Tourism: Pattaya/Jomtien v Hua Hin

sharecropper

it is so boring here in Hua Hin. nothing to do at all . no where to eat.

but i think Pattaya smells worse than Hua Hin.

i personally stuck my nose in the sewers in both towns on the same day and for sure Pattaya was really bad. and not just once. many times i stuck my head in the sewers to check.

and there was more vomit and urine on the streets in Pattaya. 

that was a month long survey by the way.  

i just want to say i love Pattaya. i am seriously looking at renting a condo there.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

did you make it to the Baan Khun Por Food Court where the live rock bands play? that is the new area. many of the restaurants around soi bintabaht were torn out last year. the man who owns that whole complex is making millions and putting many small restaurants out of business with all the cheap and very good food vendors. the party at night is at Panama, The Hilton, Cat Bar and Polo Club for Thais and Farangs. until 3am.   

did you get up to soi 94 or soi 88? or out to soi 6? this area has grown in the last three years. yes still sort of dead.

or more importantly to trendy Khao Takiap where the high end Chinese tourists are along with the Indians? Chinese and Indian people don't go to bars in the area you photographed. no way.  they are also on the beach during the day, in Bluport mall shopping and eating and in bed by 9pm.    

and yes you are right there are less WHITE PEOPLE in Hua Hin right now than in the past.

We're doing a lot of walking and relaxing, but little boozing or nightlife while we're here.

I really like Hua Hin, so the quietness works for me. But I do worry about people whose jobs rely on the tourist industry in the town.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sharecropper said:

But I do worry about people whose jobs rely on the tourist industry in the town.

I hear that, brother.  No social security and therefore no safety net for your average Thai. 

Let's be clear, the continuing painful exchange rate is #1 reason for the lack of tourists during high season.  There's nothing that can attract mass tourism back to LOS until the exchange rate is regularised to the satisfaction of the market.  

The only reason I come here with my Thai wife is because I'm fortunate enough to be able to absorb the additional crazy expense.  It's so expensive now that I don't even calculate the costs in GBP as I fear that I wouldn't bother. 

Saying that, I'm at my limit at 37 to 39 baht to 1 GBP.  Any lower and I'll have to reconsider until stabilisation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i personally stuck my nose in the sewers in both towns on the same day and for sure Pattaya was really bad. and not just once. many times i stuck my head in the sewers to check.

i just want to say i love Pattaya. i am seriously looking at renting a condo there.

Pattaya,what a beautiful place! Can't u derstand why the tourists aren't coming anymore. 

Who wouldn't want to rent or buy a condo there.?

• Haha 1

Don't get me wrong, Hua Hin has been quiet, there's no getting away from that.

But these photos don't really tell the full story.

The first two photos look like they are taken at the beach, which of course is quiet when it is dark. Hua Hin doesn't have the nighttime entertainment/beach bars like you find on the islands.

The other photos are taken down near Bintabaht and the area around the Hilton, which hasn't been that busy for years now. Where it was once centre of Hua Hin's nightlife, people don't go down there all that much anymore in my experience. 

Go to Tamarind or Cicada night markets which are pretty busy all year round, as is the open air eating place on Soi 88, and you'll see many more people. 

Soi 94 is also more popular now.

As for the smell in Hua Hin, the stink from the drains on the road down near the Centara is disgusting! 

Someone has put carpet over the drains to try and hide the smell but as you can imagine, it isn't very effective!

• Like 2

I enjoy HH for an occasional visit. But, I find Phetkasem to be very congested, and the pollution in HH is very high from the massive traffic. It does seem a lot slower than past years. But, that is the case throughout the country. Tourism is in a free fall, and alot of ex-pats are giving this whole thing a re-think, due to a highly racist and xenophobic administration and immigration dept. 

It would appear Thailand is no longer the center of the known universe. 

11 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Pattaya,what a beautiful place! Can't u derstand why the tourists aren't coming anymore. 

Who wouldn't want to rent or buy a condo there.?

Well its not a beautiful city, no way but its still fun city. I live with my Thai wife on a gated community 7km outside Pattaya. But still get the urge to go into the town for the nightlife 2 or 3 times a week.

Very few of the expat residents bother with the centre of town these days. The offerings - both food and beer, inland from the railway line at 80, 88 and 94 make the centre look quieter than the town actually is. There's a smattering of erm... nightlife too - but most snowbirds and retirees aren't really looking for that to the same extent as might be true in Pattaya. Soi 94 alone has about 20 bars, 20 massage parlours and at least a dozen eating places, probably more. Even beach wise, you are likely to find most of the Scandinavians head straight down 94 and cross to Soi 75, rather than go up to the centre of town - and with Blu port and Market Village both south of Hin Lek Fai and easily accessible from the 'country road' side, there's rarely any reason to cross Petchkasem.

Well, in about 1 year we (Norwegian/Swedes at least) lost about 17-18% of the value of our currency towards the THB. Nowhere near my treshold but I know pensioners here that are hovering at the red line.

I will enjoy Thailand as long as I have the Thailand Elite visa and then seek greener pastures after that if necessary (in about 5 years).

I love Hua Hin for being a sleepy relaxed town. I get whatever goods I need here and love riding the motorbike down along the beaches southward. Dont really care about the nightlife as thats not my interest. I also dont care about the price of beer in the bars as I dont go there at all.

There is a noticable gloom here in the businesses. The massage places I go to complain that the "high season" has not really arrived yet. Went to my favourite place on Wednesday about 3 pm, and I was the only person in there. This place has around 10 masseuses and they were all sitting outside bored.

Having my Elite visa I kinda of feel that I have bought a first row seat watching an escalating trainwreck. The THB can strenghten another 20% without me feeling the crunch. But it is strangeling the tourist industry and likely the economy in general as the exports will keep sliding. Why would any large business want to create production facilities/factories in Thailand when there are better options in the nearby countries? Business is after all ALL about the bottom line.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, RobbyXNorway said:

I will enjoy Thailand as long as I have the Thailand Elite visa and then seek greener pastures after that if necessary (in about 5 years).

It will be very interesting to see what Pattaya / Thailand looks like in 5 years time. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Geez I looked up and saw a head pop through the grating. So that was you huh. Didn't even say hi.....

18 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I've never been to Hua Hin but that is a certifiable ghost town.

I've lived here for 20 years, before Market Village, Bluport, McDonalds, Burger King etc etc.  The Bintablock is very quiet these days and very overpriced.  The bar scene/restaurants have moved on to Soi 80/94 to name a couple.  Kun Por food court is extremely busy with live music.

As for being a 'ghost town', try parking your car after navigating the traffic jams!  When I came here, you could park your car anywhere day or night.  Now it's not easy to park your bike.

Give me Hua Hin any day over Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in Hua Hin a couple of months ago for 3 nights and it was very boring. At times during the day I had the beach to myself. I sat in the same bar 2 nights in a row and was the only customer all night long. I shot several free games of pool with the girls working there and were just as bored as I was.