time with the money in the bank if possible.

Being right about the rules doesn't win you any prizes. Being flexible is far more helpful. In this case it didn't matter to me, but someone else could have a stressful day if he didn't want to have to get into an unproductive argument that he was unlikely to win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

And I was at Jomtien on 27 November and the person I was talking to insisted it was 3 months. I know what it's supposed to be and what other people have said about their experiences at Jomtien, but if you encounter someone in any office who interprets the rules differently that will be a problem you have to deal with, which is why I suggested people allow themselves some extra time with the money in the bank if possible.

Being right about the rules doesn't win you any prizes. Being flexible is far more helpful. In this case it didn't matter to me, but someone else could have a stressful day if he didn't want to have to get into an unproductive argument that he was unlikely to win.

Every person at desk 8 at Jomtien Immigration knows about the 2 months. Believe me. If you ask at the front desk,you can get any answer, wrong or correct, especially from the girls in plain clothes. They are not immigration officers. If you want a correct answer, ask the correct person. 

• Confused 1

With regard to asking an immigration officer a question and getting the correct answer. On the 17th April this year I applied for my Retirement extension at Nong Khai. It was refused because I was one day under the three months period. When I told them no it was only 2 months now the officer consulted with a colleague who told me that is not correct it is 3 months. I went back the next day and got my extension.

• Like 1

"Was going to open a Bangkok bank account since they have a branch in NY to avoid transfer fees. So basically wondering:"

Believe me, the Bangkok Bank gets their money in NY and in Thailand. It's quietly taken out of the exchange.  For Social Security I think it's $5 for NY branch and  500 baht for Thailand.  I think about $12 total, more or less, every month.  But the money is there every month and marked FT.  You don't have to pay wire fees though, which can be $35 or more depending on where the money coms from.  overall a good deal, for me at least.

The bank always gets something from you, 

1 hour ago, khastan said:

With regard to asking an immigration officer a question and getting the correct answer. On the 17th April this year I applied for my Retirement extension at Nong Khai. It was refused because I was one day under the three months period. When I told them no it was only 2 months now the officer consulted with a colleague who told me that is not correct it is 3 months. I went back the next day and got my extension.

Maybe they can't read thai up in Nong Khai. The new rules from March 1 were released way before that date, and has also been shown here. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Every person at desk 8 at Jomtien Immigration knows about the 2 months. Believe me. If you ask at the front desk,you can get any answer, wrong or correct, especially from the girls in plain clothes. They are not immigration officers. If you want a correct answer, ask the correct person. 

OK have it your way. Maybe it was the janitor who approved my renewal. I wasn't asking anyone a question I was getting my renewal processed successfully. The person doing it was providing a running commentary on what was required as he was doing it.

ive been using Chonburi immigration since before they moved from the soi off Beach Rd to Jomtien and understand who is an officer and never speak to trainees for anything other than a queue ticket. But you know best" Everything in Thailand happens consistently and in compliance with your expectations.

its amazing how anyone relating an experience and offering a caveat based on the experience has to deal with some self styled expert who thinks nothing exceptional ever happens at any immigrations office.

Edited by Suradit69

1 hour ago, LivingNThailand said:

"Was going to open a Bangkok bank account since they have a branch in NY to avoid transfer fees. So basically wondering:"

Believe me, the Bangkok Bank gets their money in NY and in Thailand. It's quietly taken out of the exchange.  For Social Security I think it's $5 for NY branch and  500 baht for Thailand.  I think about $12 total, more or less, every month.  But the money is there every month and marked FT.  You don't have to pay wire fees though, which can be $35 or more depending on where the money coms from.  overall a good deal, for me at least.

The bank always gets something from you, 

Bangkok Banks fee for receiving money is 0,15%, with a minimum of 200 baht (up to ~133000 baht). Maximum fee is 500 baht. 

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

OK have it your way. Maybe it was the janitor who approved my renewal.

Next time you want info about retirement extensions,ask at desk 8. They even have a piece of paper with the requirements. Just ask for it. 

• Confused 1

On 11/28/2019 at 7:27 AM, DrJack54 said:

Must keep balance of 800k 2 months prior to extension also 3 month post extension. After that keep minimum no less than 400k

Then 2 months prior to next extension have minimum 800k

800k Baht for 5 months total pre+post?

Edited by ravip

17 minutes ago, ravip said:

800k Baht for 5 months total pre+post?

Exactly and not below 400k after that, then back up to 800k two months before next extension. Just to add that two months before your next extension is not 2 months prior to your current "until date" it's 2 months prior to day you attend imm for your extension.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Maybe they can't read thai up in Nong Khai. The new rules from March 1 were released way before that date, and has also been shown here. 

And you think every immigration office,  let alone every immigrations officer knows and complies with every rule or regulation throuout Thailand?

How many weeks have you stayed in Thailand?

30 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Next time you want info about retirement extensions,ask at desk 8. They even have a piece of paper with the requirements. Just ask for it. 

OK at this point I have to assume you're a troll or suffer from a reading comprehension deficiency.

I wasn't seeking information or asking a question. I was getting my renewal approved by the people who approve retirement extensions. The comment I reported was made by an immigration officer, not a trainee or whatever.

Your alleged superior and condescending knowledge of how to deal with immigration is exhausting in the same way a cranky child can be exhausting.

A fully fledged immigration officer made the three month  comment as I was successfully getting my extension approved. You must be exceptionally new to Thailand or living in a bubble if you think there never are any exceptions to your rigid, constpated view of how things happen in Thailand. 

On 11/28/2019 at 9:13 AM, worgeordie said:

So 400 K it is, thanks

regards Worgeordie

Better take 400+ some …. as fees are deductible by surprise …. example 199Baht for sms subscription …, other are there to... which we don't mind and forget they exists 

Edited by david555

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Better take 400+ some …. as fees are deductible by surprise …. example 199Baht for sms subscription …, other are there to... which we don't mind and forget they exists 

Good advice. I always keep well over the limit. For folk using savings account, why not go 20k+ over, saves a potential stuff up.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1